The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by iflyroads »

You will not get a PFO for emailing HR. Beratting them every day though might not present you as the most patient candidate

Your file is reviewed by a few members of a hiring board that meet on a bi-weekly/monthly basis.

Rest assured there are a lot of candidates waiting for an answer, sadly some are waiting since Feb. If it's a PFO you will usually hear pretty quick, if it's a requirement to redo the interview, medical, phych tests you will be contacted by HR
---------- ADS -----------

21cdnflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 21cdnflyer »

I would follow up

Last edited by 21cdnflyer on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Until the border opens....

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

'97 Tercel wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:58 pm Until the border opens....
Keep dreaming...

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Air Canada is receiving so many good resumes from wj sw porter, express, plus all the overseas..One thing right now is all the wb fo open spots..The way flt ops is dealing with it is hiring some overseas guys who want to come back to Canada straight into the the right seat of a wb (4 recent new hires all 777 rated were awarded 787 fo). It is just cherry picking from HR which is smart and tailored to the needs.
One would think there might be a shortage of candidates but it is not the case. The upgrade time is so short very experienced pilots like canadian north or sunwing checkers are flocking into AC.There is no shortage of applicants and a 4000TT express capt with 1000h left seat 705 is the smallest resume you would see these days.
Air Canada will never have a hard time to find quality resumes, everyone else will.

21cdnflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 21cdnflyer »

JoeyBarton wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:03 am Air Canada is receiving so many good resumes from wj sw porter, express, plus all the overseas..One thing right now is all the wb fo open spots..The way flt ops is dealing with it is hiring some overseas guys who want to come back to Canada straight into the the right seat of a wb (4 recent new hires all 777 rated were awarded 787 fo). It is just cherry picking from HR which is smart and tailored to the needs.
One would think there might be a shortage of candidates but it is not the case. The upgrade time is so short very experienced pilots like canadian north or sunwing checkers are flocking into AC.There is no shortage of applicants and a 4000TT express capt with 1000h left seat 705 is the smallest resume you would see these days.

Air Canada will never have a hard time to find quality resumes, everyone else will.
Ate you sure considering most OTS guys come with a considerable amount of 705 TPIC

Last edited by 21cdnflyer on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

It is their choice how they staff 787 and 777 fo. Yes one can be qualified coming from the regionals however it is probably more than ideal to have an emirates 777 fo in that wb fo seat instead of a 3000 TT Dash 8 as a new hire.
Like it or not it's happening anyways..

21cdnflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 21cdnflyer »

JoeyBarton wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am It is their choice how they staff 787 and 777 fo. Yes one can be qualified coming from the regionals however it is probably more than ideal to have an emirates 777 fo in that wb fo seat instead of a 3000 TT Dash 8 as a new hire.
Like it or not it's happening anyways..
It might work like that in the bush, but not at a major.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

@21cdn

absolutely your first ride at AC, type rated or not, is a jeopardy event. V or E at the end = jeopardy.

there have been some training problems and it wastes time, and money on an already stretched training department, AC is assigning types in the initial courses, not always or for everyone, but they are.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

I was under the impression the seniority draw for each class was completely random, equipment selection was then done based on that seniority. I was not aware AC “assigns” positions.

Also, any word on final numbers for the Oct 21 class? I’ve been hearing calls were still going out mid-late this last week.

T

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

To the last poster, you give your preferences during PIT. It is not a bid. Hence the fact flt ops can assign a type to a new hire "out of seniority" if you will during PIT course. Once in the ac system you can then bid. During pit course, it is not a bid.
Again, it makes sense and no this is not the bush..

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Transition9er2 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 am I was under the impression the seniority draw for each class was completely random, equipment selection was then done based on that seniority. I was not aware AC “assigns” positions.
The seniority draw is random. But flight ops will assign you your type irrespective of seniority on occasion and against your preference. They only can do that on this initial course, after that it's based on the contract position assignment.

As stated overseas WB guys on the recent course assigned 787 FO.

BenniFlyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BenniFlyer »

I would bid back to the RP as soon as possible if I was in that position...no way I would take that extra responsibility, worse schedule/vacation, missing holidays at home for the same pay as the guy sitting behind me.

If this happened with every new hire put in the 87/77 right seat I think that would change things. All those pilots will be far off worse than their co-PIT partners.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

It doesn’t matter what you bid, they don’t have to train you in the new position.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

There are 777 Captains joining AC these days as new hires. I don't think they are worried about the extra responsibility of being 787 FO. If anything some people probably prefer to be flying instead of being a ride along.

ShamrockPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShamrockPilot »

Hangry wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:42 am
Keep dreaming...
Several coworkers interviewing in the states already, far from a dream. AC and TC can only lobby so much - if the states want pilots they’ll take pilots and it’s just beginning.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

nightbird wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 am It doesn’t matter what you bid, they don’t have to train you in the new position.
FACT

BenniFlyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BenniFlyer »

Daniel Cooper wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:20 am There are 777 Captains joining AC these days as new hires. I don't think they are worried about the extra responsibility of being 787 FO. If anything some people probably prefer to be flying instead of being a ride along.
Wouldn’t these “777 Captains” (how many have you seen hired?) prefer a nice schedule in their older age as opposed to potentially being on reserve for the majority of their four year flat pay?

I agree it could get tiresome to not be flying...but to give up that much on lifestyle? And for arguably less money (since junior guys get last chance at OT).

Celtic1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Celtic1 »

ShamrockPilot wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:03 am
Hangry wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:42 am
Keep dreaming...
Several coworkers interviewing in the states already, far from a dream. AC and TC can only lobby so much - if the states want pilots they’ll take pilots and it’s just beginning.
Do these pilots have the 'legal right to live and work in the US?' From what I understand, H1B visas are difficult to get for pilots, in fact difficult for anyone right now. Let's keep any info on potential US flying opportunities active in these forums because many of us are interested. Have they already FAA atp's as well?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

groundpilot wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 am
nightbird wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 am It doesn’t matter what you bid, they don’t have to train you in the new position.
FACT
Unless it's a different base.

And if they don't train you, they have to pay you like the new position, unless it's a downbid.

Return to “Air Canada”