The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

Level Change
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Level Change »

wondering? wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:43 pm I've been slowly reading through this thread lately trying to learn as much as possible about AC. I am not all the way through but have a question relating to a current opportunity.
I have been interviewed for two different positions and am curious which one is the more likely to appeal to AC in the long run. I am high on single engine PIC time and low on MPIC. I have one opportunity to go fly multi pistons as captain thereby building MPIC time and another that is an FO on a turboprop.
Obviously no one has a crystal ball but as an OTS applicant in the nearish future (a year or two maybe), what would those in the know deem as a more desirable option. Higher MPIC (piston) or more two crew turbo prop time?
Obvious hiring requirements could change quickly but I am just curious what others think.
I am continuing to read through the thread so hopefully I can find more information about this.

Thank you all,

W

Been at Air Canada 22 years now, so probably a bit out of the loop hiring wise but I would think that coming from an FO position in a multi crew environment on a heavier turboprop is likely more appealing to an airline than coming from a single pilot light twin PIC position. I can pass along one bit of advice that was given to me by a 747 skipper at AC when I was in your exact position and it has been spot on. He told me that no matter what, to enjoy what I was doing now, because if I got to AC and it wasn't what I expected, or did not get there at all, It could make me a very bitter person. He was so right! I flew the airplanes I wanted to fly and had a great time doing it. I look back now and think, yeah, that was fun flying! So ask yourself, which position would you be happier in? The single pilot piston twin or the multi crew turboprop?

Best of luck with everything.
---------- ADS -----------

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Multi crew turboprop. Drinking by yourself after work isn't any fun

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Level Change wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 am
I look back now and think, yeah, that was fun flying! So ask yourself, which position would you be happier in? The single pilot piston twin or the multi crew turboprop?

Best of luck with everything.
I agree, enjoy the journey, they're both great opportunities to further your career. Most of AC's new hires seem to be coming from 705 operations (with a few from the military and a small number from corporate operations), so realistically, this job is just the one that you're going to have prior to moving on to a bigger operation, not the last step before AC calls. There are a number of pilots being hired before they are Captain at a 705 carrier, so I say go Multi-PIC, it's a great learning experience.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

fyi - First Jan 2018 GS had something like the following composition roughly
- 3 porter
- 1 corporate
- 5 Encore
- 1 WJ
- 15 Jazz
- 2 Air Transat
- 4 SKY
- 2 Sunwing
- 3 GGN
- 1 Morningstar
- 1 exMilitary

pilotabc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotabc »

Any news from the last OTS hiring application?

I have a few friends, one with a degree the other diploma and second language who got a video interview. Anyone received a PFO email or has it been just no news or video interview email?

Cheers

IKEA_Monkey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IKEA_Monkey »

Just received my invite for a video interview. Re-read this thread and did a quick search but couldn't find much info on the video interview itself. Is it just simple demographic/work history type questions or is it more involved with a bunch of "..tell me a time when" type stuff?

Applied back in October when the portal reopened. 6000+ TT, 705, Aviation Diploma.

jim67994
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jim67994 »

No news for me. No call, no PFO.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

jim67994 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 pm No news for me. No call, no PFO.
They are approximately 10% in to the October rush. What this strongly implies to me is that a huge number of applicants were deemed worth talking to, so much that rather than rank the whole works they're just contacting anyone who clears the bar as they get to them.

DEFPOTEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DEFPOTEC »

Today is 3 weeks since I completed the video interview. No news. Anyone else in a similar situation?

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Got the email for the online interview on Friday. I got PFO'd 6 years ago when I interviewed the first time. Had 2800 hours then. Have 4000 now with 900 Jet pic and a whole pile of mutil turbine pic from before. University Degree and an aviation diploma. Applied second week of November 2017.

Has anyone who has done the online interview recently heard back at all?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Whatever you guys and gals get as a result, don't take it personally from these people. I have known and met sooo.....many, who perfectly fit the bill and were turned down for incomprehensible reasons, so the whole thing is just a lottery. (hey, they used to draw seniority by straws, says alot about the system)

And yes, I know a few who won, that leaves me scratching my head.

