First few years pay

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First few years pay

Post by dashtrash1 »

[/quote]
Thanks for that, just want to make sure, is that with max contribution to DC pension plan?
[/quote]

That was my most recent pay with the TBP plan, which has a fixed contribution rate. I'm not involved in the ESOP.
---------- ADS -----------

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

dashtrash1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am First paycheque after tax and deductions is $2100, while the second one has your per diems on it, and is usually around 2200 ($1400 without PDs).
:shock:

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Panama Jack wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 am
dashtrash1 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am First paycheque after tax and deductions is $2100, while the second one has your per diems on it, and is usually around 2200 ($1400 without PDs).
:shock:
Tranquilo Panama. You get two pay checks per month. One on the first (which is technically an advance) and one on the 17th.

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

2017 shows $75k.
25% year 1, 75% year 2 on flat pay on narrow body.
Flew a bit of overtime every other month. Could have easily done another 10k.
Sorted out pension in fall 2017 contract agreement was a huge relief for the long term.

Awesome awesome job, simply put.

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

Is there much opportunity for Over Time? Do you bid for it? Or do they just call you from time to time and ask if your interested?

Getting by on what is effectively 54k for the first 12 months is going to be a serious challenge to say the least....

By the way, I appreciate that it may vary from type to type, what's the average salary at year 5?

Thanks!

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Anybody at AC working side jobs on their time off? Does AC allow it?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I work as a psychiatrist for the flight attendants listening to all of life's problems. Unfortunately it is an unpaid position.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

:lol:
Victory wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 am I work as a psychiatrist for the flight attendants listening to all of life's problems. Unfortunately it is an unpaid position.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm Anybody at AC working side jobs on their time off? Does AC allow it?
Really?

You can't deal with 54k for a year? Many Canadians get by on much less.

You're better off being available for overtime if you want it.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Absolutely. I'm not a fan of max OT, you need your time off.

But being available one or two trips every few months on OT, or a sim seat fill... will likely pay you more than any side job and take less effort to see you through the lean years... At time and a half or double time, and pensionable, it adds up...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:13 am Absolutely. I'm not a fan of max OT, you need your time off.

But being available one or two trips every few months on OT, or a sim seat fill... will likely pay you more than any side job and take less effort to see you through the lean years... At time and a half or double time, and pensionable, it adds up...
Yeah, sorry... to clarify I agree. I usually take two, maybe three days a month and they're usually easy single turns.

But yes, even at only a few days a month you'll make more than any side job and work less days to make a comparable dollar amount.

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Lightchop wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:58 amReally?

You can't deal with 54k for a year? Many Canadians get by on much less.

You're better off being available for overtime if you want it.
That's sweet, good to know I can get by on less! I had no clue about that!

Maybe I just enjoy doing other things as well?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Consumers... :roll:

lol...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm Consumers... :roll:

lol...
Exactly.

Adjust your spending habits for a year or two.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

It's a little older but just a sheet for the narrow body AC Airbus vs 737 WJ and includes some additional info i.e. pension - I can't remember where I pulled it from but I've got every aircraft comparison between AC and WJ - sorry I can't recall who to give credit to for the information.
paycomparison.JPG
paycomparison.JPG (309.23 KiB) Viewed 3815 times

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

DHC7DVR wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 pm Is there much opportunity for Over Time? Do you bid for it? Or do they just call you from time to time and ask if your interested?

Getting by on what is effectively 54k for the first 12 months is going to be a serious challenge to say the least....

By the way, I appreciate that it may vary from type to type, what's the average salary at year 5?

Thanks!

Yes there is opportunity for Over Time. It does make a difference if you are mainline or Rouge. There has been a lot of moaning and groaning at mainline about about when and if the pilots on OT get the Draft premium.

Rouge is straightforward. You get called for Draft, you get paid double time and a half.
You put your name in for VO(voluntary overtime) you get paid time and a half.

Mainline has Draft and VO . Draft is time and a half.
VO is straight time.

Someone else an explain as to when you get the Draft premium at mainline. The guys that re-wrote/ negotiated that part of the contract are idiots.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rooster69 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:56 pm Mainline has Draft and VO .
Draft is time and a half.
VO is straight time.

Someone else an explain as to when you get the Draft premium at mainline. The guys that re-wrote/ negotiated that part of the contract are idiots.
I agree that those who renegotiated draft at Mainline made a mistake, but might as well get the details right...

VO is straight time to DBM,
VO is 50% premium above DBM
85 hour premium is 50%,
Draft is always 50% premium.

So depending on where you are in the blocking window DBM +1/-5, at depending what DBM is, 85 hours some months, you could be right into double time for any extra flying... You could be straight time for the first few hours too... I pick the months I'm willing to do an extra trip accordingly.

Draft premium they don't like to acknowledge anymore. But you can tell them you'll do a trip with draft premium only if you're under DBM, and if they need you you'll get it.
Or tell them you'll do draft with drop ONLY. That's really the best, but it's harder to get... last resort kinda thing.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What does draft and drop get you?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 am What does draft and drop get you?
Keep whichever is the higher of credit for the new trip or dropped trip, plus get paid 50% premium on all flying that is not within the original pairing footprint.

For example.
Scheduled for a 2 day trip, tomorrow, YYZ-YVR-YYZ. 10 hours pay.
Crew sked offers draft/drop to take a 2 day trip today YYZ-YYC-YYZ. 9 hours pay.
I still get paid the 10 hours I was originally blocked, plus a 50% premium on the flying that was before my original pairing was to start.
If the original pairing was an afternoon check-in and the new pairing is an early flight back to YYZ. I would collect premium on the whole new trip. So 10 hours pay, plus 4.5 hours premium.

There are lots of ways it can work out though. I've dropped crappy 4 day trips to get an easy 2 day trip all at premium. Less days, more money, sign me up... just depends how desperate they are.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

altiplano wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:40 pm Consumers... :roll:

lol...
Well I just got denied to rent an apartment in Toronto because I don't earn enough. So wages matter in more things than just being a "consumer".

Return to “Air Canada”