The Ol' PFO

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ACboi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Ol' PFO

Post by ACboi »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 pm
Dry Guy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm There's some annoying people at Jazz I'd rather not fly with. You've probably seen them too, on YouTube, or walking through the terminal with orange socks and their tunic open. They seem to be doing a good job keeping these people out until they can mature.
Never ceases to amaze me how much self-awareness some people lack. Then there’s the ones that think they’re too pretty to wear the hat.
Some days I have a great hair day and I don't want to mess it up. Having great hair is part of the image.
---------- ADS -----------

sportingrifle
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sportingrifle »

OK Jazz PML'ers, listen up, I can give you some really great tips on how to screw this up based on real life scenarios. With the requirement to hire the vast majority of you, the bar is really high and it is a real challenge not to get hired, but it can be done.

Part of the problem is that you really are not in competition with the OTS candidates....the ones with previous transport category jet time, the military pilots, the ones with many thousands of hours in the left seat of a multi crew turbine and a university degree. The ones that have spent a decade making life sacrifices doing difficult jobs for little pay, with an amazing work ethic and without a sense of entitlement. If you had to compete with those guys and gals, you wouldn't have to worry, you wouldn't even get an interview. But now you have one, here are some proven ways to ensure you get the good ol' PFO pronto.

Show up for the interview in jeans.
Tell the Doc if he were any good he would be doing "real medicine."
While on the subject of Docs, indulge in a little of Canada's favorite recreational agricultural product. Alternatively, smoke 2 packs a day.
Show up late.
Tell the interviewer who worked up north for 10 years before they got hired, and then spent another 10 years side seat in a 727, that since you learned to fly in 2012 you have been screwed over by the industry.
Make a wise ass crack about the age of our flight attendants.
Pad your logbook. This is a good one because even if you have the misfortune of getting hired, you can be fired later if anyone finds out. A second chance so to speak.
If you have failed a ride, don't try and explain anything you learned from the experience.(You probably didn't anyway, right.) Blame the instructor, check pilot, or your sim partner.
On a similar vein, when describing a conflict, remember it is all the Captains fault - if he/she wasn't so demanding you would have got along fine.

So there you go, it can be done as demonstrated by the above examples. Good luck with the PFO, Staples has frames that fit them nicely.

sportingrifle

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

How long does it take to get a job offer or pfo these days

Mike1985
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mike1985 »

Job offer - 4 months.
PFO - anywhere between 1 week to 4 months.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Few guys I know waited 6-8 months for offers. PFO’s generally come within 6 months.

I’d agree that no news isn’t really good news. I’d say no news is no news.

powerbrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by powerbrian »

Does it make a difference if references were called? Or are you still equally eligible for an offer/PFO and on the same timeline?

itsairborne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by itsairborne »

powerbrian wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:37 am Does it make a difference if references were called? Or are you still equally eligible for an offer/PFO and on the same timeline?
Been waiting 6 months. References were called not long after the interview.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

I'm sorry that has happened to you. I can't imagine how it feels. Hopefully it gets easier as time goes by. More than a few weeks is completely inhumane.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I overheard a rumor that for express candidates if references were called it usually means a job offer is coming in the next few weeks.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Big focus on how you score on the interview questions.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

So let's say you get a pfo after waiting 4 months. Will that mean the 6 month minimum waiting period to get another interview starts then or started back from your last interview?

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

Malfunction wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:43 am So let's say you get a pfo after waiting 4 months. Will that mean the 6 month minimum waiting period to get another interview starts then or started back from your last interview?
According to the PFO its the the date of the interview, so you would have to wait 2 more months for the re-application.

"Please be advised that Air Canada does not provide an explanation or feedback for hiring decisions. Applicants are welcome to re-apply six (6) months following the date of interview. We encourage you to keep your online application up-to-date and ensure all professional and contact information is current."

eyestotheskies
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eyestotheskies »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am I overheard a rumor that for express candidates if references were called it usually means a job offer is coming in the next few weeks.

Have you heard back yet? I’ve been waiting over 4 months and they called my references two weeks ago.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

eyestotheskies wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:30 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:04 am I overheard a rumor that for express candidates if references were called it usually means a job offer is coming in the next few weeks.

Have you heard back yet? I’ve been waiting over 4 months and they called my references two weeks ago.
I know guys waiting since July/august... No news at all except a “your file is being processed please be patient”. I can’t imagine how that limbo must feel like.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

eyestotheskies wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:30 am

Same here. I was hoping for a call this week but didn't get it.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

In the pfo do they tell you to wait 6 months to re apply or is that just common knowledge now?

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 am In the pfo do they tell you to wait 6 months to re apply or is that just common knowledge now?
If you look at the posts above, PFO letter content is posted. In the PFO letter it says 6 months from the date of your INTERVIEW.

Return to “Air Canada”