Pilot Shortage

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JayDee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pilot Shortage

Post by JayDee »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/pilo ... 3dfb0.html

"Changes are also part of a continuous system-wide re-evaluation of the markets it serves, Delta officials said. The air carrier must determine where demand is greatest for a finite number of resources. Limited resources include a fixed number of aircraft, airport assets and personnel — including pilots.
Many in the aviation industry believe that the nation has entered into a pilot shortage, a critical issue that will begin to affect small airports — and medium-sized airports like Tulsa — at a level above the impact it already seems to have had"
---------- ADS -----------

Smitty
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Pilot Shortage

Post by Smitty »

This may have been posted before...worth the read.

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/ ... l?page=all

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt106

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'd be happy to fly for a regional airline and will do so once they offer a respectable wage. Everybody knows there is no shortage of pilots, just a shortage of pilots with a money tree in their back yard that they use to subsidize their career.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

goingnowherefast wrote:I'd be happy to fly for a regional airline and will do so once they offer a respectable wage. Everybody knows there is no shortage of pilots, just a shortage of pilots with a money tree in their back yard that they use to subsidize their career.

Unfortunately you are the minority of one, as pilots always have, and will, grab the left/right seat even if they have to pay for the "privilege" of flying the airplane.
It's just one hundred years old but this profession is second only to the "oldest profession" in reverse :toimonster:

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Holy crap, there's a pilot shortage??! So that's why my phone is ringing off the hook. I've been beating people away like crazy. Beating them off left and right. Beating them off with both hands!

Blue Side Up
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blue Side Up »

DanWEC wrote:Holy crap, there's a pilot shortage??! So that's why my phone is ringing off the hook. I've been beating people away like crazy. Beating them off left and right. Beating them off with both hands!
Phrasing win :lol:

ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

Depends on where you are located. Canada has always been a saturated market full of many well trained and experienced pilots at all levels of the business. Upgrades at the major employers are what 8,10 to 14 years maybe longer. That is on narrow body aircraft. How long for an upgrade on a wide body?

In SE Asia airlines are reducing flights and parking some aircraft, not many but some because they don't have experienced Captains in particular. You have plenty of entry level FO's but a real shortage of Captains. When you have new B777-300 only operating 1 trip a day and not a true long haul because you don't have crew then there is a shortage.

Doesn't help Joe Pilot in Saskatoon or Calgary but it influences those numbers everyone likes to quote in the Business journals.

Return to “Air Canada”