Landing the max

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Landing the max

Post by Eric Janson »

fish4life wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:25 pm ummm, is that not a good example of why the working up north is great for teaching you lessons compared to the "European" model? They caught the fact it got slow initially but then what the hell happened?
This is more a case of failure of basic flying skills - monitoring your airspeed is one of the first things you learn when you start flying.

A lot of recent crashes have occurred because Pilots were unable to fly their aircraft after relatively benign failures.

As for landing the 737 - when I flew it it was "Manual flight = Manual thrust". Depending on conditions I would reduce the thrust earlier or later as required during landing.

The only time A/T was used was on an autoland.

Not sure why it needs to be any more complicated than that.
---------- ADS -----------

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Level Change
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Landing the max

Post by Level Change »

No, we don't teach to "chop" the power at 40 feet. Power is reduced in the flare, idle at touchdown. Aircraft limitation is AT off by 50' unless doing an approach with both autopilots engaged, such as Cat2 or Cat3.

There is a note that allows deselecting of the speed tile to keep AT armed in the event of a GA but personally, I don't do it as it just complicates matters in my opinion. There are some gotcha's with that. This is just a 1950's airplane with lipstick, not particularly complicated but it is "old school".
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Air Canada”