The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

Flynavy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Flynavy »

Congrats and see you on 29th at the GS, Stan Darsh.
Master/3650 hours/military/no 705.
---------- ADS -----------

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

Hello ,

OTS application Oct'2017.

Anybody got call for online video interview?
Any status update for OTS hiring from OCT'2017 applicants ?

Thanks.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Nothing whatsoever...University Aviation Diploma, ATPL and 3300TT with 2000MPIC 704/703 time and training Captain. I'm surprised to see another AC pilot posting on pilot career center just put up today...still waiting patiently for my iPhone to ring!

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 am Nothing whatsoever...University Aviation Diploma, ATPL and 3300TT with 2000MPIC 704/703 time and training Captain. I'm surprised to see another AC pilot posting on pilot career center just put up today...still waiting patiently for my iPhone to ring!
Just be careful cause the phone won't ring, all communication (in normal cases) goes to your email. They don't call you or speak to you unless they want to clarify something that is not clear, otherwise it is all via email. Also, make sure you check your Junk Email as some of the correspondence may get filtered out and sent to your Junk/Spam folders, I know a couple of people this happened to and in one case one missed his deadline for a reply. Good Luck!

Last edited by iamnomaverick on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FOD,

FYI -
Looking at the recent classes:
Only a small handful out of the last couple hundred new hires are coming from a commuter type carrier... Most are coming from jets - RJs/737s/330s, I saw one guy off a '47, a bunch are from 705 turboprops too -8s/ATRs/Saabs, and of course some ex-military guys.

So if your 3000 hours of 703/704 doesn't get you a call, don't get discouraged - keep building and diversifying your experience. I was there, I know how it goes... Tough waiting by the phone when you see all the hiring...
Good luck.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Wow 3000 hour, a University diploma (?), and an iPhone and still no call.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:52 am Wow 3000 hour, a University diploma (?), and an iPhone and still no call.
I started out along those lines, but managed to reign it in... trying to be better, new year and all...

CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CitationNation »

Last edited by CitationNation on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:
Windows 10, Motorola phone, sold my boat, PFOd...

CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CitationNation »

Last edited by CitationNation on Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

For context some people that applied in March of 2016 are just now starting their groundschools. I'm not saying it's going to take you 2 years from application to flying the line but that is what happened with the most recent group. It might be healthy for you to temper your enthusiasm for the sake of your long term sanity.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 am
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am They only hire if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. :lol:
Windows 10, Motorola phone, sold my boat, PFOd...
Well they say the happiest day is when you buy your boat or sell your boat!

Let’s Go Brandon
Saborig
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saborig »

Hi all, would a reference letter from the prime minister help? How about a twitter shoutout from Trump. I think i have a better chance with achieving that then joining AC.

Flyfisher21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyfisher21 »

Would anyone who has completed the online interview recently care to share any information? Does anyone know if they change the questions or how frequently? Please PM thanks

For those who are curious.. applied in OCT. 4000TT, aviation diploma, 705 PIC

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

So it seems nobody has received the call from OTS Oct'17 ...

if anybody has received it, please share the information.
Thanks.

wondering?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wondering? »

I've been slowly reading through this thread lately trying to learn as much as possible about AC. I am not all the way through but have a question relating to a current opportunity.
I have been interviewed for two different positions and am curious which one is the more likely to appeal to AC in the long run. I am high on single engine PIC time and low on MPIC. I have one opportunity to go fly multi pistons as captain thereby building MPIC time and another that is an FO on a turboprop.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball but as an OTS applicant in the nearish future (a year or two maybe), what would those in the know deem as a more desirable option. Higher MPIC (piston) or more two crew turbo prop time?
Obvious hiring requirements could change quickly but I am just curious what others think.
I am continuing to read through the thread so hopefully I can find more information about this.

Thank you all,

W

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Flying hours doesn't seem to be overly important. I know several co-workers with many years at Jazz who have way over 10000 hours that were turned down. Just boils down to their hiring matrix or whatever you want to call it.
Also many have been hired who never worked a job as a captain and had only a few hours of multi engine PIC - as in whatever you got during flight training.

Let’s Go Brandon
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

wondering? wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm I've been slowly reading through this thread lately trying to learn as much as possible about AC. I am not all the way through but have a question relating to a current opportunity.
I have been interviewed for two different positions and am curious which one is the more likely to appeal to AC in the long run. I am high on single engine PIC time and low on MPIC. I have one opportunity to go fly multi pistons as captain thereby building MPIC time and another that is an FO on a turboprop.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball but as an OTS applicant in the nearish future (a year or two maybe), what would those in the know deem as a more desirable option. Higher MPIC (piston) or more two crew turbo prop time?
Obvious hiring requirements could change quickly but I am just curious what others think.
I am continuing to read through the thread so hopefully I can find more information about this.

Thank you all,

W

Unless your PIC is on something like a PC-12 likely niether option will get you to AC in a year or two. If the upgrade on the turbine is fast that would be the better route to take. That or go to a regional if your times are competitive for that. The average new hire is over 3000 hours with command time on something like a Dash8 etc or lots of FO time on a big jet or military. Even the outliers have more than straight piston time.

Return to “Air Canada”