737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
avcraig
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#1 Post by avcraig » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello,

I just recently saw a picture of the first AC 737 MAX parked outside with the rudder part of the vertical stab painted in the Air Canada Livery. After researching online I still see no confirmed or even estimated date of the delivery flight. All I see everywhere is "October 2017". Well we are now half way through October and I still haven't heard a thing so I have 3 questions that any of you smart fellas may or may not be able to answer:

1. Date of first delivery?

2. Which base(I believe it would be YYZ) will the first MAX be delivered to?

3. Will AC do a "Celebration Hangar Event"(not sure what the real name is) like how they did in YYZ the very day that the 787 was delivered?

Thanks everyone.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
ToolShed
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 am
Location: LINNG

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#2 Post by ToolShed » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.
---------- ADS -----------

avcraig
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#3 Post by avcraig » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 pm

ToolShed wrote:Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.
Oh wow, I really hope that is just what you said it is...a rumor.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#4 Post by HansDietrich » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 pm

avcraig wrote:
ToolShed wrote:Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.
Oh wow, I really hope that is just what you said it is...a rumor.
Not that I'm a fan of Bombardier (the way it's managed, nothing against the hard working "regular" folk even the airplanes), but after what Boeing did, I think no Canadian Airline should buy any Boeing products. We should go back to Airbus... A350s A330 NEO and A32X NEO. Westjet should also order Airbus...

Yes, I like Airbus. I'm European, why wouldn't I want it?
---------- ADS -----------
Das ist mir wurst...

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2647
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#5 Post by altiplano » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:22 pm

As recent as last week they were still growing the 737 seats on the equipment bid.

They have 2 sims in the building doing double shift on training with a whole bunch of guys already trained and a whole bunch, including new hires on course, they have announced routes (yyz-snn, yul-dub), they have sent employees to Seattle to fly home with the first fin...

I know the Airbus fans are still hopeful, and I don't doubt there will be future Airbus 321 neo LR orders (rouge), but the 737max is coming to AC...
---------- ADS -----------

avcraig
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#6 Post by avcraig » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:29 pm

altiplano wrote:As recent as last week they were still growing the 737 seats on the equipment bid.

They have 2 sims in the building doing double shift on training with a whole bunch of guys already trained and a whole bunch, including new hires on course, they have announced routes (yyz-snn, yul-dub), they have sent employees to Seattle to fly home with the first fin...

I know the Airbus fans are still hopeful, and I don't doubt there will be future Airbus 321 neo LR orders (rouge), but the 737max is coming to AC...
I see, thanks for the info. Let's hope for a close delivery date. I'm getting ready to see this thing in real life.
---------- ADS -----------

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#7 Post by Ah_yeah » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:59 am

AC could still cancel options and decline purchase rights to achieve some political and patriotic support. It might even fall into the business plan. I agree with alti, we are in way too deep to cancel and swap now. Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#8 Post by rudder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:06 am

Ah_yeah wrote:AC could still cancel options and decline purchase rights to achieve some political and patriotic support. It might even fall into the business plan. I agree with alti, we are in way too deep to cancel and swap now. Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.
AC bought the MAX for the same reason that it bought the c-series......Boeing made AC an offer it could not refuse. The NEO is a better plane in its class but Boeing sharpened its price pencil AND agreed to take 20 190's off of AC's hands. Having said that, I suspect that Boeing assumed that AC would convert some or all of the MAX options. With the c-series order that followed, it is unlikely that AC will convert any of the MAX options. AC has also decided to convert firm MAX 9 deliveries to MAX 8.

And now AC has a chance to see if Airbus wants back in the game by looking at 321NEO's, A330NEO's, and A350's as possible fleet replacements at Rouge.

AC/CR has done a masterful job pitting the manufacturers against each other in order to attain best terms.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Bede
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:52 am
Contact:

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#9 Post by Bede » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 am

Ah_yeah wrote:Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.
Why? Sorry I know almost nothing about Airbus.
I know little about the 320 other than it's bigger, burns more fuel, performs worse, but has a nicer front end than the 737. As for the Neo/Max, I have no idea if the previous advantageous are still there.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#10 Post by rudder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 am

Bede wrote: Why? Sorry I know almost nothing about Airbus.
I know little about the 320 other than it's bigger, burns more fuel, performs worse, but has a nicer front end than the 737. As for the Neo/Max, I have no idea if the previous advantageous are still there.
321NEO 6000lbs/hr in cruise. Can carry 200 pax. Cabin is taller and wider than the 737. 6+ hour range. In many respects, it is a 757 that burns 25% less fuel.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#11 Post by fish4life » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:01 pm

I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#12 Post by rudder » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm

fish4life wrote:I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.
With the BBD/Airbus C-series and the 320/321NEO product line now formally integrated from a sales and marketing perspective, Airbus can offer 110-210 seats using the worlds most efficient aircraft.

