Out of Province student applying for College/University

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dustincanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Out of Province student applying for College/University

Post by dustincanuck »

I am from the Yukon and currently completing Grade 12. I recently applied to Sault, Confederation and Seneca College and I am just curious to know my chances of being accepted/what the best school to got to is as well as the best city to live in. My Grade 11 average was an 81 and the plan is to pull it up into the mid 80's for grade 12. Also, I applied to Seneca but on the admission requirements it said that I needed Calculus 12 which I don't think I'll be able to swing, is there any chance of me getting accepted there without it? I have also looked into The University of Waterloo's Environment and Aviation program but that program will put me out like 85 grand in tuition alone. So, my question is to any out of province graduates of any of these programs or anybody else with an opinion on what I should do, What were your grades like when you applied? Degree vs Diploma vs Flight School? I can literally do the Confed Diploma and an entire Bachelor's Degree for less than the Waterloo program. And, for Graduates of any other aviation college/uni program, how did you manage to pay for the program? I know I can pay for some with savings, scholarships and a hefty student loan but it will be very, very difficult. Thanks! Oh and I have already read the post regarding this exact question but it did not really answer my questions.
---------- ADS -----------

bverwegen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Out of Province student applying for College/University

Post by bverwegen »

I believe preference is given to Ontario residents, as the province provides funding to each school. Give each school a call just to be sure, and also get your application in on time to increase your odds.

MartinB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MartinB »

Edit: I thought I knew everything. Was I ever in for a treat!

Last edited by MartinB on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustincanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dustincanuck »

Thank you so much for those replies! Makes me a bit more at ease :) Yah recently I heard a lot of bad stuff about the Seneca program, graduates sometimes trying to avoid telling employers that they were trained there hahaha. Yah I was thinking of just working and building hours instead of doing post sec but with Confed's tuition price (15000ish), it's hard to not take that offer. Thanks again for the help!

Laner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Laner »

MartinB wrote:First thing, don't even consider Seneca. It is not a good move (it was years ago, but not anymore) and I'm glad I declined my offer there (The education you receive there is substandard, some of the profs are ridiculous, and the sole thing they want there is your money based on my very limited experience with them and the experience of my class mates who went there last year; the degree is pretty much useless; some of their flight training practices are bizarre as you'll see mentioned around the forum; the program is very expensive and there's word that they will lose their government subsidies soon making the program even more expensive to the point that you might as well go to UWO; and a bunch of other reasons). Coming to the Sault or Confed are your best options in terms of doing a post secondary program dedicated to aviation as they get you out into the industry relatively quickly and they are generally well known and respected around Canada. One thing you should know is that in commercial aviation in Canada, post secondary education is valued a hell of a lot less than your hours. You can make it to the major airlines without post secondary (look up the matrix system on the forum, you'll find out why). The only reason I would go to Sault or Confed is because with the subsidies, the whole program ends up being about half the price of going to a local FTU. As for applying out of province, I'm from Alberta and I made it into one of the mentioned subsidized programs with a grade 12 average of about 71% and the exact same grade 11 average as you so you're good to go in terms of marks. If you insist on getting a degree, do something useful that could help you out if you lose your medical and do flight training on the side. I'm sure there will be a lot of people on here who will argue that you should get a trade rather than a degree. What ever you decide to do, try to avoid debt as much as possible (if you need to tap into loans, keep it to a minimum), because you'll be making absolute sh** money when you graduate which makes paying your dues quite difficult.
this guy is an expert !

in other news, if you don't want to spend a lot/accumulate debt just live at home and work at the same time. I've received OSAP and have worked part-time for 3.5 years (yes thats 3.5 years at sault college, it is a three year program, but that is another story) and I've spent much more than I would have if I just stayed home and did my training privately. Not to mention you can finish within a year and start working faster. Also, banks have been known to approve some people for a "pilot loan".

pilot95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilot95 »

Ya, I wouldn't go to Seneca. Just flown to their training airport (Peterborough) and their training is bull crap. Almost had a mid-air collision while landing because they weren't making radio calls. A "prestigious" school without practicing the basics and foundational skills of a pilot is a joke. And then their aircraft in front told us they were doing a full stop, but ends up doing a touch and go...and goes up again. My friend and I had to overshoot. Unnecessary safety issues that can be mitigated from proper communication skills and training.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Unfortunately for the OP, there are no flight schools in the Yukon. Staying at home is not an option. My confed class was about 10% not from Ontario.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

pilot95 wrote:And then their aircraft in front told us they were doing a full stop, but ends up doing a touch and go...and goes up again. My friend and I had to overshoot.
Out of curiosity, why would you have to overshoot because the aircraft in front used less time on the pavement vs a full stop and having to taxi off?

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

deleted

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustincanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dustincanuck »

Just a quick update to this, I was accepted to UWaterloo's Geography and Aviation program. I have accepted the offer but am currently sorting through some medical issues (I posted recently about it). Not quite sure if Waterloo will be the best choice but I am confident that it will be a really good choice. I got into Sault and got put on the waitlist for Confed, also got into MtA( BSc Aviation) and still waiting on Western (BMOS- CAM). As long as I can sort through my medical issues in the next few months I will be off to Waterloo.

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Look into the BCIT program as well

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I've heard of folks getting a mailbox in providence and using that as a "residence".

dustincanuck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dustincanuck »

Yes I have also looked into BCIT, unfortunately I have to wait to apply for that until this fall because their intake is in April/May. I have heard good things about BCIT but also that if you're going to go the "college" route, to go to Confed or Sault because of the subsidies. I got into Sault and pay the same as everyone else if I choose to go there.

Return to “Flight Training”