Pension

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pension

Post by tbaylx »

Rockie wrote:
fish4life wrote:I realize that being a DB holder you need younger people to keep contributing to keep it a float but honestly again as a younger guy I have zero desire to contribute to something that won't be there when I retire... Kinda like how my taxes go to support the OAS payments
Incorrect. The pension is a fund and no one's pension is funded by pilots behind them, nor will it disappear should the company go bankrupt. I don't know about OAS, but the CPP is also a very healthy fund in its own right that will also remain if the government went bankrupt. It is not part of the general government account and its benefits are not paid out through taxation.

Once again I encourage you to do a lot more reading.
OAS is paid out of general tax revenues vs the CPP which is a managed investment. As Rockie mentioned CPP is considered a well managed fund that generates excellent returns and is self sustaining. OAS is highly unlikely to disappear, however the age at which you may begin to collect may very well change, as it should as people live longer.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Air Canada”