The Ol' PFO

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Ol' PFO

Post by sdotz »

skyhighh wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:29 pm
CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:27 pm
tsgarp wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:53 am How long does it take to get the PFO after the interview?
It was 4 months for me to get the PFO. The email was gently worded. It was more of not now, but maybe later.
4 months??!!! :shock: :shock:
4 months for a PFO, that's harsh. Is that the norm? I was under the assumption that a PFO letter would be given very quickly, within the 6-8 weeks window that big red says, basically when the hiring board meet up.
---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

It's probably the Jazz deal that's making things difficult for them. They have to be sure they are meeting quotas. They can't just turn people away quickly anymore since they might need them if no one better comes along.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Here’s an idea for AC. Forget about even bothering with interviewing JAZZ guys/gals. If they were good enough to get hired by JAZZ and fly AC passengers around for at least 2+ years then why the hell should they even need to be interviewed again by the mother ship. Jazz has the same medical, Psyc evaluation etc that AC does. Prospective Jazz pilots even have the extra step of a sim eval, while AC doesn’t even give sim Evals.
Encore pilots don’t have to re-interview with mainline when their number is up-they just go on the 737 course. Many US CPA carriers also have guaranteed flow-no additional interview required.
It’s like AC is saying to Jazz pilots - you are good enough to fly our passengers around as an RJ captain but not good enough to start with us as a relief pilot? WTF
If they are really so concerned about the product Jazz is hiring then put someone from mainline HR on the Jazz interview panel.

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

hithere wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:11 am Here’s an idea for AC. Forget about even bothering with interviewing JAZZ guys/gals. If they were good enough to get hired by JAZZ and fly AC passengers around for at least 2+ years then why the hell should they even need to be interviewed again by the mother ship. Jazz has the same medical, Psyc evaluation etc that AC does. Prospective Jazz pilots even have the extra step of a sim eval, while AC doesn’t even give sim Evals.
Encore pilots don’t have to re-interview with mainline when their number is up-they just go on the 737 course. Many US CPA carriers also have guaranteed flow-no additional interview required.
It’s like AC is saying to Jazz pilots - you are good enough to fly our passengers around as an RJ captain but not good enough to start with us as a relief pilot? WTF
If they are really so concerned about the product Jazz is hiring then put someone from mainline HR on the Jazz interview panel.
Hopefully with the way the industry is going, mainline will follow that mantra. The other plus is that it keeps guys at express brand for a guaranteed time, more ass in seat right?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

The PFO rate from Jazz to AC used to be upwards of 40%. You up and comers should be happy it’s only 10% now.

Let’s Go Brandon
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

hithere wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:11 am Here’s an idea for AC. Forget about even bothering with interviewing JAZZ guys/gals. If they were good enough to get hired by JAZZ and fly AC passengers around for at least 2+ years then why the hell should they even need to be interviewed again by the mother ship. Jazz has the same medical, Psyc evaluation etc that AC does. Prospective Jazz pilots even have the extra step of a sim eval, while AC doesn’t even give sim Evals.
Which US regionals are providing guaranteed flow to a mainline carrier without interview or conditions?

Also of note there aren't any US regionals hiring 250 hour pilots, they aren't even hiring pilots without an ATPL...

AC has different hiring methods and practises than Jazz because they are a different company.

If you prefer the Encore/Westjet model, I'm sure they're interviewing...

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

There's some annoying people at Jazz I'd rather not fly with. You've probably seen them too, on YouTube, or walking through the terminal with orange socks and their tunic open. They seem to be doing a good job keeping these people out until they can mature.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

M. Youtube is starting at AC on The next groundschool.... what a delight

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

altiplano wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:42 pm
Which US regionals are providing guaranteed flow to a mainline carrier without interview or conditions?

Also of note there aren't any US regionals hiring 250 hour pilots, they aren't even hiring pilots without an ATPL...

AC has different hiring methods and practises than Jazz because they are a different company.

