Dress Code

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

1970's aviator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Dress Code

Post by 1970's aviator »

Yes, I was an employee of AC, now retired. Yes, we had in those days a dress code that was way more stringent than what is expected from the company now a days but what I do see more than I would like to notice, is a substantial degradation of what is worn vs what should be worn.
If the front line employees deem that you and/or yours are not respecting the posted dress code when travelling on a pass, more power to them for refusing you passage as that is part of their job and responsibility and I applaud them for doing so. There are far to many employees who seem to believe that they own the airline and so, can get away with just bout anything short of murder. I for one in my many travels have seem far to many abuses of the dress code policy, the most recent one being a F/A on a pass seated in business class on an overseas flight proceeding to strip down to a sports bra for running and a very tattered and worn pair of cutoff jeans and then sprawl in her seat. She had AC written all over her, including the luggage. The I/C even came over to greet her and said nothing about the attire. What did the full house in business class think of that when they are paying big bucks for the ride. And that is but one instance. You want examples, just look around you, cons, more than not stick out like sore thums on an airplane.
Pass travel is a PRIVILIGE, not a God given right. The company makes the rules as it is their sand lot and their marbles. If you do not wish to abide by those rules, buy yourself a full fare ticket et better still, use an other means to get to where you are going.

Edited for typos
---------- ADS -----------

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

Why should there be a business-casual dress code if the flying public can wear a t-shirt and jeans? Should the whole point of employee travel not be to have people BLEND IN?! You're going to look very odd flying down to the Caribbean wearing a pair of slacks and a dress shirt when everyone else is in polo's and shorts. While I can understand not allowing people to fly down on passes when their dressed excessively sloppy, I think as long as you are dressed comfortably and your clothing is clean/modest one should be good to go.

Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

BeechjetYKZ wrote:Why should there be a business-casual dress code if the flying public can wear a t-shirt and jeans? Should the whole point of employee travel not be to have people BLEND IN?! You're going to look very odd flying down to the Caribbean wearing a pair of slacks and a dress shirt when everyone else is in polo's and shorts. While I can understand not allowing people to fly down on passes when their dressed excessively sloppy, I think as long as you are dressed comfortably and your clothing is clean/modest one should be good to go.
You could do Polo and Khakis.

Do you have a problem with that?

aerosexual
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aerosexual »

It should be airline and route appropriate, with certain restrictions. No open shoes for example. If one is flying to Varadero, it is silly to expect an employee to be dressed in business casual. I agree that being clean, presentable, with certain restrictions and to blend in is the way to go.

If you are a con on AC, I agree that business casual should be required if a seat in business class is to be available. Again, it's about being clean, presentable, and blending in.

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

altiplano wrote:
BeechjetYKZ wrote:Why should there be a business-casual dress code if the flying public can wear a t-shirt and jeans? Should the whole point of employee travel not be to have people BLEND IN?! You're going to look very odd flying down to the Caribbean wearing a pair of slacks and a dress shirt when everyone else is in polo's and shorts. While I can understand not allowing people to fly down on passes when their dressed excessively sloppy, I think as long as you are dressed comfortably and your clothing is clean/modest one should be good to go.
You could do Polo and Khakis.

Do you have a problem with that?
No, I don't have a problem with it. The point I was trying to make was that I feel it is more important for pass-holders to blend in with the rest of the passengers. Once again, clean clothing that's modest (no tank-tops, exposed midriffs, or inappropriate graphics on one's shirt) should be the way to go. If you wouldn't let your grandmother see you wearing it, it's not fit to fly in. :lol:

Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I hear you, but I disagree.

This isn't gym class or the beach bar.

Dress like you are trying to make s good impression.

It shows respect to the crew, the travel privilege, fellow passengers, and yourself. I wish everyone in the plane would dress like that. Cons should set the standard for the general public to aspire to.

Return to “Air Canada”