The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Qdrivermann »

200Above wrote:
Well, we just crossed the six month mark. I am really hoping that AC will make good on their email they sent that I (we- all who received the email) can expect a telephone interview within the year....ends April 23/2017..... clock's ticking away! ;)
....and I (we- all who received the PFO email) hope the OTS job ad comes out again. I'm sure there's still a lot of individuals that far exceed the requirement (minus degree) waiting for a shot. I was offered an interview five years ago with half the hours and experience, but unfortunately I wasn't in a position to accept it. :smt017

... funny thing is that I never received a PFO letter after receiving the original email informing me that I will be invited for a telephone interview within 12 months time. Did everybody else get a PFO letter that effectively cancelled the original telephone interview invitation??
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Not yet, but would't be surprised if it's on it's way.

S.

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

I spent 3 years in the hiring pool as an OTS. First it was fly til 65, then the PML.....its a brutal wait, and at times the info is scarce.....be patient, take what you read on this site as a grain of salt. Keep flying hard and keep updating your resume with hours, education, etc. The future is bright and you will all be on here in no time. Nevermind all the nay sayers on here, you have the good email, which is more then most!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Qdrivermann wrote:
200Above wrote:
Well, we just crossed the six month mark. I am really hoping that AC will make good on their email they sent that I (we- all who received the email) can expect a telephone interview within the year....ends April 23/2017..... clock's ticking away! ;)
....and I (we- all who received the PFO email) hope the OTS job ad comes out again. I'm sure there's still a lot of individuals that far exceed the requirement (minus degree) waiting for a shot. I was offered an interview five years ago with half the hours and experience, but unfortunately I wasn't in a position to accept it. :smt017

... funny thing is that I never received a PFO letter after receiving the original email informing me that I will be invited for a telephone interview within 12 months time. Did everybody else get a PFO letter that effectively cancelled the original telephone interview invitation??
I think he was talking about people who never got the phone interview invite, and got a PFO back in April. AFAIK nobody has done the phone interview yet, but that doesn't mean that they won't in the next six months.

Patience.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

livinlife wrote:I spent 3 years in the hiring pool as an OTS.
They told you your interview was successful and to await a course date and you waited 3 years? That must have been brutal.

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

Clock is still ticking and still no phone interview.... just crossed the eighth month mark! Four months to go and still hoping to hear back! Anybody else out there still waiting??

TomC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TomC »

Yes, still waiting. Haven't heard of anyone who go that email doing a phone interview yet.
Cheers.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'd follow up...

I had a friend several years back who had a successful interview/medical and then waited and waited without hearing back while courses ran one after another... He didn't want to seem pushy or make a fuss so he didn't call... in the end he was lost in the shuffle and missed the wave when he finally did call - told to try again next time.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

altiplano wrote:I'd follow up...
How does one follow up? There was no reply email or contact information given.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Qdrivermann wrote:Clock is still ticking and still no phone interview.... just crossed the eighth month mark! Four months to go and still hoping to hear back! Anybody else out there still waiting??
I just proceeded with life and my career as if I had never got the email. Most HR departments are an absolute mess these days. They have no qualms about stringing people along either. I was in a similar position as Altpiano mentioned above only I did follow up with some reasonably spaced emails and a call. I was assured everything was fine. After waiting even more time after the interview a friend of mine that worked there walked in and asked HR what happened. Turns out they misplaced my file. By then all hiring decisions were complete. Nothing you can do. I just wouldn't put any stock into their 12 month timeline if you are. Remember it was a qualified statement as well. Things can change.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Who contacted you?

Was there some type of contact info in the correspondence you received?

Was there a name attached?

It was a girl doing it last I heard.... Try her?

Or maybe ask a friend at the airline to chase it down next time they are in the SIM building?

Or maybe you'll have to Ace Ventura it and chase it down, but to get to the doorstep and let yourself get put on ice is a shame... The meek may inherit the earth, but they don't get airline jobs often...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

If HR is annoyed or upset on you checking the status of your application that reflects poorly on them. Not you.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

altiplano wrote:I'd follow up...

I had a friend several years back who had a successful interview/medical and then waited and waited without hearing back while courses ran one after another... He didn't want to seem pushy or make a fuss so he didn't call... in the end he was lost in the shuffle and missed the wave when he finally did call - told to try again next time.
From: Human Resources <AirCanada@invalidemail.com> Date: April 22, 2016 at 10:25:35 EDT wrote:Hello,

Thank you for submitting your application to the Pilot posting at Air Canada.

After reviewing your application and qualifications, we would like to advise that we expect to contact you sometime within the next 12 months to invite you for a phone interview. This is based on our current hiring projections and has potential to change. Thank you for your continued interest in Air Canada.