Envoy for example. Direct flow without interview to American.

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

sdotz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Envoy for example. Direct flow without interview to American.
Except...
8F48E1E3-3331-4689-A6B7-C7028F986CAC.jpeg
8F48E1E3-3331-4689-A6B7-C7028F986CAC.jpeg (232.32 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
So similar to the WestJet/Encore scenario. Not AC/Jazz.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

As per the new 17 year CPA, AC has a 10% equity stake in JAZZ and has a sitting member on the JAZZ/Chorus Board of directors. So it’s a pretty tight relationship. Besides even when AC wholly owned Jazz, they still found a way to PFO significant numbers

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Is it not enough that now you can literally buy your way in to Jazz ... and that AC can only reject 10% of PML flow ... now we have losers asking for 100% no questions asked, Jazz to AC flow. Geeez ...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

FL-280 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:33 pm M. Youtube is starting at AC on The next groundschool.... what a delight
Psych test isn't what it used to be - or can you buy your way around that too ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Not entirely true as the US regionals will routinely pay for the mandatory ATP/CTP course to get your atpl if you get accepted. You still need the time requirements true.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

Dry Guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm There's some annoying people at Jazz I'd rather not fly with. You've probably seen them too, on YouTube, or walking through the terminal with orange socks and their tunic open. They seem to be doing a good job keeping these people out until they can mature.
Never ceases to amaze me how much self-awareness some people lack. Then there’s the ones that think they’re too pretty to wear the hat.

ACboi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ACboi »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 pm
Dry Guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm There's some annoying people at Jazz I'd rather not fly with. You've probably seen them too, on YouTube, or walking through the terminal with orange socks and their tunic open. They seem to be doing a good job keeping these people out until they can mature.
Never ceases to amaze me how much self-awareness some people lack. Then there’s the ones that think they’re too pretty to wear the hat.
Some days I have a great hair day and I don't want to mess it up. Having great hair is part of the image.

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

OK Jazz PML'ers, listen up, I can give you some really great tips on how to screw this up based on real life scenarios. With the requirement to hire the vast majority of you, the bar is really high and it is a real challenge not to get hired, but it can be done.

Part of the problem is that you really are not in competition with the OTS candidates....the ones with previous transport category jet time, the military pilots, the ones with many thousands of hours in the left seat of a multi crew turbine and a university degree. The ones that have spent a decade making life sacrifices doing difficult jobs for little pay, with an amazing work ethic and without a sense of entitlement. If you had to compete with those guys and gals, you wouldn't have to worry, you wouldn't even get an interview. But now you have one, here are some proven ways to ensure you get the good ol' PFO pronto.

Show up for the interview in jeans.
Tell the Doc if he were any good he would be doing "real medicine."
While on the subject of Docs, indulge in a little of Canada's favorite recreational agricultural product. Alternatively, smoke 2 packs a day.
Show up late.
Tell the interviewer who worked up north for 10 years before they got hired, and then spent another 10 years side seat in a 727, that since you learned to fly in 2012 you have been screwed over by the industry.
Make a wise ass crack about the age of our flight attendants.
Pad your logbook. This is a good one because even if you have the misfortune of getting hired, you can be fired later if anyone finds out. A second chance so to speak.
If you have failed a ride, don't try and explain anything you learned from the experience.(You probably didn't anyway, right.) Blame the instructor, check pilot, or your sim partner.
On a similar vein, when describing a conflict, remember it is all the Captains fault - if he/she wasn't so demanding you would have got along fine.

So there you go, it can be done as demonstrated by the above examples. Good luck with the PFO, Staples has frames that fit them nicely.

sportingrifle

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How long does it take to get a job offer or pfo these days

Mike1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mike1985 »

Job offer - 4 months.
PFO - anywhere between 1 week to 4 months.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Few guys I know waited 6-8 months for offers. PFO’s generally come within 6 months.

I’d agree that no news isn’t really good news. I’d say no news is no news.

Return to “Air Canada”