Senior cathay first officer, 747-8, plus an ame licence, plus college, turned down.
737NG captain, physics degree, turned down.
And I can go on and on.

Me too, amongst the many, college, heavy jet pic, check pilot and instructor, blah blah blah.....it really does not mean anything in the end.

Personal thoughts; If you fit into their version of what a "cool" looking employee looks like, or said differently, if you win the big red popularity contest, that is all that it takes. The psych and medical and sim hoops are only there to present a thorough image, where the obvious issues are screened out, that the vast majority get through anyways.

There is nothing to understand in their system, it is what it is, always been a mystery since my time and even well before as far as I know.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Could be a personality issue.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

The people that I mentioned and others that I can think about do not suffer from any adverse personality issues, quite the contrary, you would want to associate with them.

The system remains a mystery.

55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

I was a member on interview panels during external competitions for positions at TC few years back. Competition was keen as those jobs were attractive and did indeed get many interesting people, majority of which were well qualified beyond what was asked for. On thing that was always noted amongst us panelists is what was shown on paper and what was in front of you during the interview process was vastly different. Some who were considered strong didn’t seem prepared, while others with a limited background were very impressive on interviews. I suspect that is much the same in all industries.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm Personal thoughts; If you fit into their version of what a "cool" looking employee looks like, or said differently, if you win the big red popularity contest, that is all that it takes.
I’m glad you prefaced it with “personal thoughts” because you really have no idea what your talking about.

Duke Point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duke Point »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm Whatever you guys and gals get as a result, don't take it personally from these people. I have known and met sooo.....many, who perfectly fit the bill and were turned down for incomprehensible reasons, so the whole thing is just a lottery. (hey, they used to draw seniority by straws, says alot about the system)

And yes, I know a few who won, that leaves me scratching my head.

Senior cathay first officer, 747-8, plus an ame licence, plus college, turned down.
737NG captain, physics degree, turned down.
And I can go on and on.

Me too, amongst the many, college, heavy jet pic, check pilot and instructor, blah blah blah.....it really does not mean anything in the end.

Personal thoughts; If you fit into their version of what a "cool" looking employee looks like, or said differently, if you win the big red popularity contest, that is all that it takes. The psych and medical and sim hoops are only there to present a thorough image, where the obvious issues are screened out, that the vast majority get through anyways.

There is nothing to understand in their system, it is what it is, always been a mystery since my time and even well before as far as I know.

Had a chat with a Check Pilot doing sim who was doing interview screening not a few days ago. He said there are plenty of qualified candidates with great attitudes. He emphasised the word attitude. So, its not likely a "cool look" or a how much time you've done instructing inverted in an F-18 that will secure the position. I've flown with plenty of new hires that have " great heavy experience" that cant seem to figure out how to handle the aircraft after 6 months.....while I've flown with those from Porter or Georgian with no jet time that make me look bad just about every time I fly with them. Funny.....but the hiring department is doing an excellent job.

DP

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

confusedalot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pmPersonal thoughts; If you fit into their version of what a "cool" looking employee looks like, or said differently, if you win the big red popularity contest, that is all that it takes. The psych and medical and sim hoops are only there to present a thorough image, where the obvious issues are screened out
Now that I'm on the other side, my confusedman, I can reveal to you that only those with a Premium Elite Singles account will be hired.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sorry to have upset some while trying to defend some really good guys. No.....the rejects are great people with great attitudes that I actually feel sorry for, since they would have made a great addition. Flew with them, worked with them, got to know them.

I have now learned to never defend others on this thread. Air Canada knows better. Never changes...........

Good evening.............

Duke Point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Duke Point »

You aren't wrong. I personally know a handful of awesome pilots that have been turned away. It's very disappointing actually.........equally, I've also flown with very, very weak new hires. Few in number, but also disappointing.

For the most part though, the selection process seems to be working. I'm especially enjoying working with the senior Jazz Skippers that made the jump. They're a fantastic addition to the team.

DP.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

You complain new hires are weak but offer them $50k/year to join to protect more senior salaries. What is the motivation for more experienced people to apply at Air Canada if that's what the company thinks they are worth.

Return to “Air Canada”