Air Canada: I would like some information about the airline.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JustinKruspe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada: I would like some information about the airline.

Post by JustinKruspe »

I'm an aspiring Air Canada First Officer, and I would really like some more information about the airline. Such as, lifestyle, perks/benefits, environment (location), and what it's like making a career out of ACA.
A bit about me, I'm 16 years of age, and I'm living in America (Washington). I've been fascinated by aviation my whole life, and have never had my mind set on anything but this. I'm set to earn my CPL by 2019.
I'm looking for a career path to take me out into a new environment. Preferably at 35,000ft. in a B777-233(LR). That aside, I really would like to make it into ACA soon, and I'm hoping that I can get some clearer information about them.

Thank you,

Justin.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Air Canada: I would like some information about the airl

Post by fish4life »

I remember being in a similar situation of a younger kid looking to the airlines so I don't want to come off as sounding harsh but just educational.

First of all do you have dual citizenship or at least a right to work in Canada? If not you will need to get that before you can go any further (that said there is a lot of great American Airlines to work for with higher pay)

Second: typically to get on with an airline such as Air Canada you will need to gain some experience by working for much smaller companies flying much smaller planes until you have a couple thousand hours and your Airline Transport License. Getting your first job is hard and in my experience maybe half the people who get a commercial license ever end up continue with being a pilot for a career. Part of the problem is most of these jobs are in small towns away from cities with low pay or they have you loading airplanes for a bit before you can fly.

Third: this might be the most important thing to think about and is probably the toughest to imagine when your young. Do you want a job where you are on the road at least half the month while working a lot of holidays, evenings, weekends and even though the night?

Fourth: AC is a great company but during your journey try different types of flying you may find a bunch of different careers being a pilot you might not even know about now. Most of all enjoy the journey some of your best friends and people you will talk to later in your career are going to be guys you started working some of your first jobs with. Always be respectful and never burn any bridges you never know if that guy who was your first officer when your a Captain might be who your calling to for an internal reference down the road.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Air Canada”