Decent Places to live in Toronto near transit to Pearson?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

David Hasselhoff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Decent Places to live in Toronto near transit to Pearson?

Post by David Hasselhoff »

Will be new to Toronto... and as the title says... looking for an okay neighborhood with walking distance amenities and to relatively quick access to Pearson.... dont really care about restaurants or hipster beacons..... any recommends?

I was looking at Weston and Mississauga... but I really have no idea what those places are like...

Probably just rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment for a year or two before I figure out my next move....
---------- ADS -----------

DAVID HASSELHOFF IS THE ANTI-CHRIST.
http://www.esquilax.com/baywatch/

I'm really big in Germany......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Decent Places to live in Toronto near transit to Pearson

Post by altiplano »

Anywhere near union station downtown gets you on the UPE.

Square One area in Mississauga seems to have lots of shops and apartments. There is Mississauga Transit and GO bus service from there to YYZ.

Propjet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Propjet »

UP express stops on bloor as well near high park. High park is a great place to live and my top pick, though not cheap. Further east of Dundas, on bloor, would be close by too and likely cheaper. Bonus is you're on the subway line so getting downtown is easy too.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

David Hasselhoff wrote:Will be new to Toronto... and as the title says... looking for an okay neighborhood with walking distance amenities and to relatively quick access to Pearson.... dont really care about restaurants or hipster beacons..... any recommends?

I was looking at Weston and Mississauga... but I really have no idea what those places are like...

Probably just rent a 1-2 bedroom apartment for a year or two before I figure out my next move....
You have mail!

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

Mississauga is nice if you don't mind hearing aircraft movement overhead on your time off. Quick drive to and from YYZ at low times, 15-20 mins.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

If you want (IMHO) the best place to live in the GTA it's high park/bloor west village. It's the area on bloor between dundas and Jane street and if you live near bloor it's right on the subway. The up express stops at high park street cutting the public transit time in half.
The area is old growth trees, character homes, pubs, small shops and a ton of restaurants. Best part is you don't even need to own a car as it's that accessible.
Just SE of there is ronciesville (dundas south of bloor) also a great area.

Good luck.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

I would second what KAG says.
Bloor West might be more expensive for rent, but the potential $ savings in commuting costs with easy access to the UP ($7.00 round trip), not to mention the savings in time and frustration make it well worth a look.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

It depends where you will be moving from. When I first moved to TO I ended up right in high park. It was okay, and honestly probably the better part of city living in Toronto for what I was looking for.

I came from out west and am quite into the skiing/mountain biking/hiking/beach life style and found it a very hard transition. Toronto is surrounded by city in all directions (other than the lake) and it's hard to make a quick trip to the outdoors.

High Park was great for the park (especially in the winter when it was empty.. sometimes just me and the dog when it was coming down hard. In bloor west there are a lot of good restaurants and cafes/pubs. It's easy to stay away from big box stores and buy your food from butchers/ma and pop shops and support the smaller guys if that means anything to you. It is probably one of the more laid back areas of Toronto it self, but still kind of busy/rushed if you're from a smaller town or somewhere like the prairies or one of the coasts. It's Toronto and the city does act like the centre of Canada economically it's like a mini scaled down NYC. Good or bad it's personal preference.

I moved before the UPX opened but having the subway to get to work was nice.

I know live about 85 kms to the airport in a small town with close access to mtb trails, hiking trails, a lake all with a nice small town feel that does not share the same rush rush rush mentality of YYZ.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

Does one eventually get used to the smell of tinkle downtown? Anytime I am down there it always hits me like a flying frying pan to the face. I'm not cut out for city life, I suppose, although I do loathe my commute. Can't have it all.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

For the record I live in T4 (Barrie) can't afford to buy a home in High park...I do miss it though.

CIL, Yeah, you never really get used to the smell of poo that creeps up on you. Its bad in some spots in the GTA, high park no exception.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I'm in the Square 1 area and I have great access via transit or car.

Average commute is 20 minutes by car, never any real traffic to contend with.

I haven't used the transit yet, so I will refrain on estimating a length of travel time.

Good luck in your search and welcome to Toronto.

Don't hassle the Hoff.

S.

Return to “Air Canada”