Sincerely,

The Recruitment Team

Replies to this message are undeliverable and will not reach the Recruitment Department. Please do not reply.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

That seems like a standard automated response to meeting the criteria. I don't think HR went through and chose to send "you" that email. Seems like a case of wishful thinking or reading what you wanted to, not the obvious. Wording like expect and based on current projections, tells me it's a general response.
Sorry to say, but if you really want to know you could call HR and ask for the person responsible for pilot recruitment, I'm certain you'll be told what I just said above.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

mbav8r wrote:That seems like a standard automated response to meeting the criteria. I don't think HR went through and chose to send "you" that email. Seems like a case of wishful thinking or reading what you wanted to, not the obvious. Wording like expect and based on current projections, tells me it's a general response.
Sorry to say, but if you really want to know you could call HR and ask for the person responsible for pilot recruitment, I'm certain you'll be told what I just said above.
While it is definitely a standard response, it is not the same response that everybody who applied got; some people received suggestions to apply to an Express carrier, etc. This was what has been considered the "good" email, but AFAIK, nobody who received it has received a call yet.

Personally, I am in a good position at the moment, and I don't sit by the phone anxiously awaiting their call! It would, however, be nice to see some people getting these calls, because I am sure that there are some who have other possibilities that they are reluctant to pursue, if it might interfere with their chances of getting in OTS.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

NotDirty! wrote:
mbav8r wrote:That seems like a standard automated response to meeting the criteria. I don't think HR went through and chose to send "you" that email. Seems like a case of wishful thinking or reading what you wanted to, not the obvious. Wording like expect and based on current projections, tells me it's a general response.
While it is definitely a standard response, it is not the same response that everybody who applied got; some people received suggestions to apply to an Express carrier, etc. This was what has been considered the "good" email, but AFAIK, nobody who received it has received a call yet.

Personally, I am in a good position at the moment, and I don't sit by the phone anxiously awaiting their call! It would, however, be nice to see some people getting these calls, because I am sure that there are some who have other possibilities that they are reluctant to pursue, if it might interfere with their chances of getting in OTS.
The problem with this email is postponing other opportunities that may not exist later on. Making a commitment to another employer and signing a significant bond creates a big problem for all involved, if the Air Canada offer materializes. While it is a standard email, it shows clear intent to interview, baring unforeseen changes in hiring needs. One has to wonder why Air Canada would send out such an email in the first place, if there was no intent to interview. So, it's best to wait it out if you still think it's the right opportunity.

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

Thank you DialDriver... that is exactly the problem: I have honored each and every contract I have ever been offered, either signed or verbally agreed upon. Since this email - two new offers have come and gone - and, a third was just offered. I don't want to uproot my family and head off to another new destination after signing a new contract and bond. So, I have decided to remain where I am because I have fulfilled my contractual obligations and can leave with a reasonable notice period. Do these people at AC HR even realize how fluid the industry is for pilots? Do they understand how such a seamlessly harmless email can cause a career to shift or stagnate while waiting for the big call to come in? I refuse to stick it to a new employer and jump ship without fulfilling my contractual obligations or, have to pay out my bond... our profession is very fluid and I'm trying to return to the industry some form of professionalism by not accepting any new offers until I at least know if AC will make good on their intentions to interview me. I might not make it in - but at least I'm not burning bridges or taking a financial hit if I have to leave to go to AC. An old instructor once told me to try to make our industry a better place and to make it easier for those coming up behind me. I would also like to state I have never accepted an offer to work at a new employer who didn't want me to respect the period of leave notice to my previous employer. I hope if I make it in at AC they will allow me to honor my period of leave notice.
Regards and happy holidays everybody!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I'm sure HR realizes how the industry works, they made no promises! You and all who received this "good email" ticked all the boxes and are "expected" to be interviewed as long as things don't change.
Now, you can choose to wait by the phone and to be fair, in the next twelve months could be anywhere from 1-12 months, I believe these emails went out last April, leaving 4ish months to go, or you could choose to pursue other opportunities. They left the choice up to you!
HR was flat out trying to get through the first PML and now they have changed it to a video interview for the new one. There was also a pool of interviewed pilots who were filling some of the OTS spots, so I say again, no promises were made and the wording was such that waiting by the phone was a risk one had to consider, myself I might have waited it out if I was at a good place and treated well, if not, I would've moved and dealt with it as it came.
Remember, phone interview leads to in person interview, the pool, the whole process could take a year anyway.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Respectfully, I don't think the recruiters at AC's top priority is making sure all potential candidates know with certainty where they stand in the process. As was said, of course they are well aware how fluid this industry is for pilots, but they are looking out for number 1, which happens to be their manpower needs. Letting you know your resume didn't go in the trash bin is a courtesy. Again, they made no promises. Just a non-committal advisory that you may be considered in the future. How you base career decisions with that knowledge is entirely up to you.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

So, for a guy with 3000 hours is it better to go via OTS route and avoid AC feeders? Like go work for another Dash operator?

Return to “Air Canada”