Medical Exams and Prescription Medications

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Medical Exams and Prescription Medications

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

Hello,

I recently had a medical exam done for AC (non-pilot) in which everything went swimmingly. All measurements and tests were normal with of course zero positives on the drug screen (as the nurse showed me). My only concern is that I take a low dose of a prescription medication for what is considered to be a mental health condition (which in no way affects my ability to work as I have been working for another company in the same role). This medication is definitely a no-no for pilots from what I've read (as are most medications which are used for mental health). Unfortunately I've been stressing out over the possibility that I may be disqualified from the position (it's an operations job at their main facility). Can anyone shed some light on how exactly the medical results are reported/interpreted? Is it a straight "pass" or "fail" which is passed onto the hiring manager(s) or do they send along the whole package for them to decide. Is there a turn-around between when you have the medical and when you get called back?

Stressed out in YYZ.
---------- ADS -----------

Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!
Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Medical Exams and Prescription Medications

Post by Ah_yeah »

Full disclosure, I'm not specifically in-the-know but I doubt that the blood work screens for prescription meds. Many such meds have multiple uses anyway. I would bet it's just a test for illicit drugs. I wouldn't worry about it if you're otherwise qualified which, you must be since they devoted a medical session to you.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I'm not a medical expert and I don't work for Air Canada.

What I understand from your post is that you are taking prescription medication but have not told them about it. From what you've written you are going to be in a non flying job so I'm not sure why the fact that the medication is a 'no-no for Pilots' is relevant to your situation.

I don't know how it works at Air Canada but some companies have a clause in the contract that if you have failed to disclose certain things it can be used to dismiss you. It's also quite normal to ask about any medication you are taking on the application form.

My personal philosophy is to always be honest about things that may be issues.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
BeechjetYKZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BeechjetYKZ »

To be clear I did not lie about the prescription. I clearly listed it on the questionnaire and the nurse confirmed it. My concern is with why I have yet to hear anything yet. As far as I was told at the appointment my medical results were all normal.

Nothing cleans a dirty plane like 100LL!

Return to “Air Canada”