The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by lownslow »

daedalusx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm What's the breakdown between express and OTS ?
If you’re asking for the sake of career planning you’ll have to just roll the dice and make an intelligent decision. If you go express, expect to spend a minimum of two years there during which time everything could change. If you plan for OTS it’s anyone’s guess but consider spending your spare time learning French or something.
---------- ADS -----------

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

More so if they back to 80% +/-?

Also any OTS care to share when they interviewed for the current ground school? Trying to get timeline...

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

lownslow wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 pm
daedalusx wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm What's the breakdown between express and OTS ?
If you’re asking for the sake of career planning you’ll have to just roll the dice and make an intelligent decision. If you go express, expect to spend a minimum of two years there during which time everything could change. If you plan for OTS it’s anyone’s guess but consider spending your spare time learning French or something.
Not at all. I'm really just curious about the hiring trend since it was heavily skewed toward the Jazz/Express guys on the original PML, then 2017 was almost exclusively OTS, just wondering what's the new baseline on those fall GS as it might be an indicator of what's to come next for 2019, also mostly curious because we're quite overstaffed here at Jazz and hoping that more than a few guys getting to Big Red will help movement for the rest of the pilot group.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

We were told on my PIT course that the plan was 30 every 3 weeks indefinitely, and that they wanted to be as close to the 80% express ratio as they could be. It was stated very clearly though that the ratio would not be maintained if the integrity of the express schedule was compromised.

The early October class had several express folks. I haven't seen the bios of class that started last week. My class (September) had 14 Jazz I believe, and a handful of GGN and Sky guys as well.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

skypirate88 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:20 am We were told on my PIT course that the plan was 30 every 3 weeks indefinitely, and that they wanted to be as close to the 80% express ratio as they could be. It was stated very clearly though that the ratio would not be maintained if the integrity of the express schedule was compromised.

The early October class had several express folks. I haven't seen the bios of class that started last week. My class (September) had 14 Jazz I believe, and a handful of GGN and Sky guys as well.
Good to know. Thanks.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Has hiring throttled back a bit for OTS? Seems quiet here.

S.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Looks like still lots of OTS hires in the last class. The class size was only 21 instead of 40 though. Usual mix of military, WestJetters, ex-pats returning, etc.
Nice to see some Georgian 1900 folks after their positions were eliminated.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am Looks like still lots of OTS hires in the last class. The class size was only 21 instead of 40 though. Usual mix of military, WestJetters, ex-pats returning, etc.
:smt023

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am Looks like still lots of OTS hires in the last class. The class size was only 21 instead of 40 though. Usual mix of military, WestJetters, ex-pats returning, etc.
do you know how come it was only 21 instead of 40 ? looks like things are slowing down :/ .. and curious to know how many guys/girls (&background) on the nov 12 groundschool if someone can give the info...

cheers and good luck to everybody!

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

The biographies of new hires usually aren't posted on the internal website for a couple weeks, as has been mentioned several times on this thread hiring is planned to continue indefinitely. Changes to the air regulations and retirements will become the main drivers as existing vacancies are filled. Simulator availability is a factor when deciding how many pilots can be hired a month.

skypilot69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skypilot69 »

For those slotted for the next course(s), when did you interview?

CitationNation
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CitationNation »

Oops

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

skypilot69 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm For those slotted for the next course(s), when did you interview?
End of May. Calls have gone to guys who interviewed until end of June as well for december 3 and New Year courses.

landsky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by landsky »

Friend of mine interviewed mid September and was just called for the Dec 3 course.... coming from Jazz though so kind of unrelated to this thread but thought I’d mention it.

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

How many days would one be on RES and are you able to bid days off for the days off you have? Sorry may be the wrong thread...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

landshark wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm How many days would one be on RES and are you able to bid days off for the days off you have? Sorry may be the wrong thread...
You get 12.25 days off per month on reserve.

You bid them based on seniority, but it has to fit a pattern, and often that results in seniority not being respected in the bid.

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

Appreciate that. Thanks

skypilot69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skypilot69 »

dtpilot wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 am
skypilot69 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm For those slotted for the next course(s), when did you interview?
End of May. Calls have gone to guys who interviewed until end of June as well for december 3 and New Year courses.

Right on,
Any idea how far into the future that they fill / have filled courses?

skypilot69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skypilot69 »

skypilot69 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm
dtpilot wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 am

Right on,
Any idea how far into the future that they fill / have filled courses?
* how far into the new year

landshark
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by landshark »

Would anybody know the first date in Jan for GS?

Return to “Air Canada”