Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Message
Author
LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#51 Post by LuckyPilot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm

In the last course of October, they have 5 former WestJetters. On a side note, and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, apparently their is over 200 resumes on file from WJ pilots. At 4 to 5 pilots on every course coming from WJ, this must be creating some crewing issues at WJ.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: south saturn delta

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#52 Post by Dockjock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:24 am

This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL
---------- ADS -----------
  

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1634
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#53 Post by rudder » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 am

Dockjock wrote:This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL
The WJ problem is demographics. Relatively young average age for CA at WJ resulting in low left seat attrition forecast. On the other hand, AC has a predictable and immminent retirement wave and associated upgrade opportunities. Combine that with the fact that AC has a massive WB fleet and network and the reality is that AC offers a career opportunity that WJ does not. The result is that some WJ pilots see their time at WJ as just a stepping stone.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#54 Post by Checklist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

rudder wrote:
Dockjock wrote:This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL
The WJ problem is demographics. Relatively young average age for CA at WJ resulting in low left seat attrition forecast. On the other hand, AC has a predictable and immminent retirement wave and associated upgrade opportunities. Combine that with the fact that AC has a massive WB fleet and network and the reality is that AC offers a career opportunity that WJ does not. The result is that some WJ pilots see their time at WJ as just a stepping stone.

Not to mention the 300+ encore guys already ahead of you....
---------- ADS -----------
  

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:46 pm
Location: south saturn delta

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#55 Post by Dockjock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 am

Fact is, the problem is there. WJ can hire and train people who stay there for a couple years and be happy with that (possible), or do something about it. I wonder what year their retirements start to pick up? 10 yrs from now? 15?
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#56 Post by av8ts » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Checklist wrote:

Not to mention the 300+ encore guys already ahead of you....
Oh I’m sure they were told when they were hired “ oh by the way you’ll be paid more than 300 pilots already hired and ahead of you in seniority”
---------- ADS -----------
  

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:06 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#57 Post by Checklist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:21 pm

av8ts wrote:
Checklist wrote:

Not to mention the 300+ encore guys already ahead of you....
Oh I’m sure they were told when they were hired “ oh by the way you’ll be paid more than 300 pilots already hired and ahead of you in seniority”

I doubt they had to tell pilots interviewing at a different company, that they’d be paid differently, than pilots at a different company.
---------- ADS -----------
  

av8ts
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#58 Post by av8ts » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am

Checklist wrote:
av8ts wrote:
Checklist wrote:

Not to mention the 300+ encore guys already ahead of you....
Oh I’m sure they were told when they were hired “ oh by the way you’ll be paid more than 300 pilots already hired and ahead of you in seniority”

I doubt they had to tell pilots interviewing at a different company, that they’d be paid differently, than pilots at a different company.
Different company, right
---------- ADS -----------
  

bearinmind
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#59 Post by bearinmind » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 am

I say we hire every wje/wja pilot that has applied right now even if they are not on course for 6 months. Payback for the years they robbed our regionals.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mbav8r
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Location: Manitoba

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#60 Post by mbav8r » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:34 pm

bearinmind wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 am
I say we hire every wje/wja pilot that has applied right now even if they are not on course for 6 months. Payback for the years they robbed our regionals.
They have their payback for robbing the regionals, ALPA!
---------- ADS -----------
  
"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#61 Post by JLA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:45 pm

Last June PIT course of 24:

12 WJ family
1 Sky
1 GGN
0 Jazz


:smt040
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#62 Post by goingnowherefast » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:37 pm

What about the remaining 10?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 316
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:28 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#63 Post by Shady McSly » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Easy there, math whiz.
---------- ADS -----------
  

DH8Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#64 Post by DH8Pilot » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 am

The OTS v. Express carrier numbers have been somewhat demoralizing as of late.

From an economic standpoint, I can certainly understand the trend toward hiring OTS, especially Westjet. However, there needs to be some semblance of a carrot at the end of the stick. Otherwise, the Express carrier wages (especially on the FO side) are going to get old quick.
---------- ADS -----------
  

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

#65 Post by JLA » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 am

The sky numbers are high, jazz flowies are only from pml 1.0
Does the 737 sim still require jet time?
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Air Canada”