The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by flyhighneverdie »

lyrad6 wrote:Any word on October groundschools? (Calls been made? Dates?)
Start date is Oct 2nd.
---------- ADS -----------

dbob
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dbob »

Cheese Tray wrote:With some course movement happening this fall, does anyone have any idea when the window will open again for OTS applications? I've seen the question asked recently in this thread without a response. Any rumours/guesses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Cheese Tray

Far
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Far »

I'm wondering, if there's others candidates in the same situation, i did my medical and it past 3 months without news. Should i be worry ?

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

I got my invite for the video interview after applying in early 2016 as an OTS. I imagine I'm likely one of the last of that group to be invited since, even though I'm a 705 Capt now, when I applied I was a single engine 703 Capt, so my application was quite weak. Anyways, I don't think I did too good on the interview. It's quite awkward talking to a screen and I stuttered a bit from nerves. Good luck to all that applied.

cptnCanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cptnCanada »

1 ground school of 30 every three weeks indefinitely.

Application window being opened up very shortly.

Good luck to all.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Anyone actually know?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

The last time they opened it up for OTS was 18 months ago and some of those people still haven't even started the interview process. So even if they opened it tomorrow you could be looking at a year and half to interview. Then who knows how long in the hiring pool. Best to just put it out of your mind and live your life and advance your career as if Air Canada is never going to hire you. Go for your backup plan and work towards that. If AC ever decides to call you, good. If not it won't really matter as you already have set yourself up with a good career position, or a job that will lead to one. I bet there are people that turned down other opportunities 18 months ago that are now kicking themselves because they decided to just stay at their current job until AC called them. Combine that with maybe not passing the interview after 18 months of waiting, and they would really be hating life.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Unless someone from the hiring team answers, you're only going to get the types of answers recently given (soon?). There are still applicants being contacted from the April 2016 window, so until that's worked through there isn't going to be another posting. However, it seems like almost everyone has been contacted for further interviews so maybe that posting is around the corner. I'm hearing from friends at Express carriers that the PML hiring has slowed as of late to allow the training departments to catch their breath.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

HR has said the portal will open "in the fall".

So...soon. My prediction - October.

With this kind of hiring, they are going to be busy

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

How long are fellow OTS guys typically spending in the hiring pool these days? Is 2 years in the pool still possible like it was a while back or has the pilot shortage put an end to that?

lyrad6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lyrad6 »

From the sounds of it, most are being hired into courses within a few months of interviewing. Hopefully the 2 year pool is a thing of the past.

Anyone out there recently PFO'd from AC? If so, curious how soon the news came after the interview process was completed. Is it usually fairly quick or can be it be many weeks/months later?

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Victory wrote:How long are fellow OTS guys typically spending in the hiring pool these days? Is 2 years in the pool still possible like it was a while back or has the pilot shortage put an end to that?
Doesnt seems there is a hiring pool per say. Its a process that takes a fair bit of time (but will likely accelerate) and these days when you get tru it, you are hired or pfo’d.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I understand that they don't tell you that you are in the pool anymore because people were assuming that meant they were hired and getting very angry when they timed out of the pool.
What and when do tell you after the in-person interview if you passed or not? I imagine a PFO comes pretty quickly? So if you don't get that how long are people waiting after the interview to hear they will be getting a course date? If you don't get a PFO right away is it safe to assume you are in the pool?

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

It took about 6 months from the in person to the hiring. Everyone path and timeline seems to be a little different but from the interview I had to wait 3 months for the medical. I never got a “pass” after the interview. If you dont get a pfo it kind of means that so far everything is good....no news is generally good news.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ok thanks. I've heard they do the medical at the same time as the interview now. 6 months is a long time to wait for a decision. Especially in this current hiring climate. Though if you don't get a PFO soon after your interview/medical then I guess you shouldn't apply elsewhere because you are probably in the pool.

pilot.nzl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilot.nzl »

I interviewed within the last month, the interview and other testing was day one, medical the morning of day two. I was told after the interview that all results from online testing, psychometric, interview and medical were sent to a board that meets once per month. They make a decision either way and let you know within six weeks of the interview.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ok thanks. That seems a lot more pleasant than wondering for 6 months.

EyeOh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by EyeOh »

Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop on this. Can you currently apply to AC or are they just interviewing people from the last time this 'portal' was open?

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Last edited by PT6onH20 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Completed the video interview, waiting for some sort of response. Applied 18 months ago.

Return to “Air Canada”