The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 974

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

The fall comes quicker than you think, blink of an eye.

Sorry everyone for bringing down this thread with a salary discussion.

I wish everyone in the process lots of luck with their interviews and eventual fantastic careers. All those PFOd, I hope you keep your chins up, and keep fighting the good fight. Good luck on your next round.

Cheers,

S Out.
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Take whatever timeline an HR department gives you and double it would be a good rule of thumb :D
Glad I didn't wait for the interview as many advised and just got a new job months ago.

zar_man12321
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zar_man12321 »

I remember looking through one of the topics and someone posted the Air Canada contract. Anyone have access to it?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It's not all bad boys and April is a good month...

Profit share?

I'll take that $18k...

ESOP payouts?

I'll take that $8K...

What?

Taxes?

Shiiiit....

Qdrivermann
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Qdrivermann »

Well good news... AC HR Dept also sent me the hurry-up and wait email yesterday!! Am very happy they didnt forget about us!! Looking forward to hearing from them when they are ready!! I've extended my current contract to avoid having to move family and sign a new bond for a new type - I'll wait until I get accepted or rejected at AC - let's see how the cards fall!! Best of luck to you all who are applying and still waiting!!

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyhighneverdie »

Passed tru the video interview and did the in-person interview. Also got the email saying we are hiring next fall until then you are on hold. I think it was foreseeable that we wouldn't be hired for this summer and that make sense to me.

However, anyone actually received a PFO after the in person interview? or we all receive the please wait email?

Trying to understand if the please wait implies that the interview was somehow successful and that we are in a sort of pool for 12 months or it means that when the time comes, they will evaluate our files and continue the process or pfo. I imagine/hope that if we where unsuccessful at the interview/test they would PFO us right away instead of delaying our file evaluation but the fact that they say that "your application will be put on hold" give me a mixed feeling. :?

Boomerang72
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boomerang72 »

I as well got the "Ground Schools are full". I did the in-person interview in Feb and the medical back at the end of March.

I'm assuming 1 of 2 things have happened here. 1) They reduced the number of ground school spots for whatever reason and over interviewed for the number of vacancies. 2) They're filling the hiring pool. I'm leaning more towards #2. I've been in this situation before with another company where I received a vague "your application on hold" email and ended up getting the "you're hired" call almost a year later.

Chin up lads, it's not a PFO letter.

Yet.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

I can't imagine having to wait ~6 months to find out if you passed your interview. HR practices need to change. No a company doesn't owe you anything but it's common decency to not leave people hanging for months. I think they handle so many applicants that they just become numbers to them and they forget that there are real people attached to those files. If you want to tell me we might interview in the fall, sure no problem. But don't interview someone and then leave them hanging for half a year.

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

Boomerang72 wrote:I as well got the "Ground Schools are full". I did the in-person interview in Feb and the medical back at the end of March.

I'm assuming 1 of 2 things have happened here. 1) They reduced the number of ground school spots for whatever reason and over interviewed for the number of vacancies. 2) They're filling the hiring pool. I'm leaning more towards #2. I've been in this situation before with another company where I received a vague "your application on hold" email and ended up getting the "you're hired" call almost a year later.

Chin up lads, it's not a PFO letter.

Yet.
Same situation for myself; medical at end of March and then this letter. I imagine we all won't hear much until later summer, which is a bit disappointing being so far along in the process, but not entirely unsurprising with summer typically being so busy.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Seems cruel. They know now if you pass or not. They don't have to give a job offer but at least let you know if you are in the pool or not.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Jean-Pierre wrote:Seems cruel. They know now if you pass or not. They don't have to give a job offer but at least let you know if you are in the pool or not.
With the last hiring cycle they had problems with telling candidates they were in the pool since some interpreted that status as "hired" and communicated/made decisions as such. I can assure you, even if the hiring dept is 100% yes on a candidate, they WILL NOT communicate that fact until a job (read: PIT course) is available. This is not disorganization, or lack of respect. The fact is, the hiring dept (and training dept for that matter) receive crew planning info and vacancy numbers sometimes on fairly short notice, and the flip side sometimes tentative PIT courses are canceled or postponed by fleet decisions/route planning/etc and the training & hiring depts are at the mercy of these decisions.
Telling someone "You made it!" without having a definite vacancy ready to fill can quickly turn awkward, expensive, and in the end, guess what: it would come off as disrespectful. They are well aware there are humans attached to every resume. But it's worth noting; AC is huge operation, with 30 000 employees, 1500 flights per day, and revenues nearly 16 billion. If that makes you feel like a small number in a big machine, best get used to it early.

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

Aviators right.
It's a tough situation, but they can't say you're hired cause their are too many factors that can change that over 6 months. Although if you interviewed and did a medical I would think you're in good shape, they wouldn't wait 6 months to PFO you.

At least it'll be warm in hell...
thedarknight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thedarknight »

I've been waiting for over a month now on the result from my video interview, anybody in that group? I'm patient and I know that so far as I don't get a PFO email then I could still be in the "pool" instead of the poo..haha.
I have a good job as it is, so no hurry. Those who don't succeed (and it might be myself included) shouldn't get down, there are other good jobs out there. No airline in this world is a paradise, present company included. For all of you that have already gone through the personal interview and medical, but have been told to wait look on the bright side many of us would love to have been told to just wait. Good luck to all.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

If you didn't receive the 'wait until fall' email at the same time as everyone else I would think they are planning to conduct your in person interview before then.

Maybe someone else could comment on how quickly a PFO or invitation for in person interview came after their video interview.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I am on the Jazz PML, and I know this is an OTS thread, but I did my in person back in January and haven't heard anything since.

I suspect no news is good news though. Just take your place in line and hope for a call I guess.

Good luck

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Did you do your medical also?

How long did it take to hear back after your video interview if you did one.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

No medical. The only reply I got was when I emailed them informing them I had added my college diploma to my profile. She just said thanks for letting her know.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I updated my profile a few weeks ago. I see a few people are getting wait till fall emails. Is no news good news or would I receive a not interested at all, stop bugging us email? Any way to tell whether an application is sitting in the round file vs just being processed? Curious.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Any guesses as to when the OTS window might re-open for applications?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Can I just ask for a quick review of how the hiring process is going?

My understanding is that the goal is to train 30 pilots a month but that they are so far only able to train 24 pilots a month, and the PML guarantees 80% are from ACE carriers, so basically 4.8 people a month come from the pool of already interviewed candidates from the 2016 invitations.

Am I in the ballpark? Anybody know how deep the pool is from the 2016 invites?

Return to “Air Canada”