Meanwhile, Boeing is trying to sell yet another version of a 50 year old product......

I think Airbus is about to feed Boeing its lunch in the narrowbody passenger jet market.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#13 Post by fish4life » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am

rudder wrote:
fish4life wrote:I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.
With the BBD/Airbus C-series and the 320/321NEO product line now formally integrated from a sales and marketing perspective, Airbus can offer 110-210 seats using the worlds most efficient aircraft.

Meanwhile, Boeing is trying to sell yet another version of a 50 year old product......

I think Airbus is about to feed Boeing its lunch in the narrowbody passenger jet market.
A lot happened yesterday, I agree now with the C-series acquisition Airbus is in a good place and it will be interesting for Boeing. It would make even more sense now to stretch to a CS500 as that would cover the bottom of the 320 line that isn't efficient, while focusing the 320/321 NEO. Who knows maybe the economics of a CS500 may even be better than a 320NEO. Boeing better get on the redesign train at hyper speed, the one thing they do have going for them is the CS and 320 have nothing in common as far as common type so a company that needs CS300 and A320 size airplanes as a mixed fleet will probably just go with the 37.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
HansDietrich
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:33 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#14 Post by HansDietrich » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

fish4life wrote:...CS and 320 have nothing in common as far as common type so a company that needs CS300 and A320 size airplanes as a mixed fleet will probably just go with the 37.
That shouldn't be that big of an issue. Look at the Dash 8-100/300 and the Q400. They are "sold" as a common type rating, but they're not really the same aircraft. Jazz certainly does not view the two as a "common type"
---------- ADS -----------
Das ist mir wurst...

fish4life
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1420
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#15 Post by fish4life » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Lots of parts are the same though, along with Maint training and I believe it’s even just trained as a differences at jazz as far as line in doc goes.

Another big factor will be if BBD can get the production costs down to compete with the 37. I saw something about united getting the last 37 order for 25 mill/ plane. If a CS500 is going to be double that on the conservative side at 50 million it doesn’t make sense with the price of fuel. With a 5% cost of borrowing (which is low for airlines) on that 25 mill difference a company could fly a 37 around burning 1000lbs/hr more (actually difference way less) for 3500 hours a year just on the interest savings.
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Inverted2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Location: Ontario

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#16 Post by Inverted2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:01 pm

“3. Will AC do a "Celebration Hangar Event"(not sure what the real name is) like how they did in YYZ the very day that the 787 was delivered?”

You’d have to have a pretty boring life to want to go to a hangar and have a circle jerk around a 737 with fancy new zig zaggy engine cowlings. 8)
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#17 Post by rudder » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:49 am

Just saw an AA 737MAX8 yesterday. Nice looking bird.
---------- ADS -----------

wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#18 Post by wowie_kazowie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm

here is a photo over on airliners.net
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Cana ... ctHg%3D%3D
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Human Factor
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Between a dock and a hard place.

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#19 Post by Human Factor » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:17 pm

It's wearing a black mask, like some sort of burglar... which I guess it probably is in Airbus' eyes. :P
---------- ADS -----------
Will fix airplanes for food.

A321
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:07 am

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#20 Post by A321 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 am

..and I thought it was the mask of Zorro!

Any word on Route Proving flights within Canada for the MAX?
---------- ADS -----------

RVR6000
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:25 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#21 Post by RVR6000 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 am

It’s been busy flying the last few days, YYZ-YVR turns, touch and go’s in YQB and YHZ.
---------- ADS -----------

goleafsgo
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#22 Post by goleafsgo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Is there a reason to do YYZ-YVR turns for training/familiarity? Seems like a lot of gas to be burning with no pax. Would YYZ-YOW/YUL not be good enough?
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:50 pm
Location: Centre of the Universe

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

#23 Post by Sage » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:27 pm

goleafsgo wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:11 pm
Is there a reason to do YYZ-YVR turns for training/familiarity? Seems like a lot of gas to be burning with no pax. Would YYZ-YOW/YUL not be good enough?
You need sectors and hours.
---------- ADS -----------
Scope. Not just a mouthwash.

Post Reply

Return to “Air Canada”