The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

lyrad6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by lyrad6 »

From the sounds of it, most are being hired into courses within a few months of interviewing. Hopefully the 2 year pool is a thing of the past.

Anyone out there recently PFO'd from AC? If so, curious how soon the news came after the interview process was completed. Is it usually fairly quick or can be it be many weeks/months later?
---------- ADS -----------

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyhighneverdie »

Victory wrote:How long are fellow OTS guys typically spending in the hiring pool these days? Is 2 years in the pool still possible like it was a while back or has the pilot shortage put an end to that?
Doesnt seems there is a hiring pool per say. Its a process that takes a fair bit of time (but will likely accelerate) and these days when you get tru it, you are hired or pfo’d.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I understand that they don't tell you that you are in the pool anymore because people were assuming that meant they were hired and getting very angry when they timed out of the pool.
What and when do tell you after the in-person interview if you passed or not? I imagine a PFO comes pretty quickly? So if you don't get that how long are people waiting after the interview to hear they will be getting a course date? If you don't get a PFO right away is it safe to assume you are in the pool?

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

It took about 6 months from the in person to the hiring. Everyone path and timeline seems to be a little different but from the interview I had to wait 3 months for the medical. I never got a “pass” after the interview. If you dont get a pfo it kind of means that so far everything is good....no news is generally good news.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ok thanks. I've heard they do the medical at the same time as the interview now. 6 months is a long time to wait for a decision. Especially in this current hiring climate. Though if you don't get a PFO soon after your interview/medical then I guess you shouldn't apply elsewhere because you are probably in the pool.

pilot.nzl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilot.nzl »

I interviewed within the last month, the interview and other testing was day one, medical the morning of day two. I was told after the interview that all results from online testing, psychometric, interview and medical were sent to a board that meets once per month. They make a decision either way and let you know within six weeks of the interview.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ok thanks. That seems a lot more pleasant than wondering for 6 months.

EyeOh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by EyeOh »

Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop on this. Can you currently apply to AC or are they just interviewing people from the last time this 'portal' was open?

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Last edited by PT6onH20 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Completed the video interview, waiting for some sort of response. Applied 18 months ago.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Portal is open again - got the e-mail this morning.

For those interested, best of luck.

S.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Stan Darsh wrote:Completed the video interview, waiting for some sort of response. Applied 18 months ago.
Did you remind them that you are indeed Rick James...Bitch?

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

I most certainly did. Is there a couch in the interview room?

SpdLvlChgClb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpdLvlChgClb »

I submitted my application when the pilot hiring opened on Monday and just received an invite for the on line interview. Which software is required, i.e. can it be conducted on an iPad thru FaceTime or a PC with Skype? What should I anticipate, length of time, types of questions, etc? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

I'm pretty sure the on-line interview actually just records your response to some pre-canned questions through a special website. Hiring gang then reviews your responses/video later. Pretty sure it works with an iPad.

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Generic questions. You can use an ipad. You will receive instructions how to do it. Its an app that you install and go from there.

lookinghforajob
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lookinghforajob »

Im really not sure what OTS stands for. Can someone pls elaborate? Thx

I can say I was initially interviewed in EARLY 2012 and was offered a spot for in the Pool. To be honest I had almost all Single Engine Time, No Degree and very little Multi. Another gal who interviewed same day was similar who actually had the basic Multi time from her Multi IFR and another fella from Porter. As far as I knew I was the only one to get through and offered a spot and a medical date as well (eventually). 3000hrs mostly PIC. I had to turn the generous offer down, the time I spent in the pool, had a baby, had another baby WOW, I ended up sticking with my company on the coast who were thrilled (some of my friends kicked me in the butt). I dont kick myself for not taking the offer but I do like to think about it, I'm at a great company with an awesome schedule. (hard to comedy on the west)

I reapplied yesterday, 4 years after the offer.

6500TT 3400JET, 4500 PIC/Multi Jet Single ect. NO DEGREE.

Wondering how will fit into their matrix. Feel free to PM if you like the new hires. I haven't yet dug into every single post on this thread but will soon. Hoping that when I politely turned Ms Mason down in the past if I shut the doors for good.

Good Luck To All.

zipper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zipper »

SpdLvlChgClb wrote:I submitted my application when the pilot hiring opened on Monday and just received an invite for the on line interview.
What sort of times do you have and did the invite come via email or phone call?

SpdLvlChgClb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpdLvlChgClb »

Thanks for the info regarding the on-line video interview, I also found an earlier thread about it, I believe I searched "on-line interview" within the AC section of this forum.
I received the invite for the on-line video via email the day after I applied. I have 6000+ hours and a degree.
OTS stands for "off the street" , implying that you are not from an AC feeder.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

22 out of 29 are OTS in the latest course of Oct 23/17

Return to “Air Canada”