When is AC hiring again?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: When is AC hiring again?

Post by CAL »

---------- ADS -----------

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Oh that's not a job posting. It's just Air Canada's profile page.
A job posting is like:
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot ... viation-LP

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Well thats what I was thinking but a couple weeks ago another posted posted that he thought ac was hiring again also...this is the second company update in a couple weeks for AC that following the news update states hiring.
I guess the confusion is they are technically hiring just they dont have a job posting open so OTS cant apply.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Yes they are definitely "hiring". That part is not wrong. They just aren't taking applications right now from the general public.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

Do you have any cues when AC will hire from now? I was wondering if they are filling up all their groundschool?

I was told that you could be hired by Air Canada straight out from a King Air, is that true? In this case, this would be amazing!

Safe and happy flights to all!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...
Thank you Altiplano for sharing. Safe flights to you.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

I guess they might soon do away with the uni requirement as well ... last I heard jazz has been hiring ppl without atpls as well.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.
Very nice altiplano! That's funny, when I started in Quebec, many persons in the industry told us to do a degree in something but many of us (students) of our generation (90's) were puzzled about that idea but I found that important, as a plan B. I am glad you say it is still desirable.

Prop-to-Jet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prop-to-Jet »

I suspect you mean actively hiring from PML & from the ones who applied during the 2016 Spring window?
Because there is still no pilot jobs posted on AC's site.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Maybe.

I'm sure they have lots of applications on file from the past, maybe they are working through those.

It used to take years of applying at AC to get hired for the most part... even now if you have just met the minimum to apply, then I wouldn't expect a call.

Anyway, the new bid shows in excess of 500 vacancies. Lots of hiring to come...

Prop-to-Jet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prop-to-Jet »

Thanks altiplano. I got 5000+hrs and I'm an FO on the 737NG, bilingual with a degree. Hopefully all that will help. Do we need internal recommendations in order to get in AC, like Westjet does? I'm trying to compare benefits between AC and Westjet, trying to do what's best for my family. I'll look at other posts to try to compare. It looks like AC pilots are divided about the latest TA and the DC pension switch. I was hoping they'd go with Defined Benefits,, not MEPP, but that would have been too good to be true. That's for another post.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

From what I've heard and seen AC is the major in Canada where internal references will not help you so much.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

It's a good job. Lots of openings plus many retirements to come and varied opportunity to someone joining now.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

It's a good job. Lots of openings plus many retirements to come and varied opportunity to someone joining now.

I am eager and very enthusiastic to see that. What is DB or TBP/MEPP/CWIPP altiplano??

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DB= Defined Benefit pension
- Defined pension payout for life after retirement based on a formula of years of service and highest average earnings
- the pension Air Canada Pilots had before Lisa Raitt and the Harper Conservatives illegally allowed the corporation to close it in 2012... Pilots hired today don't have that plan.

TBP/MEPP/CWIPP= Target Benefit Plan/Multi Employer Pension Plan/Canada Wide Industrial Pension Plan
- TBP is the type of plan, the specific one we got for our members is CWIPP... and it's a MEPP...
- basically it allows you to save in a registered, pooled plan beyond current ITA limits
- there are ups and downs of the plan vs. DC/RRSP savings some loss of flexibility and control with your money, you pay more due no ITA limit, the payout can vary, if you leave AC you would do better with your money in a well managed portfolio,... but for those that don't want to think about it and come out the the other end of this career with a payout for life... there you go.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

altiplano wrote:There is an internal reference program.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:DB= Defined Benefit pension
- Defined pension payout for life after retirement based on a formula of years of service and highest average earnings
- the pension Air Canada Pilots had before Lisa Raitt and the Harper Conservatives illegally allowed the corporation to close it in 2012... Pilots hired today don't have that plan.

TBP/MEPP/CWIPP= Target Benefit Plan/Multi Employer Pension Plan/Canada Wide Industrial Pension Plan
- TBP is the type of plan, the specific one we got for our members is CWIPP... and it's a MEPP...
- basically it allows you to save in a registered, pooled plan beyond current ITA limits
- there are ups and downs of the plan vs. DC/RRSP savings some loss of flexibility and control with your money, you pay more due no ITA limit, the payout can vary, if you leave AC you would do better with your money in a well managed portfolio,... but for those that don't want to think about it and come out the the other end of this career with a payout for life... there you go.
Thank you for this info Altiplano, very useful! So, all pilots from after 2012 don't have this DB plan? DB would have been certainly great, let say if you would have been captain on a 777, it would have been a considerable amount. I guess I will see the MEPP soon or later in my career but I will definitely take a look on all the posibilities.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

AviatPsy03 wrote:
altiplano wrote:DB= Defined Benefit pension

Thank you for this info Altiplano, very useful! So, all pilots from after 2012 don't have this DB plan? DB would have been certainly great, let say if you would have been captain on a 777, it would have been a considerable amount. I guess I will see the MEPP soon or later in my career but I will definitely take a look on all the posibilities.
To add some important details comparing the DB to the TBP:
Under the DB, once you have completed the years of service required to have an unreduced pension (25 years), the amount of benefit you collect in retirement has nothing to do with your career average earnings, but rather your "best 5" years of service. Example: some one who was a 777 captain from day 1 to retirement at 25 years vs someone who was an RP for 20 years and then held 777 captain for the last 5 years, both would receive identical pensions.
Under the TBP, your benefit collected in retirement is a target based on a number of factors, the but importantly it is calculated based on average career earnings. So the example given above would produce different pensions since pilot #1 earned far more over his/her career. This type of pension has the side effect of encouraging maximum earnings over the entire career. Or interpreted differently, bidding junior positions your whole career.
Another important distinction is that a DB cuts off contributions at a specific YOS (also 25 years I believe?). Meaning a pilot hired young can actually do better in retirement under the TBP since there is no maximum contributions (in percentage of income yes, but not dollar amount or number of years of contributions).
It is far more complicated than anyone can spell out here, but in essence the younger a pilot is hired and the more he/she earns in their career, the difference in benefit between the two pensions is quickly erased. Keep in mind though, more years contributing to a TBP is more you are not getting in pocket during that time.
One final note about the TBP. Many would have you believe that being a Target Benefit Plan, the amount you will receive in benefit is always in limbo and any fluctuations in market return/interest rates/member contribution etc will throw your retirement plans on shaky ground. The fact is the CWIPP has been operating for over 30 years and has only reduced benefit twice (benefits are reduced group specifically; meaning one company's shortfall in contribution affects those members only, not all CWIPP members) and those were for employee groups of less than 20 people. ACPA pilots will be the largest employee group to join CWIPP (over 800 members already) and bring by far the most stability, through amount of money being contributed, and volume of members contributing. And that number will only increase over the decades (as DBers retire and TBPers are hired).
Yes the TBP has inferior qualities to the DB plan. But don't let anyone tell you it's a slightly better DC plan.

Return to “Air Canada”