YYC Base? YYC/YEG commuters?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

connormcdavid
Rank 0
Rank 0

YYC Base? YYC/YEG commuters?

Post by connormcdavid »

What is commuting like for a new hire/junior pilot living in Edmonton or Calgary these days? I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I'd like a fresh perspective. I think things have changed since that thread. My understanding is that recently there have been both short-haul and RP positions available to new pilots. Is there any truth to that? Essentially I'm wondering if a reasonable commuting schedule would be attainable within the first 1-3 years or would a move to your base city be the only way to preserve a decent quality of life? I'd particularly like to hear from pilots currently living in YYC/YEG and commuting.

Also, with expansion in YYC, has anyone heard about a possibility of a YYC pilot base?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: YYC Base? YYC/YEG commuters?

Post by aV1aTOr »

If you want to work at Air Canada, that should be your basis for decision. Current new hire vacancies, pairing trends, and fleet plans change constantly. What seems like an easy commute now could be hell in 12 months. Vice versa. Think of all the 330 guys living in YYC a little over a year ago. They had a sweet gig. Then it all evaporated.
And be prepared to get assigned as a new hire to a position you didn't want, and be frozen there for 4 years (as per the contract).
My point is, if you like the company and want to make a career there, your current snapshot of commuting between a random city pair on a certain equipment schedule should not be considered a sure thing at all.
Likelihood of YYC becoming a pilot base is slim, moreso because of ACPA and less because of the company, from what I've heard. I can't speak definitively.
Sorry if this wasn't helpful, but at least it was truthful.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

aV1aTOr wrote:And be prepared to get assigned as a new hire to a position you didn't want, and be frozen there for 4 years (as per the contract).
This is only half the truth. You are allowed to bid to a different base, even if that means a different type, once in the first 4 years.

Given the amount of movement on the horizon once they top of the list starts hitting 65 YOS.... Or age 65 whatever it is now, you will not likely be handcuffed to any one position and if you are, then you will probably be moving up in seniority to help offset that.

Cheers
Jimmy

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
aV1aTOr wrote:And be prepared to get assigned as a new hire to a position you didn't want, and be frozen there for 4 years (as per the contract).
This is only half the truth. You are allowed to bid to a different base, even if that means a different type, once in the first 4 years.
You are absolutely right Jimmy, I forgot this feature of the new contract. And I agree that movement *should* really be piecing up over the next few years, so long as the music keeps playing….

Doug Moore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Doug Moore »

once they top of the list starts hitting 65 YOS....
Oh yeah, now that's funny ... :lol: :mrgreen:

MeAndMrPenguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MeAndMrPenguin »

This is not an easy question.

I commute to YVR on the EMB. I hold a block so this is an easy commute. I get a lot of overnights at home. I can usually check in mid day and check out with two flights to spare. The 1 in 50 flight attendant rule has freed up a second jump seat as well. Between WJ and AC you have about 25 flights a day. For me this commute works. I get more nights at home, don't pay PST, land transfer tax, gas tax, bigger mortgage, Health premiums nor ICBC pillaging.

Downside: its $80 return due to A.I.F. Hotels run $70 a night if you need them.

Now, as for new hires...this all depends on how fast things are moving. Upward movement means off reserve quicker. Reserve and commuting don't mix to well unless you have someone to crash with and don't mind divorce. Rouge is really popular so I don't think one can expect to get on rouge as a new hire in the future. Under the new contract, and 4 year fixed pay, you can expect to be placed anywhere at the bottom of a list. This makes getting off reserve harder.

I don't think a YYC base is likely. Just my opinion.

Return to “Air Canada”