DC-9 Old accident report seems absent from online data.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

DC-9 Old accident report seems absent from online data.

Post by GWK »

Wondering if anyone can confirm, regarding an old air incident back in the late 70's that does not seem to appear in 'the incident record' online.
Late '70's (maybe April/77-79?): Sydney, Nova Scotia...Air Canada DC9 skids off runway, crumpling nose gear and breaking main gear (after hitting a low concrete abutment. I have a picture somewhere and believe it was CF-TME aircraft # 730. Thx.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: DC-9 Old accident report seems absent from online data.

Post by Old fella »

If my memory serves me correctly an Air Canada DC-8 went off the end in YHZ in the 70's as well landing on rwy 15 at the time, also wasn't there a DC-9 that went off the end on a rejected T/O in yyz sometime in the 70's resulting in a fatality.

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by crj_705 »

"Get out your spray-cans boys!" Ooops, they didn't have spray paint back in the 70's, sorry! :rolleyes:

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

I was a First Officer on the DC9 in those years, and thus recall getting the news of the accident.

YQY was an uncontrolled airport at the time; the Aeradio operator was the only radio contact that the crew had prior to landing. There was no JBI report taken and no report of runway contamination of any sort, so there was nothing to indicate to the crew that the runway was unsuitable for landing, prior to the flight commencing its approach and landing. It was contaminated with a layer of ice.

The Captain of the flight, now retired, lives in Ontario.

sidestick stirrer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sidestick stirrer »

As a DC-9F/O landing in Sydney one cold day, I saw it when it was awaiting repair, sheltered partly under tarps and resting on wooden cribs, the main gear pushed back up into the flaps and damage to the nose gear.
I remember thinking that it would take a lot of manpower and money to ever get it back in the air.
Subsequently flew it many times. All of our DC-9's had an ink "rating" scribbled along the top of the side-opening window, the number corresponded to how well it landed and it was usually accurate, although a low rating may have induced anxiety in us young pilots and thus became a self-perpetuating thing.
I think this particular DC-9 picked up its own moniker ( as did the Gimli Glider) after this runway excursion and it was written up by the rating but cannot recall what it was. But I do remember hearing that it had a loss of separation on its first test flight after repair and also noticed that it required the least re trimming in flight of any of the almost-fifty airplanes in the fleet.
How the McD repair team accomplished this extraordinary feat in the harshest season and out of doors, I cannot imagine...

GWK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GWK »

Great info, Sidestick S. . Thanks. I have a photo around somewhere, but have misplaced it. A friend of mine who worked on the ramp in YHZ (later quit and went on to fly for AC) had taken the pic. It must have been quite the re-fit. I think I recall another incident where a reverse bucket deployed between YUL and YYZ on another 9, told by an old neighbour (AC Cpt) from YUL. Lots of stories out there, I'm sure. I recall chatting with the Cpt of the ultimately ill fated #720 after the tailcone blowout. Dust/crap sucked out of every nook and cranny up front...then heavy duty task to 'flare' on approach...ah, the good old days? Cheers.

Return to “Air Canada”