Air Canada Pool

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada Pool

Post by cdnpilot77 »

It sounds like he is asking about a cadet type of program sponsored by the airline. Didn't Air Canada have this a short time ago with Georgian? How did that one work out? Are any of the cadets online yet?
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

cdnpilot77 wrote:It sounds like he is asking about a cadet type of program sponsored by the airline. Didn't Air Canada have this a short time ago with Georgian? How did that one work out? Are any of the cadets online yet?
Lets hope it doesn't work out. There are plenty of experienced pilots out there. The only reason for the Georgian (AC?) cadet program is that they want cheap inexperienced seat ballast that won't complain about the poor wages.

Let’s Go Brandon
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

I'm not debating the merits or hindrances of that program, that's a whole other topic. I was simply curious of how it worked out so far if anyone has made it through the program yet.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

It's 5 years before any one will see the inside of an air Canada airplane. 1 year in Florida 4 years at ggn then onto AC program started a year ago

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Slappy the Squirrel »

Sounds like another pilot bid came out yesterday for Feb 2015.

More bad news with regards to hiring, there are only 12 new hire positions showing, in other words a reduction of one job from the last bid.

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

12 Vacancies is accurate, and sadly I can't see them running a course with those numbers when many positions are still double crewed.

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

I don't understand why they run interviews if they don't plan to hire. I know that they want to populate the pool but it is not fare for the guys or gals who are looking to get in at AC. I don't remember have seen anywhere where a company let people waiting for months even years in the pool. It's better to say, where not hiring because we don't need pilot. Sad.... :(

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DBC »

I think the company did plan to hire, but misread how the retirements after the age 60 ruling changed would work out. Under the old rules we would have hired 200 or so in the past two years, but the vast majority of people seem to be continuing past age 60 and the company lost the ability to plan with a fair amount of certainty.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Just do what the US carriers did - add 5 years to all age 60 based retirement projections then subtract 10-15% for medical and early retirement. Then you will have your attrition numbers.

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Email to the pool went out today. There was some new information, none of it good for us poolies.

There will be no new pilots hired until spring 2015 at the earliest. The pilot hiring ad online is being taken down as a result. There are currently 60 candidates in the pool, but a few more may be added since they are still processing files following interviews completed recently.

All in all, some very rotten news in fact.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The age 60 'bubble' has simply moved to age 65. When it starts, over 1000 AC pilots will retire over a 7.5 year time frame. Be patient.

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Agree on the be patient....but don't run interviews just to fill a pool of potential candidates that will wait over a year to get a call :cry: ....but I understand that the new rule as screwed up the whole planning of how many retirees AC would need to be replacing. :roll:

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by powerbrian »

To all of you poolies: what are your times looking like right now?

Slappy the Squirrel
Rank 5
Rank 5

I guess it's just frustrating that AC told some our our current employers that we would be hired in fall 2013. This does nothing for job security while waiting endlessly for a call.

arcadia
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by arcadia »

Last edited by arcadia on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

What's the ballpark experience level looking like for the last round of interviewees?

noalternative
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by noalternative »

Lemon wrote:What's the ballpark experience level looking like for the last round of interviewees?
Seating capacity of Tropicana Field in TB is 40k. They sold out the other day. Capacity of Rogers Centre in 54+. Ballpark is anyone's guess. Buds of mine have been put in the pool or hired within a 2800-5000 hour range. Ballpark indeed.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Air Canada is now offering leaves of absences of up to 3 years duration, for pilots interested.

That doesn't sound like a company thinking they will be hiring any time soon.

planeless
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planeless »

where did you hear that fanblade?

DBC
Rank 3
Rank 3