Questions about Evas Air

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions about Evas Air

Post by jane »

Hey guys.. Few questions about Evas Air..
1) How do they treat their pilots? Do they pressure them to fly overweight or in sketchy weather?
2) Are the planes taken care of or is the company known for scrounging on maintenance?
3) I hear they make you pay 15k upfront. Is that before or after ground school?
4) If it is before ground school, what are the conditions in which you can get your money back? (if you don't pass the PPC for example..?)

Any extra/inside info on the company would be awesome! :prayer: :smt040
---------- ADS -----------

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Questions about Evas Air

Post by proper »

As of last year the boys are worked very hard with little pay. Pressure to move the rig and save save wherever possible. Haven't heard much about maintenance.
That all comes from a few skippers. Staff in yqx have witnessed some unsafe practices and a few of the folks here at Jazz are uncomfortable deadheading.
A jazz deadhead crew intervened during a dep from Yhz where the boys weren't going to deice. Sadly it took a threat to properly deice. 2nd hand account mind you but from trusted people.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

That's terrible. That should never have to happen (if deice IS in fact required).

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The AC Express branding has been removed from some of the EVAS B1900's.

Not sure if that is because EVAS does some non-Express flying in its schedule. Also not sure if the aircraft belong to EVAS or AC. Read in to it what you will.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The co-pilot on that flight reported the problem, and is now no longer working with the company, which operates daily flights for Air Canada Express.

EVAS is the same airline that crash-landed a Beechcraft 1900 during blizzard conditions in Gander in April.

Three passengers on that flight went to hospital with injuries after the landing. They are involved in a class-action lawsuit against the company.

No one from EVAS was available for comment.
Pretty much says it all! I love the blunt slant of that short article.

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

rudder wrote:The AC Express branding has been removed from some of the EVAS B1900's.

Not sure if that is because EVAS does some non-Express flying in its schedule. Also not sure if the aircraft belong to EVAS or AC. Read in to it what you will.
I asked a related question in the Air Georgian thread about the B1900's. A reply stated that some of Air Georgian aircraft have had the AC Express branding removed. Would this be a move on AC part to remove the fleet from the CPA and schedule? I had read that Air New Zealand removed their B1900's last year. Times change, perhaps it's the age and economics of the aircraft.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

I thought they were going to be pumping in MORE money into upgrading the B1900 fleet, more specifically, the avionics. At least that was the word on the street last year.

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

infiniteregulus wrote:I thought they were going to be pumping in MORE money into upgrading the B1900 fleet, more specifically, the avionics. At least that was the word on the street last year.
infiniteregulus wrote:I thought they were going to be pumping in MORE money into upgrading the B1900 fleet, more specifically, the avionics. At least that was the word on the street last year.
What else you want in a 1900D? Have you seen the Dash 8 Classic fleet? Every 1900D I flew had EFIS and an autopilot.

As for EVAS, stay as far away from them as possible, a buddy of mine was a skipper there, he is thankful he survived. They flew one 1900 for a whole month around the Rock in December with no De-Ice boots. You can pick up ice in July/August somedays at altitude there. I would refuse a DH on EVAS if it were me, and I think several have.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

As also stated in the Air Georgian thread, in the back of Enroute magazine on the page that shows all the aircraft types no more 1900s.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Aren't they still using the KLN90 GPS? Seems a bit archaic to me haha

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Rumour is that CHR has made a pitch to AC to use surplus Dash 8 100's to replace some (all?) B1900 flying at AC Express.

Time will tell.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

What about the dh8 classic equipment? We have fms , able to do baro vnavs, an autopilot that can fly you to 50 feet on a cat2. I d say for a 30 years old plane we have quite decent equipment on board.
And lets not forget the fancy taws screen that comes up on the fms !!!

Oh by the way, to the evas crew that " followed the jazz dh8" into yhz tonight, glad we could help.

Cheers

Andy

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

Until now I thought the OP was cat driver...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

In a previous life and many years back, let's say this I do know the boss and owner and family very well and understand how they do things. Not that long ago I was offered a position- I declined,reminiscing of days and times past that, shall I say not the fondness of memories. That said, it's a good stepping stone for those wanting to move forward beyond 1900's.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

rudder wrote:Rumour is that CHR has made a pitch to AC to use surplus Dash 8 100's to replace some (all?) B1900 flying at AC Express.

Time will tell.
Using Voyageur ?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

dhc# wrote:
rudder wrote:Rumour is that CHR has made a pitch to AC to use surplus Dash 8 100's to replace some (all?) B1900 flying at AC Express.

Time will tell.
Using Voyageur ?
No, there are protections in our contract regarding this. There are extra Dashs that are in need of some work, those may be on Voyageur's OC but that is just a paperwork exercise.

General Brock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by General Brock »

I used to work for Evas. I wasn't there long before I realized how terrible the management was.

Return to “Air Canada”