The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by iflyroads »

Last few GS have had 2700 to 5000+ hours.

704 and 705 experience. A few without a degree but they did have a diploma. None were only pure highschool education candidates that I know off.
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

confusedalot wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 am Sooo.....from an old guy who would not even have a clue where to buy ''the smoke'', and does not even have a smartphone because I don't need one, yer telling me that the other old guys that just so happen to be industry and longtime friends that just so happen to work for big red are lying to me?

Recall that I have no dog in this race.

For those out there aspiring to work for Air Canada someday, now is the best time since 40 years to give it a shot.

No, you don't need widebody time
You don't even need jet time, but it is nice
University gives you some points, college a bit less, however it is not an absolute deal breaker
High School only is acceptable, many have been hired
published minimums are 1000 hours, I know one who had 2000 hours, another 1500 hours that were hired recently. I am sure there are more.
The big deal is whether they judge the candidate as fitting into their corporate culture. In plain words, they like you, or they don't, regardless of your background.

So let the naysayers go. The avcanada message board does not reflect actual events.

Wanna tell me where i can get that fantastic ''smoke?'' :lol:

I have years of new hire biographies in front of me and I can say with 100% certainty that confusedalot is absolutely full of shit and does not know what he's talking about.

Anyone without a university or 3 year college diploma that isn't PML 1.0 is a unicorn right now (I think this will change).
Diverse 705 experience, lots of Air Force, a couple MBAs. Average experiences in the thousands. The fact is Air Canada knows that the upgrade times have fallen a lot. 18 months to the left seat on the Airbus, sub 1 year to the emb left seat and this party is just getting started. Air Canada I think has tailored the hiring to meet this new reality and that's why you not seeing a lot of 703 drivers coming straight in anymore.

Confusedalot was likely reject from back in the oiler days where mainline didn't require or want a lot of experienced guys and hired a lot out of high school. Now he sees his mainline line buddies towing the wakeboard boat out the cottage and he's convinced himself the gold wrapper makes the chocolate taste bitter.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

pigboat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:35 am Correct.

The only pilots that will be joining AC with only a High School education are from the Regional pilot move up. AC has,for many years, given high preference to those with University or an Aviation diploma. Military pilots are the one exception. Post secondary education has been the norm for over 25 years.

Regards
Military pilots are all Officers. You can NOT be an officer without a university degree. (At least you couldn't where I come from). I very much doubt that the Canadian Forces are different.

Das ist mir wurst...
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

HansDietrich wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 am [quote=pigboat post_id=961301 time=<a href="tel:1458646558">1458646558</a> user_id=32795]
Correct.

The only pilots that will be joining AC with only a High School education are from the Regional pilot move up. AC has,for many years, given high preference to those with University or an Aviation diploma. Military pilots are the one exception. Post secondary education has been the norm for over 25 years.

Regards
Military pilots are all Officers. You can NOT be an officer without a university degree. (At least you couldn't where I come from). I very much doubt that the Canadian Forces are different.
[/quote]

Not quite true. There's a couple guys that got into the military under the CEOTP that never got a degree, a few of them are at mainline and I've worked with one. Also a couple of confed grads are military pilots now.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Well, I've learned something new. Thanks!

Das ist mir wurst...
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sharklasers wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 am
confusedalot wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 am Sooo.....from an old guy who would not even have a clue where to buy ''the smoke'', and does not even have a smartphone because I don't need one, yer telling me that the other old guys that just so happen to be industry and longtime friends that just so happen to work for big red are lying to me?

Recall that I have no dog in this race.

For those out there aspiring to work for Air Canada someday, now is the best time since 40 years to give it a shot.

No, you don't need widebody time
You don't even need jet time, but it is nice
University gives you some points, college a bit less, however it is not an absolute deal breaker
High School only is acceptable, many have been hired
published minimums are 1000 hours, I know one who had 2000 hours, another 1500 hours that were hired recently. I am sure there are more.
The big deal is whether they judge the candidate as fitting into their corporate culture. In plain words, they like you, or they don't, regardless of your background.

So let the naysayers go. The avcanada message board does not reflect actual events.

Wanna tell me where i can get that fantastic ''smoke?'' :lol:

I have years of new hire biographies in front of me and I can say with 100% certainty that confusedalot is absolutely full of shit and does not know what he's talking about.

Anyone without a university or 3 year college diploma that isn't PML 1.0 is a unicorn right now (I think this will change).
Diverse 705 experience, lots of Air Force, a couple MBAs. Average experiences in the thousands. The fact is Air Canada knows that the upgrade times have fallen a lot. 18 months to the left seat on the Airbus, sub 1 year to the emb left seat and this party is just getting started. Air Canada I think has tailored the hiring to meet this new reality and that's why you not seeing a lot of 703 drivers coming straight in anymore.

Confusedalot was likely reject from back in the oiler days where mainline didn't require or want a lot of experienced guys and hired a lot out of high school. Now he sees his mainline line buddies towing the wakeboard boat out the cottage and he's convinced himself the gold wrapper makes the chocolate taste bitter.
Hey,I am a reject just like the other 66%, no opacity there........For some strange reason, many thought i was actually a good sort elsewhere in a turbulent career, and.....oh...my....gosh....even had training and admin duties just like you looking at resumes.

so..what the hell does gold wrapper and bitter chocolate mean???

