Air Canada Service is bad

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bushed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada Service is bad

Post by Bushed »

---------- ADS -----------

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

Every airline whether employee or procedures is bound to piss someone off at some point. I've experienced it on every airline I've flown on as a pax and I'm sure most of you have as well. This is wide spread to every industry. It's human nature for one to have a bad day, takes discipline though not to show it or let it out on a customer. Some people are just genuine asshats, again we get this everywhere. Somehow bad customer service and policy gets sensationalized in the airline industry.

The source of policy comes from the need for maximize profits in a industry that at most times has slim margins, mostly due to heavy taxation. Here we should blame the government, because they're the one entity that's hated more than airlines.

Doug Moore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Doug Moore »

co-joe wrote:... the lady was hassling everybody equally. She seemed so sure my bag was too large ...
It would seem that the lady was simply trying to do her job. Carry-on luggage is out of control, with passengers boarding unchallenged with over-sized, over-weight and over the limit number of pieces of carry-on. I would commend the person for trying to do what too few others do and that is: enforce the carry-on limits in terms of size, weight and number. Problem is, when so many pax get away with it so frequently they think that the limits don't really apply, and particularly to them because, well, "last flight I was allowed to take this on board". I agree that it's frustrating when you know that your bag is legal and you are challenged anyway, but it's hard to tell visually, particularly when so many bags are close to the limit, but nonetheless over the legal size. My hat is off to the lady who had the courage to do what she's paid to do because I suspect it's no fun watching pax after pax approach the gate laden down with gear and knowing that the person you're about to challenge isn't going to be very happy with you.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

As the flats of beer start to pile up on the dock and the boss is looking at the weather coming in, you say to yourself " Do I take the extra over-gross load, like the PSA lady DIDNT take the oversize carry-on ? Hypocritical ?

Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Ok...I think this seems a little rectifying. And if you guys want to accuse me of being a TROLL, then why not. I do confirm with the opening comment: Yes....Air Canada service is BAD and YES employees there are SLACKERS and HATE their job!

It seems that people that have written in this forum have no experience in what GOOD treatment and GOOD service is. And this IRRITATES me enough to be able to TROLL back. If you want to COMPARE with services, then please EXIT the CANADIAN AIRSPACE and look at OTHER NATIONAL carriers. Air Canada is a major airline and YES it CAN be compared by other airlines.

Air Canada is a national main carrier....lets compare with NATIONAL carriers. So you guys want to compare AC shitty service against Lufthansa, British Airways, Finnair, Alitalia, LOT?????!!! Please be my guest and go ahead and give me points that point at AC being as good as the European counterparts. I'm not even going to go to the Asian carriers such as Cathay or JAL because thats out of this galaxy in comparison.

Air Canada is the worst compared all other international carriers in its CATEGORY. Yes they might have a cool and new fleet but god does the way they treat people suck beyond acceptable limits.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Air Canada is a national main carrier....lets compare with NATIONAL carriers. So you guys want to compare AC shitty service against Lufthansa, British Airways, Finnair, Alitalia, LOT?????!!! Please be my guest and go ahead and give me points that point at AC being as good as the European counterparts. I'm not even going to go to the Asian carriers such as Cathay or JAL because thats out of this galaxy in comparison.

Air Canada is the worst compared all other international carriers in its CATEGORY. Yes they might have a cool and new fleet but god does the way they treat people suck beyond acceptable limits.
Well let's see in order of importance. They don't crash (pilots seem older), they are mostly on time, they don't lose my baggage, they reward me with upgrades every now and then, the lounges are not bad with showers and not bad food, the staff are 99% of the time polite, and the only times I've seen them flustered the pax deserved it. Business class with the pods is fantastic! Way better than the side by side so I'm disappointed with the new 777 seating but that is a nice plane.

US airlines etc. constantly loose my baggage and the lounges are nowhere near as nice, but prices are cheaper, but they don't usually have entertainment systems except on long haul, but they had Wifi over the US early which is rather nice. No comparison to Air Canada. I avoid US airlines when I can. Don't care if it costs me a few hundred more for AC.

Lufthansa .. very tightly packed but I guess Rouge is going that way too. Food .. yikes.. and service .. well a bit germanic, boarding planes in the rain from busses.. come on. no entertainment systems most of the time (very young pilots).
Air France - don't recall any entertainment systems for flights in Europe. food was not bad, service not too friendly.
German Wings .. kinda fail my first criteria (took them a week before their 'accident')... very young pilots.

British Airways - ok on par with Air Canada I guess but Heathrow .. yikes.

Singapore - very nice, better than Air Canada, the 380 is lovely, charming hostesses, fantastic entertainment, superb lounges.
Emirates - very nice, better than Air Canada, the 380 is lovely.

Malaysian - well they fail my first criteria

Quantas - very nice no problems loved the 747s.

So in AC holds up very well compared to the other big carriers and frankly if you are grumbling I think its because you simply don't have enough experience travelling and are making judgements based on a single incident. Also I think if you make any judgements on anything based on what the media says you are really naive.

The bottom line is that travel sucks .. even with a good airline it is a horrid experience, all they can really do is make it a bit more tolerable and Air Canada does just fine in my opinion.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I have only flown on a handful of carriers so I won't comment on who's best. I will say, that when dealing with 150+ different personalities you are bound to find someone who has a complaint, legitimate or not. This is not unique to aviation, it's true in any customer service industry.

