New hire schedule.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

New hire schedule.

Post by proper »

For those in the know, would you please be able to offer some insight on new hire schedule in YYZ or YUL for the mainline narrowbody side?
Specifically days worked per month, average daily credit etc?

Thank you kindly
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: New hire schedule.

Post by altiplano »

You'll be on reserve if mainline. 12 days + 6hrs off. You can probably expect to fly all of the days on call and possibly even into some of your days off depending on several factors. Min credit is 4:25. You are guaranteed 75 hours/month your first 4 years, or better if you fly more or if the guarantee is higher on a busy month. Once off reserve, narrowbody max is 16 days a month...

If you go rouge you will get a block immediately, number of days worked seems variable depending on the season, no minimum daily credit but you get a 77.5 hour/month guarantee.

dream chaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dream chaser »

How long typically before someone becomes a junior block holder?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Anyone's guess... Depends on the hiring cycle, when you get hired and how the bids go... Could be immediate, could be years.

dream chaser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dream chaser »

I know it would be a guess, but what has it been typically in the last while. Or let me ask it this way. What percentage of any given list does the reserve positions amount to? Thanks.

MRP
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MRP »

It is really hard to predict what will happen to a new hire schedule at mainline. Really it depends on when the next serious wave of hiring starts. For what its worth, when I started in the Spring of 2012 (mid to end of the last big wave) I went onto the EMJ YYZ and was holding a block as soon as my line check was done and within a year could hold a block on the mainline 320 if I wanted it. The guys hired a few classes behind me in the late fall of 2012 are still on reserve (the ones on the EMJ in yyz at least), partly due to the slowdown in hiring, the fact that all new hires for most of the next year were assigned to Rouge and also partly due to the shrinking EMJ fleet.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

dream chaser wrote:I know it would be a guess, but what has it been typically in the last while. Or let me ask it this way. What percentage of any given list does the reserve positions amount to? Thanks.
7% reserve is in the contract, but that is averaged somehow across the months/fleets I think and can vary based on the company's requirements/projections.

Return to “Air Canada”