The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Stan Darsh »

That would be nice, but I've been holding my breath for the last 18 months...
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Internals can help to an extent but they are sensitive on nepotism and some guy walking his kid in like was the practise years ago...

There is an internal online reference system where current pilots can fill out a questionnaire on an applicant and make a recommend every couple years.

If you know well or worked with an AC pilot, you might want to look them up and see if it's something they would be willing to do for you... I would imagine you might want to also judge your friend well, it could be a double edge sword if they're a tool.

Cal,
They have a pool of OTS guys that interviewed earlier in the year. But based on future requirements, I would imagine you'll see the application window open and interviews start again in the fall.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

tallyho wrote:FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....
And they may never get an interview... or at least not now.

Took me the better part of 10 years to get an interview from my initial application with AC.
CAL wrote:yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?
I'm not sure Cal, and I don't want to give you the wrong info on that. I'd snoop around on the hiring site and on your profile to see if it's explicitly stated that you have an open application...

I remember being told years back not to update your profile too often only every 8 months to a year max... You don't want to come across OCD, but you do have to show consistent interest...

So in your case, you don't want to over apply, but you don't want to miss out either.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

thanks again for the info!

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Thank you altiplano, you've answered my questions more than once, I appreciate it. Just as CAL I'll keep a look every now and then, specially the upcoming months, to see if that PML actually has dried out and the vacancy opens.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

infiniteregulus wrote:There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.
Nobody who has been "hired" is still waiting for a course date.
CZBBYYZPilot wrote:Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.
Air Canada is not "supposed" to do anything. They do what they do and it may change at any time. That is a constant.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Not true. There's a handful of guys who've been offered employment (all checks and medicals done) and have yet to get a course date. Likely the fall for them.
But I do agree AC will do what they want with no obligation to express. Express molds to AC, not the other way around.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

infiniteregulus wrote:Not true. There's a handful of guys who've been offered employment (all checks and medicals done) and have yet to get a course date. Likely the fall for them.
But I do agree AC will do what they want with no obligation to express. Express molds to AC, not the other way around.
Maybe they are almost hired, but you are not hired until you are here with your name on the seniority list.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Semantically true, an "offer of employment" holds just as much value as a company IOU and does not constitute being "hired" hahaha. It was merely in reference to the notion that the "express influx has dried up" in the interim, as there are still a bunch of lads who've yet to be fully processed.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

I'm hoping to be an OTS hire and have finally received the video interview email. I recall reading something about it on Avcanada a while back, but I've spent the last hour and a half looking and found nothing. Would someone out there be able to enlighten me as to what I can expect before I dust off the old suit and tie??? Many thanks.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Congrats on getting the invitation as an OTS, tallyho. Were you one of the ones that that applied last year, was told you'd hear from them within the year, and then got told you'd hear from them this fall?

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Tallyho
Did you actually apply when the posting was open or did you just put your info in?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Anyone have any insight as to a maximum time line from when you receive the e-mail to having completed the video interview side?

Cheers,

S.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

Jimmy2, I applied in April 2016 when the application was open. I have received the update emails as you said.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Good to hear. I guess their 'fall' timeline was too conservative and they are moving forward on OTS applications already.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Word on the street is that they are running July and August courses. There weren't supposed to be any courses until September/October. It would seem the hiring machine is ramping up again after a brief stop.

Good luck to everyone!

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere

Return to “Air Canada”