Reference Checks

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Flight_Deck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reference Checks

Post by Flight_Deck »

I have a question that I think I know the answer to but want some clarification for piece of mind. I have a great flying job but over the last day have recently updated my AC application as I'm interested in leaving my options open for obvious reasons. My current employer will not find out I have applied online, correct? Also, in my opinion, a current employer is not a desirable reference in the fact that if one does not get the job, they still think they are trying to leave. That makes for a very awkward work environment!

I understand through reading other posts, that Air Canada does not check references until after the interview has taken place around the time of the medical?

If some other pilots can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

smnoi
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Reference Checks

Post by smnoi »

Yes they only check the references after the interview. Right now, guys don't do their medical until a couple months before their hiring. I know guys who are still in the original pool and their interview date was over 3 years ago so keep in mind that it could take a while for the entire process

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I think there's nothing wrong with telling your current employer you are interested in Air Canada, they would appreciate the honesty. You can explain that they are the only ones you've applied to, not that you're applying Hail Mary everywhere to get out asap. As long as you're not one of those guys trying to jump ship 3 weeks after the PPC... Would be employers will appreciate that you're honest with your current boss.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

sstaurus wrote:I think there's nothing wrong with telling your current employer you are interested in Air Canada, they would appreciate the honesty. You can explain that they are the only ones you've applied to, not that you're applying Hail Mary everywhere to get out asap. As long as you're not one of those guys trying to jump ship 3 weeks after the PPC... Would be employers will appreciate that you're honest with your current boss.
Depends on the employer. Last time I tried to be honest with an employer about my future intentions, he suddenly had to lay someone off the next week and that was conviently me. All depends on the relationship you have with the operator and how much Crown Royal and Coke they can consume in one sitting...

-Jimmy

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

sstaurus wrote:I think there's nothing wrong with telling your current employer you are interested in Air Canada, they would appreciate the honesty. You can explain that they are the only ones you've applied to, not that you're applying Hail Mary everywhere to get out asap. As long as you're not one of those guys trying to jump ship 3 weeks after the PPC... Would be employers will appreciate that you're honest with your current boss.
I've always been upfront with my employers - never had any issues. I have letters of reference from everyone I've worked for.

In one case my Boss wrote a 2 page letter of reference for me to take with me - without me asking for it!

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Teamflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teamflyer »

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business

I like that "Aphorism".

General Brock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by General Brock »

I was in the same situation. Our employer asked us for heads up if we were applying to the airlines. All 5 people who said they were applying all got laid off.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I couldn't care less what outfit you work at. You NEVER tell your current employer that you're even thinking of leaving. I've seen countless friends let go for trying to "give a heads up". Granted, I'm sure there's some genuine operators out there, but from my experience, you're better off keeping your mouth shut.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

infiniteregulus wrote:I couldn't care less what outfit you work at. You NEVER tell your current employer that you're even thinking of leaving. I've seen countless friends let go for trying to "give a heads up". Granted, I'm sure there's some genuine operators out there, but from my experience, you're better off keeping your mouth shut.
Hey people looking to move up in the world, don't listen to this guy. Yes, there are some shitty companies out there who will take your career advancement goals personally but they're not all like that. Wherever you are, just evaluate accordingly rather than taking an anonymous internet cynic for his word.

With the movement we're seeing right now, I'm sure your chief pilot would prefer to know in advance how hard they should be looking for replacements. If you're worth hiring elsewhere, you're probably badly needed where you presently are too so you'd have to be in a pretty awful place to get turfed just for looking at greener pastures. Try and show some courtesy.

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 705dreamer »

infiniteregulus wrote:I couldn't care less what outfit you work at. You NEVER tell your current employer that you're even thinking of leaving. I've seen countless friends let go for trying to "give a heads up". Granted, I'm sure there's some genuine operators out there, but from my experience, you're better off keeping your mouth shut.

I greatly disagree with you. I think you need to evaluate your situation before and then decide. I had nothing but respect for the 703 operator I was working for and when I got the call to move to the airlines I let them know and gave them references for replacements for my position. The professionalism was very appreciated and came with an invitation to come back any time I may be in a pinch and need a job. I wanted to make sure no bridges were burned and that should be the number one thing to worry about. It is a small industry out there, don't forget that.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

As do I. At my former employer, everyone including myself who went on to go to a regional gave plenty of heads up to the boss. He knew months ahead what our plans were and knew when we started sending out applications. When the day came that I gave noticed he shook my hand, thanked me for the time I spent there and wished me the best.

Not all 703 operators are scum.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

OP, a question you may get at the interview is "Does your current employer know you are here today?" I'd do what you can to make the answer to that question a yes.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Guess I've had the unfortunate luck of working at a few shitty outfits in my day haha

Return to “Air Canada”