What do you think of the new uniforms?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What do you think of the new uniforms?

Post by Bede »

Looks like the pants were designed by the Hutterites. No back pocket because the back pocket is where the devil grabs you to pull you into hell.
---------- ADS -----------

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

I find it fits really nicely, although I am not a big lover of the fake back pockets. I'm 5'8" slim build......I can see it being a bit awkward for the "big boned" guys. :lol:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Dockjock wrote:Khakis and a golf shirt? Buddy go work at Best Buy. I'm surprised for the suit hate. I like the tradition and take a lot of pride in the uniform. You guys want to wear golf shirts and probably carry a backpack around because it's comfortable. SMDH
What's wrong with being comfortable at work? I already don't wear the company supplied shirts because they suck. If I'm in it all day, I want to be comfortable and look professional. The supplied uniform items do not do that without extreme modifications. I'm not talking khakis and a golf shit.. don't know where you got that from.

Enough about the "history and pride of the uniform." It's a job... and people want to be comfortable while at work. Times are changing.. I can count on one hand the amount of under 40's that I see wear the tunic on a regular basis. Heck even the older guys leave it at home. If they would have done a true modernization of the uniform like they said they were, we'd have a bomber jacket as an option, a two button single breasted jacket and the hat would be gone.

We don't fly boats for Pan Am anymore.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

livinlife wrote:I find it fits really nicely, although I am not a big lover of the fake back pockets. I'm 5'8" slim build......I can see it being a bit awkward for the "big boned" guys. :lol:
It seems like the uni was made for someone of your build. Which is great for you, just sucks for some of us... :(

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Dockjock wrote:Khakis and a golf shirt? Buddy go work at Best Buy. I'm surprised for the suit hate. I like the tradition and take a lot of pride in the uniform. You guys want to wear golf shirts and probably carry a backpack around because it's comfortable. SMDH

"Buddy" you need to get a life. It is just flying a bus around the sky. Some responsibility to do it right and be safe but there is nothing in this job requiring a suit. I have been flying for 33 years. Never needed a suit and tie to make me "professional" enough to do the job. It looks terrible, uncomfortable as shit. I would like to be comfy at work. I can be way more professional that way. I have to wear it to cause the company says so. Don't have to like it.

Buddy you wanna wear a suit go work at a law firm.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How many airlines all over the world are there that do not have their crews wear a uniform?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Cat Driver wrote:How many airlines all over the world are there that do not have their crews wear a uniform?

Don't really care how many. Like I said above Cat, 70 years of tradition unencumbered by progress.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

70 years of tradition unencumbered by progress.
What would you consider progress?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Skyhunter super WOKE on the need to wear a suit to fly an airliner! Really opened my eyes. Need to be "comfy" like when you get home from 3rd grade and change into your play clothes. Holy hell. It's pants and a shirt and tie, and jacket. "BOMBER JACKET" what are you, 8 years old? Those look ridiculous on airline crews. Cat could pull one off in his PBY, not you in an airbus.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

No back pockets in the pants and no outside pockets in the tunic. It's like the clothes actors wear on stage, it's for looks not function. Our uniform has become a costume

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I'm pretty sure bomberjackets were designed for bomber crews. Which airforce has 8 year doing that? If you don't get that what your wearing for 10-15 hours a days at work needs to be comfortable then you need to do a little research into fatigue.

Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Sage »

av8ts wrote:No back pockets in the pants and no outside pockets in the tunic. It's like the clothes actors wear on stage, it's for looks not function. Our uniform has become a costume
There are outside pockets on the tunic. Like any other blazer or suit jacket, you will have to cut the thread that closes the pocket. Also, don't forget to cut the thread that's holding the back vents closed. Sheesh! Can't believe I'm giving a lesson on suit jackets to a grown up. :roll:

Also, this is a major airline not bush company. Dress like a professional. If you want to be treated like a bus driver then go ahead and dress like one. I thought we were better than this. Bus driver...Sheesh. You're in the wrong part of the industry.

Scope. Not just a mouthwash.
flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Sage wrote:
av8ts wrote:No back pockets in the pants and no outside pockets in the tunic. It's like the clothes actors wear on stage, it's for looks not function. Our uniform has become a costume
There are outside pockets on the tunic. Like any other blazer or suit jacket, you will have to cut the thread that closes the pocket. Also, don't forget to cut the thread that's holding the back vents closed. Sheesh! Can't believe I'm giving a lesson on suit jackets to a grown up. :roll:

Also, this is a major airline not bush company. Dress like a professional. If you want to be treated like a bus driver then go ahead and dress like one. I thought we were better than this. Bus driver...Sheesh. You're in the wrong part of the industry.

+1

RATO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RATO »

Maybe I'm a tad crusty after a 3 day, but IMHO if you all take pride in the professional image that the uniform contributes to, shave your face before you head out the door......

FAF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FAF »

That's it, I'm showing up to work in yoga pants, a wife beater and an AC pin. And screw being clean cut, mullets all the way.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

RATO wrote:Maybe I'm a tad crusty after a 3 day, but IMHO if you all take pride in the professional image that the uniform contributes to, shave your face before you head out the door......
I have a neatly combed beard that I've had nothing but complements with, my neck is shaved and it's tidy. What's wrong with that?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

ZBBYLW wrote:
RATO wrote:Maybe I'm a tad crusty after a 3 day, but IMHO if you all take pride in the professional image that the uniform contributes to, shave your face before you head out the door......
I have a neatly combed beard that I've had nothing but complements with, my neck is shaved and it's tidy. What's wrong with that?
Nothing. Airlines all over the world have allowed beards for years. It's about time Canada caught up.

RATO is likely just old fashioned and doesn't like change.

Everyone needs to remember.. the only reason we wear what we wear is thanks to airlines in the early/mid 1900's wanting their pilots to resemble naval officers.

in-the-air
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by in-the-air »

Anyone tried the hat ? your thoughts?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Hearing lots of complaints about the Russian general hats. However my new hat is just a little bigger than my old one. Very little difference.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

av8ts wrote:Hearing lots of complaints about the Russian general hats. However my new hat is just a little bigger than my old one. Very little difference.
Do you get the full jackets worth of medals as well? Or, is that only with the larger North Korean hat package?

Return to “Air Canada”