Narrowbody Preference: EMJ vs A320

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Narrowbody Preference: EMJ vs A320

Post by flymore »

Seems like the most recent groundschool are getting a lot of Mainline narrow body spots, specially the EMJ and A320. For those with experience on those, what are your thoughts? Which one would you pick as a new hire?

Lifestyle
Routes
Schedule
Go to Rouge with A320 (319)
Upgrade
Enjoyment of each plane type
Anything else worth mentioning?
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Narrowbody Preference: EMJ vs A320

Post by Fanblade »

If I were a new hire I would choose Rouge.

No reserve. Socialized bidding is very beneficial when junior. Unlimited overtime to make up for the crappy pay check in the first 4 Year’s. If you like turns look at the 319. If you want overseas look at the 76.

The problem is most people are thinking the same way and often Rouge is not available to new hires. An option could be to take the 320 mainline then bid Rouge when available.

I doubt there will be many EMJ spots in the coming months as AC just decided to park 6 EMJs early in favour of keeping some 320s longer.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 am If I were a new hire I would choose Rouge.

No reserve. Socialized bidding is very beneficial when junior. Unlimited overtime to make up for the crappy pay check in the first 4 Year’s. If you like turns look at the 319. If you want overseas look at the 76.

The problem is most people are thinking the same way and often Rouge is not available to new hires. An option could be to take the 320 mainline then bid Rouge when available.

I doubt there will be many EMJ spots in the coming months as AC just decided to park 6 EMJs early in favour of keeping some 320s longer.
+1
Rouge is a great way to escape some of the pains of the early years of juniority. As it is usually not offered in new hire courses, bidding the 320 allows you to slide over when you can hold the position without using a course right. As another bonus, all 4 bases fly the 320, so bidding this aircraft allows you the option of moving between all bases (when you can hold a spot) without using a course right to do so. The 320s will be around for a long time yet. Which bases hold on to them will remain to be seen.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

If I had my pick, I'd go with the A320. That type rating is worth a lot if you want to go overseas and make some real money.

Das ist mir wurst...
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:08 pm If I had my pick, I'd go with the A320. That type rating is worth a lot if you want to go overseas and make some real money.
I think you'll need some PIC for that plan to work

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

atphat wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm
HansDietrich wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:08 pm If I had my pick, I'd go with the A320. That type rating is worth a lot if you want to go overseas and make some real money.
True enough, but not always. If you want to go to Emirates, time on an A320 will get an FO salary that rivals Air Canada's captain pay.

Das ist mir wurst...
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Is it the pay? or the taxation regime?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 pm
atphat wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:23 pm
True enough, but not always. If you want to go to Emirates, time on an A320 will get an FO salary that rivals Air Canada's captain pay.
Have you spoken to any Emirates pilots lately? Ask them how great their job is.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

atphat wrote:Have you spoken to any Emirates pilots lately? Ask them how great their job is.
I have. I actually have a number of friends that work at EK and EY. It's not perfect, but they have never complained about money. They work a lot, are gone from home a lot, but the money is great. Let's give credit where credit needs to be given. Don't believe all those "sob stories" about Emirates pilots being fed up. Some are, indeed, but if you see the standard of living of those who live there you'll change your mind. Those type of companies may not be the right fit for everyone, but to some, they are great.

Das ist mir wurst...
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Back on track - the guy's not asking about going to work at Emirates...

Anyway, I'd take none of the above - go on the 737.

Growing fleet, brand new aircraft, there are going to be some good routes, new guys coming on it already have a bunch below with more to come, ~300 more to be hired by spring...

If not that I'd take the 320... EMJ is shrinking.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

All great advice guys. And thanks for getting the discussion back on track. I doubt anyone is coming to Air Canada to go to Emirates.

737 is restricted to candidates with previous jet time unfortunately. Also the YYZ base pilots will not be ETOPS qualified for now. The YUL base will be ETOPS qualified so those guys will do the YYZ overseas flying.

EMJ seems like the most unappealing option but may have the benefit of a free course right and a forced reduction bid, allowing you to move anywhere. And a quick upgrade but not for long.

A320 seems like the better option of the 2 schedule wise and has the potential for moving to Rouge.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I don’t think there are any benefits schedule wise to going on the 320 Mainline. Unless you want to be on reserve longer. Save the Rouge option.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:57 am
atphat wrote:Have you spoken to any Emirates pilots lately? Ask them how great their job is.
I have. I actually have a number of friends that work at EK and EY. It's not perfect, but they have never complained about money. They work a lot, are gone from home a lot, but the money is great. Let's give credit where credit needs to be given. Don't believe all those "sob stories" about Emirates pilots being fed up. Some are, indeed, but if you see the standard of living of those who live there you'll change your mind. Those type of companies may not be the right fit for everyone, but to some, they are great.
Money is only a small part of the equation...come on Hans...

I'll happily take less money to:
- work less
- be home
- have a great home life surrounded by family & friends with solid roots

Remember, one divorce and you will quickly have LESS money and worked more, for NOTHING

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

groundpilot wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

- work less
- be home

Remember, one divorce and you will quickly have LESS money and worked more, for NOTHING
I agree with you 100%, but let's look at reality.
1. Quote " have a great home life"... What great "home" life mate, when a house in Toronto is 1.9 mil and you make 40K... 80K if you're a captain on a mighty Dash?

I think your dream was a reality about 20 years ago. Canadian pilots (flying for the big Red) had it good. They had their cake and ate it too. Us, regional "schmucks" will never be able to afford car insurance in YYZ, let alone a house...

Das ist mir wurst...
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

$1.9 million?

What kind of houses are you looking at Conrad Black? Lol.

I agree with the rest of your sentiment though... we sure let it slip.

A 747 FO at Air Canada 25 years ago made more than 767 Captain today. I'm talking real dollars, not inflation adjusted or anything... further they had a 10x better contact, more time off, indexed pension,

It's a tragedy...

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

Talking from the sand box , life is having the right amount of money with the right amount of time to enjoy it with the right amount of people. I would give anything to come back and join AC at the bottom of the list...Work rules in the middle east are max'd out..just my 2 cents

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:56 pm
groundpilot wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 pm

- work less
- be home

I agree with you 100%, but let's look at reality.
1. Quote " have a great home life"... What great "home" life mate, when a house in Toronto is 1.9 mil and you make 40K... 80K if you're a captain on a mighty Dash?

I think your dream was a reality about 20 years ago. Canadian pilots (flying for the big Red) had it good. They had their cake and ate it too. Us, regional "schmucks" will never be able to afford car insurance in YYZ, let alone a house...

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

“Talking from the sand box , life is having the right amount of money with the right amount of time to enjoy it with the right amount of people. I would give anything to come back and join AC at the bottom of the list...Work rules in the middle east are max'd out..just my 2 cents”

Thanks for the honest and humble feedback

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

I have been on blithe types in the right seat. Now in the left seat of EMJ. I think the EMJ sked is great flying max hours in only 15 days not 16 like you would on the bus. The EMJ is a great machine fun to fly but you do raise and lower the gear more than other fleets but you also have less sitting in hotel time. On the EMJ you will be able to control your sked faster which is nice. I was 30% on the Airbus and had no control over sked and doing 3-4 redeye which was hard on the body. Hope that helps

Icebreaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Icebreaker »

If one were offered A320 mainline FO on the initial course how long would it take to slide over as A319 rouge FO?

Return to “Air Canada”