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

I'm not saying you shouldn't be happy with the career you've had. I am saying you shouldn't expound wisdom on a subject you clearly know nothing about.
Maybe when you got PFOd some highschool flunky with a wet ink cpl got hired back in the 1960s to pull flaps and gear on the viscount but that's not what's going on today.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Once again, I have no dog in this race.

Basically, what you are saying is that there is in fact no pilot shortage, B.comms with atpls and significant good time are abundant according to what you have on your desk. It actually sounds like there are a higher number of highly qualified candidates than in my time.

There you have it boys and girls, the pilot shortage does not exist............

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

If your only metric to the pilot shortage is Air Canada's current hiring we'll then I guess so.

Your wrong. You don't know what your talking about and I'm tired to having an internet arguement with a bitter old never-was. I see what your trying to do, your trying to get people as twisted up as you are because you got rejected back in the day. Maybe one day as the pilot shortage progresses they will be hiring people without ATPLs and interviewing people without degrees but that's not going on today, when it happens feel free to apply.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sorry buddy, I've been trying to convey to the up and comers that now is the time to get on board, since the timing is superb. That does not sound like a twisted old never been trying to piss people off or precluding them from pursuing a rather good career option, quite the contrary, I am saying go for it big time.

You are an elitist who enjoys stepping on what you consider inferior beings. Have at it. Never been because I did not work for big red, yeah right, some attitudes never change. Seems like there are a number of never beens out there.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Confusedalot... I think you are off on what you are hearing from your friend.

Your argument that AC must have low experience applicants because there is a pilot shortage is wrong.
Will it get there? I am sure, but it isn't there yet...

Here are some of my observations:

- there is a pilot shortage
- despite that AC is currently still hiring high levels of experience, grass is greener for now...

- looking through the bios, I see:
- Jet drivers from WestJet, Air Transat, Sunwing, First Air, express carriers, Canadian military, foreign militaries, foreign carriers, corporate
- 705 turboprop pilots from Porter, Encore, Jazz, Pacific Coastal, Calm Air
- I did see one guy from CMA in the Bios, not sure if that's off the Beech or Dornier, I think there was a Bearskin guy too, and a couple others with similar backgrounds

- Lots of pilots over 35 years old, late 40s+ even

- There a few young guys/gals, most from the Jazz pml, I see most were Q400 captains, even trainers, and most listed a turboprop job before that...

So if by "license still wet,, no experience, lowtimer", what you really mean is 3500 hour Q400 Captain who had a blessed career, with fast progression... then I guess that's accurate - because that's the bottom of the experience ladder looking through the past year of Bios.

I get what you're saying, cost my left nut just to get a turboprop job in my time, and a decade of trying to get to AC - with a pile of varied experience and a high school diploma...

Bottom line, as long as AC is offering the growth opportunities it is now, low seniority guys will come here from Canada's other airlines, the express list is drying up for now, but will continue to fill some seats... eventually there won't be as many high experience applicants, but those with high experience will be applying here...

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Thank you Altiplano for the insight, certainly not disputing that at all, although I am surprised that many of the higher timers would choose, what would be considered a sideways move, for an already established career elsewhere.

(As an example, I personally, and that's just me, would not opt to go BOTL with an A330 left seat making not bad money at age 40, businesswise, just not worth it for me, but that is just me)

I guess that the pilot shortage, in a sense, is really not much of a shortage with those types of resumes on the market. It actually sounds even more competitive than in my time, between 1980 to 2015.

I'll take this pilot shortage talk with a huge grain of salt.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Like I said, while the grass is greener...

I suppose it depends what "not bad money is", and where you're at in life if it's worth making a move...

jim67994
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jim67994 »

I've applied, and I'm wondering, will I get a response of some kind whether or not I've been selected for an interview? Those people who are going to the groundschool in December, when were those interviews conducted?

Thanks!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

You will only hear from then if they select you for an interview.

jim67994
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jim67994 »

Thanks Altiplano! For the last job posting, is it likely that anyone who would have heard back has heard by now? Obviously I haven't heard anything, and I'm assuming it's because I was not selected.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

I think most of the interviews being conducted now are from the April 2016 pool, with the exception of the PML candidates who were in the pipeline at the beginning of this year. Some of the the high-time/jet guys who applied in October are probably being contacted now as well.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Of course there is a shortage, but mainly at the regional level and down. A lot of regionals are cancelling/delaying flights right now because of lack of crew. This is a fact!

I know people who where hired OTS recently with only 705 right seat time and about 3000TT.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

garfield wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm Of course there is a shortage, but mainly at the regional level and down. A lot of regionals are cancelling/delaying flights right now because of lack of crew. This is a fact!

I know people who where hired OTS recently with only 705 right seat time and about 3000TT.
Once again, I have no dog in this race. However, that sounds just about the same as my friends were saying, however some are disputing that.

Is there a shortage or not, I am confused.

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

No you said 1000 hours, high school diploma, and "movie star" looks.

Return to “Air Canada”