Pay to sit next to your toddler

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yvrpilot74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Pay to sit next to your toddler

Post by yvrpilot74 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3557744

Interesting article. Profits aside, how can this be safe in the case of an evacuation? Are parents expected to rush to the nearest exit and leave their young child rows behind to fend for themselves?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Pay to sit next to your toddler

Post by ahramin »

I think the safety comes from it never happening. The parents can check in online 24 hours ahead and choose seats next to each other. If they can't figure that out, the CSA who checks them in will figure it out. If that's not possible the gate agent will deal with it. If that doesn't happen the F/As might fix it.

If all of the above doesn't happen and your 2 year old ends up screaming their head off and refusing to wear their seatbelt, I'm sure someone will deal with it at that point, and THEN it should end up in the news. In the mean time, it's much ado about nothing.

The media article says the parents each paid the 40$ to reserve their seats, so if they have half a brain cell between themselves, they'll reserve the window and aisle of the same row and make it easier for everyone. Even if they don't though, zero chance of them actually flying with their kid sitting somewhere else. Simply not a problem.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

And also, contrary to CBC's hatred of AC, it's not a policy restricted to AC.

WestJet does the exact same thing.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

I would pay not to sit next to mine. :smt040

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

razorblade wrote:I would pay not to sit next to mine. :smt040
I was thinking the same thing about mine. They should see it as free babysitting. I could imagine handing the Lead FA a list and my seat number as an emergency contact. Best of luck! See you when we land. Can I get a drink now?

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not sure if it has changed but last time I did this, they wouldn't let group bookings check in online. So couldn't get seats together with the kids. My 8 yo sat next to a pita, wouldn't change seats but then b1tched about having to watch my kid.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

There must have been a compelling reason why the parents couldn't have asked the cabin staff for a seat switch with either the mother or the father...?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

razorblade wrote:I would pay not to sit next to mine. :smt040
I detect a new revenue stream for AC.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

They say that is for children upto 12 yrs of age. In Ontario at that age a child can be home alone and look after a sibling, but apparently can't sit alone on a plane.

Toddler...of course, with the parents.

10yrs old....time to suck it up princess.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

snowcone wrote:They say that is for children upto 12 yrs of age. In Ontario at that age a child can be home alone and look after a sibling, but apparently can't sit alone on a plane.

And what if a 10 year doesn't behave and let's say damages something from the passenger next to him ? Mess around with a phone or laptop, stuff like that. Who is responsible ? Would you want to sit next to a 10 year old that isn't yours and might be misbehaving ? Are you supposed to discipline him ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I still like the WestJet KargoKids idea :) :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SkoJy3D0M

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

digits_ wrote:
snowcone wrote:They say that is for children upto 12 yrs of age. In Ontario at that age a child can be home alone and look after a sibling, but apparently can't sit alone on a plane.

And what if a 10 year doesn't behave and let's say damages something from the passenger next to him ? Mess around with a phone or laptop, stuff like that. Who is responsible ? Would you want to sit next to a 10 year old that isn't yours and might be misbehaving ? Are you supposed to discipline him ?
What if anyone misbehaves? I mean there are far more problems with adults misbehaving on aircraft.

You do it the same. Press the call button and notify an F/A...

I've flown lots of flights with UM"s and never ever had an issue.

I've also flown without paying for seat selection dozens of times with a young child and every time except twice was able to select seats together at check in, the 2 times I didn't it was taken care of at the gate.

It sounds as though this couple is really just looking to get some press taking their "outrage" to the media. I mean it sounds like they got seated together, they just weren't able to advance select their seats together for free.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

Air Canada backs down. Effective last Friday:
procedures have been amended today so that Air Canada call centre agents will now assign "complimentary seating to children and their parents or guardians right at the time of booking a Tango fare directly through Air Canada Reservations or their travel agent."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3560027

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

altiplano wrote:
What if anyone misbehaves? I mean there are far more problems with adults misbehaving on aircraft.

You do it the same. Press the call button and notify an F/A...
If an adult misbehaves, the adult is reponsible.
If a child misbehaves, the parents are responsible. Yet they are not allowed (in this example) to sit next to their child. So who becomes responsible, air canada ?

I don't find it weird that parents want to make sure they can sit next to their child at the time of booking. Not all of them are familiar with the options at the gate etc to change that stuff.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

digits_ wrote:
they are not allowed (in this example) to sit next to their child. So who becomes responsible, air canada ?
Again though, it was not a matter of this family not being allowed to sit with their child. They just didn't pay for the advance seat selection option...

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Return to “Air Canada”