The Ol' PFO

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The Ol' PFO

Post by groundpilot »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 am
northernpilot2 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 am I've never applied to Air Canada or Westjet. Im happy with where Im at now and plan on staying there for good. Sure if things change in the future I'll open the doors. But for now, if AC or WJ wants to hire me, they need to come find me, Im not going to them. Cheers 8)
I was once like you. Now my friends are all NB Captains and I'm a new hire.
THIS
---------- ADS -----------

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:18 am
martinez wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:26 pm I'm assuming your from Jazz with the RJ time. Is it true that AC has to take 90% of those at jazz that have the minimum experience as stated on the job posting and apply?
60% of all spots at AC will go to Jazz. 90% of eligible pilots who apply from Jazz will be hired.

The most recent gs (July 22nd) was all OTS

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Its a yearly average. As I understand Jazz wasnt going to be able to fulfill its summer sched and send over 35 people a month. You will see some all Jazz courses in the fall.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lots of experience in the latest course... military, Westjet, Sunwing, ME pilots, overseas flag carriers...

Clearly you have to take people with the experience levels they are hiring, ratios are secondary. I have no doubt overall they will try to keep it close, but don't be surprised if they fall short on 60% or whatever it is...

If AC hired at that rate they would more or less clean out Jazz in a few years with the amount they are hiring.

If you are a Jazz guy are you going to grieve it? that would label you a 10%er right there... patience and I'm sure everybody gets their shot eventually.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Hell yes Jazz MEC will grieve it. More than enough people are lifers at Jazz to get a lawsuit going.
You see the 60% / 90% thing is signed in the CA. That means, it has value and was priced in the CA. Cant respect it or won’t respect, pay up....

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

All the power to you.

What's the language exactly?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

11. Pilot Movement to Air Canada

A commitment from Air Canada with the following subjects:

a. On an annual basis, Air Canada shall offer no less than 60% of its new hire positions to Pilots on
the Pilot System Seniority List
who have applied
. This process shall be jointly monitored by the
parties on a quarterly basis and shall be adjusted as needed to meet the 60% annual offer obligation.
The parties shall meet and discuss unforeseen issues that could impact operations.

b. The hiring process for employment at Air Canada shall be in order of seniority from the group of
Pilots that have applied.

c. All Pilots meeting Air Canada’s basic requirements specified in pilot position profile 18853 (as
amended and superseded from time to time) shall be qualified candidates

d. Air Canada retains its right of selection in making offers during the hiring process. Without
prejudice to the 60% annual offer obligation, the parties recognize that not all candidates will be
successful but at no time will Air Canada exceed an annual turndown rate of greater than 10% of
qualified candidates
(as defined in paragraph 11.c above) in exercising its right of refusal. The
parties and Air Canada shall meet to discuss any ongoing issues with the turndown rate.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

FL-280 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm The parties shall meet and discuss unforeseen issues that could impact operations.
Sounds like the CARS duty regs. There's always a loophole to get out of them.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Victory wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:13 pm
FL-280 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:15 pm The parties shall meet and discuss unforeseen issues that could impact operations.
Or, you know... the grounding of the 737 Max and by association the delay of GGN pilots flowing to Jazz.

Nothing is ever as black and white as we all like, that being said looking at the new hire bios since this new agreement took effect, AC has been more than generous with offers to Jazz pilots. A large majority of the new hires since April have been from Jazz, with only a small slow down right now. Expect to see it pick back up with aggression in the fall.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 pm
Or, you know... the grounding of the 737 Max and by association the delay of GGN pilots flowing to Jazz.

Nothing is ever as black and white as we all like, that being said looking at the new hire bios since this new agreement took effect, AC has been more than generous with offers to Jazz pilots. A large majority of the new hires since April have been from Jazz, with only a small slow down right now. Expect to see it pick back up with aggression in the fall.
No I meant it literally sounds like something the CARS would say. Though in hindsight yes, the new duty regs would make it hard for Jazz to lose a ton of pilots right now. :lol:

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Victory wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:40 am
Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 pm

No I meant it literally sounds like something the CARS would say. Though in hindsight yes, the new duty regs would make it hard for Jazz to lose a ton of pilots right now. :lol:

Hahaha... oooooooohhhhh.

Right. I agree.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:48 am Yes post secondary aviation diploma. Total time 3500hrs. English only.
It is totally a mystery and I don't take it personally. I know my worth. I don't feel dumber or smarter than a current AC pilot. It is 99% timing.

Got the PFO a few days ago. College Diploma. 1000 hrs RJ PIC. Clean flight tests record. Had many training Captains as my references.
Interview I thought went amazing. Very confused with the results. I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.

I have thick skin so it doesn't affect me.
Not sure who youre trying to convince youre unaffected by this, us, or yourself? But thats some contradiction going on there.
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 am Why would you call yourself dashtrash ? I respect the aircraft I fly and would never give it such a name. If you can do that to your own aircraft it is clear you don't even respect others.
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:47 amI have thick skin
No, you dont. If youre going to lose it over that, I cant imagine what will happen when you discover Le Bus known as "Christine", how disrespectful of a nick name for a beautifully built French airplane.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

Oh boy.

You’re really showing your true colours !

Captain Kirkk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain Kirkk »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm Got the PFO a few days ago. College Diploma. 1000 hrs RJ PIC. Clean flight tests record. Had many training Captains as my references. Interview I thought went amazing. Very confused with the results. I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
Did you get PFO’d cause you lied about your PIC time, or cause you were cocky during the interview ?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Captain Kirkk wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:14 am
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:44 pm Got the PFO a few days ago. College Diploma. 1000 hrs RJ PIC. Clean flight tests record. Had many training Captains as my references. Interview I thought went amazing. Very confused with the results. I’m upset to see that the groundschool I was supposed to be in was mostly OTS and next ones will GGN.
Did you get PFO’d cause you lied about your PIC time, or cause you were cocky during the interview ?
If it wasn't picked up in the interview, I'm sure the psych evaluation easily picked out his over-inflated self worth and oozing bullshit...

3500 hours is pretty low time too.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

Had an FO years ago that was proud that he'd never flown a Turbo-prop.

Navajo to the "jet RJ" of the time (mid-90's). He was cocky as a rooster. Never learned. Neither Canadian, not AC ever touched the guy. Still at Jazz as far as I know. Likely an RJ skipper.

Some need to learn a little humility, while it comes naturally to others. It's a requirement for the job.

DP.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

No matter what one's level of education is, or languages they speak, or hours of flying they have, it is about simply getting along with others. You must know things, and obviously there are all levels of ability in anything, and some think they can do it all alone. They are wrong. But sometimes they do figure it out. You cannot give up.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

How long does it take to get the PFO after the interview?

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

tsgarp wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am How long does it take to get the PFO after the interview?
It was 4 months for me to get the PFO. The email was gently worded. It was more of not now, but maybe later.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 pm
tsgarp wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am How long does it take to get the PFO after the interview?
It was 4 months for me to get the PFO. The email was gently worded. It was more of not now, but maybe later.
4 months??!!! :shock: :shock:

Return to “Air Canada”