3000/ More
42%

Total votes: 424

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

#351 Post by dashtrash1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Elessar_44 wrote:July course rumour is true, I was offered a spot for July 17. Very excited! Unexpected too haha
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are you OTS or off a PML?
---------- ADS -----------

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

#352 Post by AllClutch » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Maple_30 wrote:
AllClutch wrote:~235 off the last equipment bid. Could be a few more depending on how they roll out the 737 FO spots
Wow! That would mean ~350 opened spots from now to the end of 2018?

A bid is a 12 month snapshot. 235 for next June.

arcadia
Rank 2
Rank 2

#353 Post by arcadia » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Allclutch,

Are you currently Mainline, or still Jazz?

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

#354 Post by Elessar_44 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 pm

dashtrash1 wrote:
Elessar_44 wrote:July course rumour is true, I was offered a spot for July 17. Very excited! Unexpected too haha
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are you OTS or off a PML?
I am an OTS hire. I also interviewed back in 2011 and was turned down, so it goes to show you to never give up! :)

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

#355 Post by dannyjet » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:36 pm

Quick question, all this movement going on is for those who managed to submit their online application when the vacancy was open in the careers section at AC's website several months ago if not last year, correct?

I've been checking it for the past few months and have yet to see open pilot vacancies. I fly abroad so sometimes I let a month or so go by without checking and it seems there is no option to be notified by email, unfortunately.

Along with my previous question, any idea when these will open again? Thank you.

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#356 Post by altiplano » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:50 am

dannyjet wrote:Quick question, all this movement going on is for those who managed to submit their online application when the vacancy was open in the careers section at AC's website several months ago if not last year, correct?

I've been checking it for the past few months and have yet to see open pilot vacancies. I fly abroad so sometimes I let a month or so go by without checking and it seems there is no option to be notified by email, unfortunately.

Along with my previous question, any idea when these will open again? Thank you.
If I recall correctly, you can create an online profile and have the system notify you when the application window opens. Not sure though if that's still the case...

I heard they have had some new hire screenings coming through at the medical office... must be getting ready to ramp up courses again soon.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#357 Post by CAL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:59 am

just following on that last post
is there any hiring going on?
Nothing is posted on the careers?
Does this mean they still hire quietly via internal references etc?
How important are the internal refs?
thanks!

infiniteregulus
Rank 3
Rank 3

#358 Post by infiniteregulus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:59 am

Quietly could be interchanged with PML

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#359 Post by CAL » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 pm

ah yes......

garfield
Rank 3
Rank 3

#360 Post by garfield » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:18 pm

I don't think internal references help in any ways, I know people who their parents where pilots at big red and it never helped at all. But references will help you big time at Transat and Sunwing.

PML should dry out anytime soon, when feeders are gonna start to park their planes.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

#361 Post by Stan Darsh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 pm

That would be nice, but I've been holding my breath for the last 18 months...

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#362 Post by altiplano » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 pm

Internals can help to an extent but they are sensitive on nepotism and some guy walking his kid in like was the practise years ago...

There is an internal online reference system where current pilots can fill out a questionnaire on an applicant and make a recommend every couple years.

If you know well or worked with an AC pilot, you might want to look them up and see if it's something they would be willing to do for you... I would imagine you might want to also judge your friend well, it could be a double edge sword if they're a tool.

Cal,
They have a pool of OTS guys that interviewed earlier in the year. But based on future requirements, I would imagine you'll see the application window open and interviews start again in the fall.

tallyho
Rank 2
Rank 2

#363 Post by tallyho » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:33 am

FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#364 Post by CAL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 am

yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#365 Post by altiplano » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:49 am

tallyho wrote:FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....
And they may never get an interview... or at least not now.

Took me the better part of 10 years to get an interview from my initial application with AC.
CAL wrote:yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?
I'm not sure Cal, and I don't want to give you the wrong info on that. I'd snoop around on the hiring site and on your profile to see if it's explicitly stated that you have an open application...

I remember being told years back not to update your profile too often only every 8 months to a year max... You don't want to come across OCD, but you do have to show consistent interest...

So in your case, you don't want to over apply, but you don't want to miss out either.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

#366 Post by CAL » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 pm

thanks again for the info!

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

#367 Post by dannyjet » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Thank you altiplano, you've answered my questions more than once, I appreciate it. Just as CAL I'll keep a look every now and then, specially the upcoming months, to see if that PML actually has dried out and the vacancy opens.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

#368 Post by CZBBYYZPilot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:45 am

Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.

infiniteregulus
Rank 3
Rank 3

#369 Post by infiniteregulus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:36 pm

There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#370 Post by altiplano » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:12 am

infiniteregulus wrote:There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.
Nobody who has been "hired" is still waiting for a course date.
CZBBYYZPilot wrote:Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.
Air Canada is not "supposed" to do anything. They do what they do and it may change at any time. That is a constant.

infiniteregulus
Rank 3
Rank 3

#371 Post by infiniteregulus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am

Not true. There's a handful of guys who've been offered employment (all checks and medicals done) and have yet to get a course date. Likely the fall for them.
But I do agree AC will do what they want with no obligation to express. Express molds to AC, not the other way around.

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#372 Post by altiplano » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:41 am

infiniteregulus wrote:Not true. There's a handful of guys who've been offered employment (all checks and medicals done) and have yet to get a course date. Likely the fall for them.
But I do agree AC will do what they want with no obligation to express. Express molds to AC, not the other way around.
Maybe they are almost hired, but you are not hired until you are here with your name on the seniority list.

infiniteregulus
Rank 3
Rank 3

#373 Post by infiniteregulus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Semantically true, an "offer of employment" holds just as much value as a company IOU and does not constitute being "hired" hahaha. It was merely in reference to the notion that the "express influx has dried up" in the interim, as there are still a bunch of lads who've yet to be fully processed.

tallyho
Rank 2
Rank 2

#374 Post by tallyho » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm hoping to be an OTS hire and have finally received the video interview email. I recall reading something about it on Avcanada a while back, but I've spent the last hour and a half looking and found nothing. Would someone out there be able to enlighten me as to what I can expect before I dust off the old suit and tie??? Many thanks.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

#375 Post by Jimmy2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:16 am

Congrats on getting the invitation as an OTS, tallyho. Were you one of the ones that that applied last year, was told you'd hear from them within the year, and then got told you'd hear from them this fall?

Return to “Air Canada”