The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

Jetpipe Overheat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Jetpipe Overheat »

"The 15 AT planes are going to hit the fleet pretty fast. Honestly we can barely crew the planes we already have. If they just nix'd the 737's and with the addition of the AT planes, the 330's and NEOs we'd barely be able to crew all of that as well. By the time we catch up it could be 5 years from now anyways."

All the AT planes are already crewed by AT pilots. No need to "crew all of that as well".
---------- ADS -----------

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure, AC pilots fly 600-700h a year, sometimes even more..... Given the shortage of aircraft cause by the 737 grounding I can see a very busy summer for all AC and AT pilots... Even with the reduction of the Asian market, Aircraft have already been redeploy for March.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Jetpipe Overheat wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm "The 15 AT planes are going to hit the fleet pretty fast. Honestly we can barely crew the planes we already have. If they just nix'd the 737's and with the addition of the AT planes, the 330's and NEOs we'd barely be able to crew all of that as well. By the time we catch up it could be 5 years from now anyways."

All the AT planes are already crewed by AT pilots. No need to "crew all of that as well".
Incorrect. The crewing percentages at AT and AC are very different.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

pilotbzh wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure
AT is still hiring pilots with a ground school of a small group every month until the end of the year minimum (and it’s been approved by AC); medical exam same as AC.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

It's still a tiny number vs. what will be needed.

AT has pilots retiring too, so they need to keep hiring obviously. They aren't doing classes like AC though with 40+ per course.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:07 pm It's still a tiny number vs. what will be needed.

AT has pilots retiring too, so they need to keep hiring obviously. They aren't doing classes like AC though with 40+ per course.
You’re right. About 10 pilots are retiring per year and they are looking for about 80 until the end of the year. Small numbers compared to AC.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:42 pm
pilotbzh wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure
AT is still hiring pilots with a ground school of a small group every month until the end of the year minimum (and it’s been approved by AC); medical exam same as AC.
I don't think AC is in any position to approve any decisions at AT.

I think they would be very careful to avoid colluding on anything as I believe it would be against regulations until the purchase is approved.

Last edited by altiplano on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Maybe somebody can chime in but I had applied at Air Canada several times in my career. I got the video interview in Feb 2017 as part of the PML program, yet I never heard a word from HR after completion. I'm now at another airline and have applied a couple of times since and still nothing. I even have internal recommends from captains. I figure with 900+ vacancies, I'd have at least heard something by now, even for better or worse.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Or, I should ask if anyone has encountered this as well with some resolution in the end :smt102

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The internal reference only applies to when the hiring board makes the decision to hire you or not. It doesn’t get you an interview faster.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

Probably would have been a better idea to stay at Jazz. You'd have been at AC a year already. Guess it wasn't so smart after all to go to Flair for the quick payday.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

Probably would have been a better idea to stay at Jazz. You'd have been at AC a year already. Guess it wasn't so smart after all to go to Flair for the quick payday.
I wasn't at Jazz and I didn't go to Flair to chase a paycheque. I took a paycut actually, so the assumptions are off on both accounts. Also as mentioned, all I got to do was a video interview. Hadn't been given an in-person interview and waited about 6 months after doing the video interview before I changed companies, so saying I would have already been a year at AC is not really accurate.

I totally get there's always competition but figured after years of applying without hearing anything, especially considering the vacancies, I found was a bit baffling. Figured someone at AC might have an idea as to why.

Cheers

Last edited by flying4dollars on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm
derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

I wasn't at Jazz and I didn't go to Flair to chase a paycheque. I took a paycut actually, so the assumptions are off on both accounts. Also as mentioned, all I got to do was a video interview. Hadn't been given an in-person interview and waited about 6 months after doing the video interview before I changed companies, so saying I would have already been a year at AC is not really accurate.

I totally get there's always competition but figured after years of applying without hearing anything, especially considering the vacancies, I found was a bit baffling. Figured someone at AC might have an idea as to why.

Cheers
Sorry, I assumed you were at Jazz given you were talking about PML and technically no other express carrier has ever had a PML. Even a version 2.0.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

bob99 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).
There's been a bunch of Encore in the past few months, but given the vacancies on the widebodies I would imagine the company will be focusing more on overseas.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Cheers
I find that strange that you didn't hear back after a video interview. You should have heard something I would expect.

I imagine they told you an approximation on when you might expect the next step or hearing from them after the video interview?

Did you follow up at all?

I would guess there may have been a technical issue with either the video interview not being submitted or their response not being received by you. Or perhaps it slipped through the cracks or fell off the back of a desk.

Nonetheless, I know the feeling and it's frustrating and tough to understand the system - try to not let or get to you and keep applying. Maybe even follow up on the earlier video interview? See what went wrong with your application?

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 pm
bob99 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).
There's been a bunch of Encore in the past few months, but given the vacancies on the widebodies I would imagine the company will be focusing more on overseas.
August was the last class that had anyone directly from Encore. Unless you meant interviewed. If so, that’s encouraging. I know some that interviewed in July and are still waiting.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Sorry, I assumed you were at Jazz given you were talking about PML and technically no other express carrier has ever had a PML. Even a version 2.0.
No sweat! Simple misunderstanding. I was at Georgian and yes, there was a PML. Though it was never really as efficient as planned. So my video interview was assigned according to my seniority but didn't receive any correspondence in the following months so I chose to move on from Georgian and get me some jet time and maybe give the resume some love so that I had some extra motivation for AC to call haha. Which is why I'm still left scratching my head 3 years later :rolleyes:

altiplano wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm
I find that strange that you didn't hear back after a video interview. You should have heard something I would expect.

I imagine they told you an approximation on when you might expect the next step or hearing from them after the video interview?

Did you follow up at all?

I would guess there may have been a technical issue with either the video interview not being submitted or their response not being received by you. Or perhaps it slipped through the cracks or fell off the back of a desk.

Nonetheless, I know the feeling and it's frustrating and tough to understand the system - try to not let or get to you and keep applying. Maybe even follow up on the earlier video interview? See what went wrong with your application?
I found it a bit odd too which is why I'm still baffled. I did follow up after a few months and I received an email back saying they were prioritizing people for in person interviews based on their levels of education, experience and background. I have an aviation diploma and tons of flight experience so I wasn't sure what I was missing at the time.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Maybe you picked your nose or slipped in a couple F-bombs during the video interview and didn't even realize it.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I was at Sky and from my video interview to an email setting up my in person was 10 months (that was in 2017-18). You probably moved on too quickly. As you left an express carrier your application died with it I would believe.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Squid wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm This coupled with Jazz having nobody to upgrade in their last bid. My guess is a all stop on hiring around the corner.

Large numbers planned for the ground schools in March.

Return to “Air Canada”