This guy seems to have found a news outlet willing to be sympathetic and to write about the big bad corporation of Air Canada. While perhaps he should be entitled to some kind of reimbursement, his claim seems a little excessive for a single night stay.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

CGZRO, I think you have the discussion totally wrong. This conversation is not about how pretty and big their planes are, but simply SERVICE and EFFICIENCY: including being served with a smile vs. being served with a frown (Air Canada).

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

The biggest problem with air travel today is not with the airline staff, it's with the passengers.

In the good ole days a portion of those people would have been on the bus, where they belonged. Now they're on the airplanes with their multi-coloured hair and sleeveless tee-shirts, trying to stuff over-sized bags into the bins, keeping people waiting in the aisles while they very meticulously fold their jackets before taking their sweet time getting into their seats. I don't need to get a paper, because the 300-pound guy next to me will have his in my face.

Air travel used to be a civilized experience, and passengers dressed up a bit. Now we have to arise at some un-godly hour, suffer with $100 dollar taxi rides to an airport halfway to our day's destination, pay extra fees for things that used to be free and endure the indignity of airport "security".

On the other hand, air travel is relatively safe (though not always speedy) and you're still probably less likely to get beheaded on an airplane than you are on a bus. Still, I long for the days when you walked from the ticket counter directly onto the airplane, even if it was an old Viscount.

To get back on-topic; I've found Air Canada counter staff to be quite nice to deal with. Well ..... maybe not in Montreal, but everywhere else.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Sky_conqueror you seem very angry for someone who has been asking about hiring at Jazz/GGN/Porter/Air Transat/Encore as well as the PML from the regionals to AC.

Let me guess.....Encore FO?

duranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by duranium »

Sky_Conqueror wrote:Ok...I think this seems a little rectifying. And if you guys want to accuse me of being a TROLL, then why not. I do confirm with the opening comment: Yes....Air Canada service is BAD and YES employees there are SLACKERS and HATE their job!

It seems that people that have written in this forum have no experience in what GOOD treatment and GOOD service is. And this IRRITATES me enough to be able to TROLL back. If you want to COMPARE with services, then please EXIT the CANADIAN AIRSPACE and look at OTHER NATIONAL carriers. Air Canada is a major airline and YES it CAN be compared by other airlines.

First off, we do not know each other nor have we ever met. Thus stated, from my perspective and experience in travelling, you must be trolling. And why may you ask. Because I have had the privilege of using all of the aforementioned carriers you name and some you never had a chance to use or even know because they, like the dinosaur, are extinct. I have had a chance to compare service left, right and center on more carriers that you could ever shake a stick at. Conclusion, AC's service rates at the top end of world carriers, again from this writer's opinion and your statement qualifies as a synonym for what makes Mr. Mongolfiere's contraption rise.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I'm not sure I would rate Air Canada as an example of "the top end of world carriers", but, they certainly have an excellent product, easily far above acceptable, and the bashing is just that - tired old ranting. More suited to maybe 1993 than 2016.

In fact I almost wonder if the original poster is an AC plant, judging by the amount of positive comments about the company they've managed to generate! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

I find a large percentage of the travelling public expect the world for nothing. Many believe that Air Canada is still government owned and therefore their taxes are supporting the company and deserve better everything.

People need to wake up and realise that air travel is not a right, but a paid decision.

The majority of air canada employees I am sure enjoy their job and do their best, but no matter what profession/job (including in the most respected professions) will have their dinks who would never do more than what is required.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'll make sure to book Singapore, Emirates or Quantas when I fly Winnipeg to Toronto :lol:

Seriously though, If you don't like the service you received, book with a different carrier next time. It is a free market, you are free to book with whoever you like.

If you want to be nice to the company, maybe file a complaint with them. If they get enough complaints and customers stop booking, maybe service will improve.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Ever notice that bad service always follows the same people around. Hmmm. Where's the common denominator here... You reap what you sow.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

You are what you eat. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Is there more than one way to skin a cat? That's the $64,000 question.

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

Shady McSly wrote:You are what you eat. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Is there more than one way to skin a cat? That's the $64,000 question.
These comments are as old as the hills....you know I wasn't born yesterday to see you're just trying to pass the buck and drive me up the wall.

1000islander
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000islander »

I always get a chuckle when the complaints start re:AC service- it goes something like "I had a bad flight with them in 1984..I'll never fly with Air Canada again"

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

When I fly on Air Canada it is usually in "Business Class" so I don't know how service is in the "regular class".

I can tell you that I have never, ever had bad service flying with Air Canada. Their staff were courteous, professional and friendly and very attentive to their passenger's needs. On long haul flights I got to enjoy the individual pods which IMHO are way better than the side by side seats.

Many years ago I went from CYYZ to VHHH on a B777 which at the time had the individual pods and throughout the flight the staff was excellent. We then flew from Hong Kong to Singapore on Singapore Airlines on a B747 in Business Class but this time the seats were the side by side seats (not as good as the pods). The staff on Singapore Airlines (yes they were very good looking Asian women) was also excellent but no better than Air Canada's staff IMHO.

The other bonus when you fly "Business" with AC is you have access to their lounges at the different airports. Not so the case with other airlines... I have to go to Dallas at least once a year and unfortunately AC does not have a direct flight between Montreal and Dallas (someone at AC must look into this because American Airlines flight is almost full all the time) and like at AC, I fly AA in "Business". The staff is also good (no complaints so far) and the service is OK. However even with a very expensive round trip ticket price of +$5000 I cannot access their lounge!

So yes whenever I can, I will chose and fly on Air Canada, especially on long haul flights.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

Haha, yeah I would too

...because I just don't like Westjet's long-haul business class service.

Return to “Air Canada”