Air Canada OTS vs PML

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North of 60
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Canada OTS vs PML

Post by North of 60 »

Just wondering if anyone here has any inside knowledge about the email that was sent out last April. If you received one of the emails that "we expect to contact you in the next 12 months" and you were to go to Jazz/Sky/Georgan would you forfeit your potential phone interview? On the same note with only four months left should anyone expect to realistically receive an actual call even with internal referrals? I am sure this the million dollar question but any information would be appreciated. If you would rather PM me feel free!
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada OTS vs PML

Post by Jimmy2 »

I hope nobody PM's and just posts their thoughts here because there are a lot of people in this boat looking for answers. Here's my two cents.

The reason AC sent those emails is because those are their ideal candidates. They have flight college diploma's or university degrees for the most part. This matters a lot to AC. In the past pilots that couldn't get hired have gone and spent 4 years at a university, got a degree, and got hired almost right away. Even if they were bilingual, visible minority, whatever, the degree is what got them in.

If I had to guess why they sent their ideal candidates those emails, it's so they wouldn't get caught up in the PML system. If they go to Jazz or another feeder it could be a while until they are senior enough to get a PML interview. AC wants to interview them sooner.

So if they want them why not just interview them 8 months ago and put them in the pool? For one, their HR department is probably very busy with PML interviews. Instead of being able to pick their ideal candidates they are now forced to interview tons of people and make a judgement call on them. The second reason, is people are starting to get pissed off by the pool system and complaining. I've read of people being in the pool for 3 years on here. Pilots are getting disgruntled before they even start working there they say.

So that combination of trying to shrink the pool to a more reasonable size and the contract mandated interviews means OTS candidates have got pushed off. The 12 months mentioned in the mail is a huge time frame and means they really had no idea when they would be able to interview you. Also, it is specifically NOT an offer for an interview but more like saying 'We got your application and if we were interviewing OTS people right now we would interview you but we're not.' That's it.

Note, I have no insider knowledge and these are just my best guesses on what they are doing and why. I'd love to hear other theories.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Jimmy2 wrote: these are just my best guesses on what they are doing and why. I'd love to hear other theories.

Hahahah I have never figured out what HR at any aviation company is doing and why! This is one of the most confusing industries when it comes to hiring. I've seen some really really good guys get turned away from companies that would be lucky to have them. And I've seen some complete meat heads get on with the same companies. It's such a toss up.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

From my understanding, once you join a PML carrier you can no longer apply off the street. If you were contacted already by AC, you forfeit that route and are now part of the PML process.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

If you are in a place that makes you competitive enough for an OTS spot you are likely making a decent bit of cash. You would be giving that up to go sit behind some 300+ Express pilots senior to you, while making a lot less money.

Another thing to consider is that the PML is simply a preferred interview, not guaranteed flow. The numbers they plan to hire are also at AC's discretion. With how many pilots needed there, eventually they will open up more spots for the OTS guys and gals. AC won't sacrifice their Express schedule to fill ground schools (in my opinion)

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone but AC knows what the hiring plans are. They seem to change every Monday, just wait long enough and the benchmark will change again.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
North of 60
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by North of 60 »

Black_Tusk wrote:From my understanding, once you join a PML carrier you can no longer apply off the street. If you were contacted already by AC, you forfeit that route and are now part of the PML process.

I have heard this same info but only from on here and talking to some people, was curious if it is actually official. I guess we will have to wait and see.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

North of 60 wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:From my understanding, once you join a PML carrier you can no longer apply off the street. If you were contacted already by AC, you forfeit that route and are now part of the PML process.

I have heard this same info but only from on here and talking to some people, was curious if it is actually official. I guess we will have to wait and see.
I can say from experience, once you are at an express carrier you are now under that process, how would you approach the interview? Not tell them you switched jobs, leave your resume as if you're still at the previous employer? Grounds for dismissal if hired under that pretence.
Under the previous agreement between AC and Jazz, back in 2007 I was at Jazz for 3 days when I received an invite to interview at AC. I replied to the invite with the fact I was now employed with Jazz for three days and asked if that changed anything, I was told it did and they would now contact me in order of seniority.
There was another pilot in the same situation that talked to Jazz and delayed his employment, attended the interview and was PFOd rather quickly, surprisingly Jazz hired him again a few classes later. He may have gone over in this recent PML, who knows but point is I think his choice to essentially quit Jazz 3 days in, affected his interview at AC. Anyone who thinks they don't communicate between each other is just fooling themselves.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

North of 60 wrote:
North of 60 is correct - if you join a PML carrier ....you can no longer be considered OTS by AC.

Return to “Air Canada”