Thoughts on ACPA Joining ALPA...

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Blue Side Up
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thoughts on ACPA Joining ALPA...

Post by Blue Side Up »

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd throw this question out as it's somethng I've been pondering lately... What are your thoughts on ACPA joining ALPA?

I have experince with ALPA from my time at Jazz and for the most part I'm satisfied with ALPA's representation. There are some things that I didn't like about ALPA. For example, how little time they gave Jazz pilots to sign the 10 year contract back in 2015. Or how the B scale was introduced to Jazz and brought the regional bar even lower in Canada. I do think ACPA has good intentions...but the fact that we're 3800+ pilots compared to 50,000+ pilots at ALPA can make a big difference in bargaining power.

During a time when pilots in the US are getting 30+% pay increases without a fight.. I think we could be doing more at AC to raise the mainline bar even higher. Can ALPA do this more effectively than ACPA? Curious to read everyones thoughts.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Thoughts on ACPA Joining ALPA...

Post by CanadianEh »

It's a good idea! ... so it'll never happen

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Unions are only as good as the reps. If AC went ALPA and the current ACPA reps/MEC also hold same positions then little will change.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard that there were concerns from some widebody pilots regarding the support they have when flying overseas, especially with the routes continuing to grow. ACPA is a very small in house union so if they ever needed support overseas it could take some time, ALPA seems to have a farther reach and more support all over the world.

Thoughts?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

The more pilots in Canada that are represented by the same union the better.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
EmbraerXXX
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EmbraerXXX »

Do it...

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

teacher wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 pm The more pilots in Canada that are represented by the same union the better.

That's pretty much what it boils down to

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Perhaps the AC pilots should join ALPA. Or perhaps the AC pilots should remain represented by ACPA. The AC pilots certainly have the absolute right to self determination when it comes to representation.

But regardless of the path chosen, shouldn’t the AC pilots be having this discussion amongst each other weighing the perceived benefits or drawbacks of status quo vs change and then validating the will of the majority by conducting an internal ballot?

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Seriously. A quick look at the ALPA website lists the following Canadian members:

Air Georgian
First Air
Air Transat
Jazz
Bearskin
Kelowna Flighcraft
Calm Air
Canadian North
Encore
Wasaya
WestJet

Not exactly all places where things are going great for the pilot group or the company. I think ALPA needs to show some results in this country before anyone at Air Canada would consider them.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think there are more similarities between US mainline carriers and AC than between AC and anyone on that list.

This results are convincing.

Cutting out the drag on our careers that is ACPA is the best thing we could do...

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

ACPA has governed during a period of the most precipitous drop in wages and working conditions for Air Canada pilots in the entire history of the organization.

They failed time and time again to negotiate "snap back" clauses to regain "gives" during times of prosperity.

The Contract was completely gutted during the FOS goat-and-pony show....a situation that wouldn't likely have happened under the guidance of a proper "non-colluding" Union like ALPA.

ACPA should have been dead years ago....... right after they failed to protect WACON with a snap-back clause after R. Milton strip-mined the company and made off with $86,000,000 personally.......and his ACE shareholders $1,500,000,000

We've been playing the part of a "battered wife" ever since. Unfortunately most of those individuals "guiding the ship" when those staggering loses occurred are still at it. The time for the pilot group to "wake up" was the summer of 2005......13 years ago.

DP.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

rudder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm Perhaps the AC pilots should join ALPA. Or perhaps the AC pilots should remain represented by ACPA. The AC pilots certainly have the absolute right to self determination when it comes to representation.

But regardless of the path chosen, shouldn’t the AC pilots be having this discussion amongst each other weighing the perceived benefits or drawbacks of status quo vs change and then validating the will of the majority by conducting an internal ballot?
Well that's interesting Rudder. I seem to you opining on whether or not WJ pilots should certify with ALPA, and you don't, and have never worked for WJ. Why the change of opinion?

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am
rudder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm Perhaps the AC pilots should join ALPA. Or perhaps the AC pilots should remain represented by ACPA. The AC pilots certainly have the absolute right to self determination when it comes to representation.

Well that's interesting rudder. I seem to you opining on whether or not WJ pilots should certify with ALPA, and you don't, and have never worked for WJ. Why the change of opinion?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

NewCommercialPilot wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am
Well that's interesting Rudder. I seem to you opining on whether or not WJ pilots should certify with ALPA, and you don't, and have never worked for WJ. Why the change of opinion?
Not a change of opinion. They are different circumstances.

The AC pilots are already unionized. Their only choice is whether to remain ACPA represented or to consider an alternative. The WJ pilots were making a decision about unionizing or remaining within a non-certified Association. In both cases I favour the pilot groups seeking representation from a certified pilot union. UNIFOR is another option but I still believe the best overall professional pilot representation platform is currently offered by ALPA.

I also believe that the professional pilot community in Canada will benefit by as many pilots as possible being under one tent. I do not see ACPA offering representation to non-AC pilots so that leaves limited options. It could be ALPA, or perhaps an evolved more autonomous organization with ties to ALPA (perhaps call it ALPA CANADA).

I think that the WJ pilots are better off as ALPA members. I also believe that ALPA is better off with the WJ and WJ Encore pilots in the fold. I similarly believe that the same would be true for the AC pilots (and the Sunwing pilots, Cargojet pilots, Morningstar pilots, and all of the UNIFOR represented pilot groups in Canada). But I believe and support that there must be an informed internal debate and that ultimately the will of the majority should be respected on each property.

ALPA has had its problems over the years since the CALPA/ALPA merger where less enlightened ALPA leadership was averse to expanding membership in Canada. Thankfully, those leaders have been replaced. ALPA is now accepting all professional pilot groups that want representation.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm
Looks like that process has just started. I did the survey yesterday.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Fanblade wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm
rudder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm
Looks like that process has just started. I did the survey yesterday.
The survey is a joke. Obviously biased towards getting the answers the MEC wants to hear. Similar to every ACPA survey I’ve ever done. They’ll post the results and say that it’s obvious the membership is happy. How about a simple one line question? Do you want ACPA or ALPA?

I’ve been under the ALPA banner before and would go back in a heartbeat.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

bcflyer wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm
The survey is a joke. Obviously biased towards getting the answers the MEC wants to hear. Similar to every ACPA survey I’ve ever done. They’ll post the results and say that it’s obvious the membership is happy. How about a simple one line question? Do you want ACPA or ALPA?

I’ve been under the ALPA banner before and would go back in a heartbeat.
The current (out going) MEC chair is a dyed in the wool ACPA founding father, and there is no shortage of his kin woven throughout the association. We're more likely to see Russia under new representation than Air Canada pilots.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

Agree with that sentiment Stig. I think the membership is just getting duped by all this navel gazing. The rot isn't going to give in easy. The sooner we shutter ACPA, the better. The union has been a disaster since TA1 was hatched.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

If ACPA is playing these mind games then they could be charged with failure to represent if the intent of the majority is to join ALPA.
http://www.cirb-ccri.gc.ca/eic/site/047 ... 00109.html

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

You only need one question on the survey:

“DO YOU SUPPORT ACPA ENTERING IN TO EXPLORATORY DISCUSSIONS WITH ALPA TO EXAMINE THE POTENTIAL BENEFITS OR DRAWBACKS FOR THE AIR CANADA PILOTS OF MERGING ACPA WITH ALPA?”

YES

NO

Return to “Air Canada”