The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 974

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Wow 3000 hour, a University diploma (?), and an iPhone and still no call.
---------- ADS -----------

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am Wow 3000 hour, a University diploma (?), and an iPhone and still no call.
I started out along those lines, but managed to reign it in... trying to be better, new year and all...

CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CitationNation »

Last edited by CitationNation on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:
Windows 10, Motorola phone, sold my boat, PFOd...

CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CitationNation »

Last edited by CitationNation on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

For context some people that applied in March of 2016 are just now starting their groundschools. I'm not saying it's going to take you 2 years from application to flying the line but that is what happened with the most recent group. It might be healthy for you to temper your enthusiasm for the sake of your long term sanity.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 am
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:
Windows 10, Motorola phone, sold my boat, PFOd...
Well they say the happiest day is when you buy your boat or sell your boat!

Let’s Go Brandon
Saborig
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saborig »

Hi all, would a reference letter from the prime minister help? How about a twitter shoutout from Trump. I think i have a better chance with achieving that then joining AC.

Flyfisher21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyfisher21 »

Would anyone who has completed the online interview recently care to share any information? Does anyone know if they change the questions or how frequently? Please PM thanks

For those who are curious.. applied in OCT. 4000TT, aviation diploma, 705 PIC

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

So it seems nobody has received the call from OTS Oct'17 ...

if anybody has received it, please share the information.
Thanks.

wondering?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wondering? »

I've been slowly reading through this thread lately trying to learn as much as possible about AC. I am not all the way through but have a question relating to a current opportunity.
I have been interviewed for two different positions and am curious which one is the more likely to appeal to AC in the long run. I am high on single engine PIC time and low on MPIC. I have one opportunity to go fly multi pistons as captain thereby building MPIC time and another that is an FO on a turboprop.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball but as an OTS applicant in the nearish future (a year or two maybe), what would those in the know deem as a more desirable option. Higher MPIC (piston) or more two crew turbo prop time?
Obvious hiring requirements could change quickly but I am just curious what others think.
I am continuing to read through the thread so hopefully I can find more information about this.

Thank you all,

W

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Flying hours doesn't seem to be overly important. I know several co-workers with many years at Jazz who have way over 10000 hours that were turned down. Just boils down to their hiring matrix or whatever you want to call it.
Also many have been hired who never worked a job as a captain and had only a few hours of multi engine PIC - as in whatever you got during flight training.

Let’s Go Brandon
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

wondering? wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm I've been slowly reading through this thread lately trying to learn as much as possible about AC. I am not all the way through but have a question relating to a current opportunity.
I have been interviewed for two different positions and am curious which one is the more likely to appeal to AC in the long run. I am high on single engine PIC time and low on MPIC. I have one opportunity to go fly multi pistons as captain thereby building MPIC time and another that is an FO on a turboprop.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball but as an OTS applicant in the nearish future (a year or two maybe), what would those in the know deem as a more desirable option. Higher MPIC (piston) or more two crew turbo prop time?
Obvious hiring requirements could change quickly but I am just curious what others think.
I am continuing to read through the thread so hopefully I can find more information about this.

Thank you all,

W

Unless your PIC is on something like a PC-12 likely niether option will get you to AC in a year or two. If the upgrade on the turbine is fast that would be the better route to take. That or go to a regional if your times are competitive for that. The average new hire is over 3000 hours with command time on something like a Dash8 etc or lots of FO time on a big jet or military. Even the outliers have more than straight piston time.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Flying hours are important to a point. A diverse background and range of experience is important. There are lots of things that they look at in their matrix as Inv2 said.

Which is the better company? Which pays? Which offers the most potential? Does the piston twin company have larger turbine equipment too? How long to upgrade on the turboprop?

All equal, if your primary goal is airlines, I'd probably take the turboprop, unless the piston job gives you a clear path to something more and soon, or you just want to do it short term, get a bit of mpic and then move on to a better turbine job. AC won't hire you off a Navajo only.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If AC never calls, which company would you rather be at long term?

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Just thought I'd chime in here with a little info from my experience. A quick note - I believe video interview invitations have gone out to some applicants from October, but that is not reflective of the final number of successful applications. It took about 2 years from the time of my application in March 2016 to my start date. At the time, I was probably in the lower 20th percentile based purely off of the numbers (TT/PIC/705/education) compared to the rest of the applicant pool. The majority of my time was 703 command, with some 705 turboprop. 16-17 months later I got the video interview invite, and I would complete another step in the process about once a month afterwards. The time from my application to my offer was spent flying 704 command - no 705, no jet. I found it was easy to temper my expectations because I knew my resume was not as strong as the average, and I was comfortable in my job. I'm sure there was some luck involved, but I interview well and I had strong references.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that I know people skim this thread for some insider info or reassurance, but it's all anecdotal. The hiring timeline will probably be different for you guys, but just know that the spectrum of experience is fairly wide. People will get cherry picked for the Max, others will be left on the back burner until there is room on the training schedule. Just exercise a little patience. Most of you have good jobs anyway, right? That's why we applied OTS and didn't dart off to Express.

Good Luck

wondering?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wondering? »

Thanks for the replies all.
I suppose I may be getting carried away thinking that I could have a chance in a year or two but browsing through this thread I don't think its impossible. With the hiring amounts seemingly continuing there is certainly hope for a lot of us who thought we were years and years away from having a chance.
I think both jobs would be good long term if nothing else happened. Room for growth. And I agree it is important to enjoy yourself where you are in the present. But no harm in planning.

I guess another choice is to try the express route. I am around 3000+TT, essentially all PIC with a bit of turbine time and MPIC. Probably an ideal candidate for Jazz. Just have to decide if that's the path that will give me the best chance. So many perspectives as you read through this thread and the Jazz threads.

Thanks again all.

Stan Darsh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 am Just thought I'd chime in here with a little info from my experience. A quick note - I believe video interview invitations have gone out to some applicants from October, but that is not reflective of the final number of successful applications. It took about 2 years from the time of my application in March 2016 to my start date. At the time, I was probably in the lower 20th percentile based purely off of the numbers (TT/PIC/705/education) compared to the rest of the applicant pool. The majority of my time was 703 command, with some 705 turboprop. 16-17 months later I got the video interview invite, and I would complete another step in the process about once a month afterwards. The time from my application to my offer was spent flying 704 command - no 705, no jet. I found it was easy to temper my expectations because I knew my resume was not as strong as the average, and I was comfortable in my job. I'm sure there was some luck involved, but I interview well and I had strong references.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that I know people skim this thread for some insider info or reassurance, but it's all anecdotal. The hiring timeline will probably be different for you guys, but just know that the spectrum of experience is fairly wide. People will get cherry picked for the Max, others will be left on the back burner until there is room on the training schedule. Just exercise a little patience. Most of you have good jobs anyway, right? That's why we applied OTS and didn't dart off to Express.

Good Luck

GOod advice and good perspective. I've never really been in a rush to get to the airlines. I have had some great expereinces in this industry. I do think patience is key.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

What exactly goes into the hiring matrix and points when interviewing?

Return to “Air Canada”