Long term commuters

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Long term commuters

Post by matthew.oommen »

I would like to hear from a long term commuter (5 years or more) to see how things are like commuting to work.
Preferably someone who has been commuting from YYC to any AC base for work. I just want to know if it’s worth it in the long term. I don’t commute to work right now (30 min drive, if that), and I’m little stressed about having to commute to YVR for the rest of my life.
Any info will be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Say Altitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Long term commuters

Post by Say Altitude »

There are close to 300 commuters that live in/around YYC - split between YVR and YYZ so you won't be alone. YVR is easy (for the most part) because we run almost hourly plus you'll have access to the jumpseats (FD and FA) during busy times. 1 hour flight plus you gain an hour. Even junior (except being on reserve) you'll be ok - will just have to watch loads. YYZ is the same but slightly less frequency but still FD/FA JS access. Downside is 3.5 hours each way and you lose 2 hours - almost eliminates same day check in so you'll need to go out night before - and either hotel it or find a crash pad. Hundreds commute - if you can't stomach the real estate costs, YYC YVR is not the end of the world by a long shot.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Say Altitude wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:08 pm There are close to 300 commuters that live in/around YYC - split between YVR and YYZ so you won't be alone. YVR is easy (for the most part) because we run almost hourly plus you'll have access to the jumpseats (FD and FA) during busy times. 1 hour flight plus you gain an hour. Even junior (except being on reserve) you'll be ok - will just have to watch loads. YYZ is the same but slightly less frequency but still FD/FA JS access. Downside is 3.5 hours each way and you lose 2 hours - almost eliminates same day check in so you'll need to go out night before - and either hotel it or find a crash pad. Hundreds commute - if you can't stomach the real estate costs, YYC YVR is not the end of the world by a long shot.
Awesome , this is great info. To add to this, best case scenario YVR based (YYC commuter), what would be the average amount of days away from home once past reserve but still junior?

Say Altitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Say Altitude »

16 days is max on the narrowbody (320 with 737 to come this fall). Even as a junior blockholder there are still lots of YYC layovers so you can probably count on a few YYC layovers mid-pairing during the month to offset the 16 days. There is no days worked limit on the WB but another option is 787 RP - FRA LHR and NRT out of YYC have a third. Those are coveted spots so don't plan on picking up too many YYC as a junior RP plus FRA switches to 777 in the summer. Good luck - very doable and you'll fall into a routine fast enough you won't even think about it. Whatever you do, if you're still debating accepting, just get onboard and figure out once you're here. Don't decline a spot based on a hunch. Try it for yourself. Good luck.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

matthew.oommen wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:57 pm I would like to hear from a long term commuter (5 years or more) to see how things are like commuting to work.
Preferably someone who has been commuting from YYC to any AC base for work. I just want to know if it’s worth it in the long term. I don’t commute to work right now (30 min drive, if that), and I’m little stressed about having to commute to YVR for the rest of my life.
Any info will be appreciated.
I have been commuting from YYC for about 10 years now. Most of it to YVR and some to YYZ. I too was leary about the idea at first but it has worked fine for me for the most part.

For me the key is seniority on type. This allows late starts and early finishes. I use a hotel in YVR only a few times a year. I am a domestic FO and get on average 1-2 YYC overnights per pairing. I cancel hotels in YYC and at $25/night reimbursement it more than covers my cost of hotels in YVR. Passes cost me about $270-350 a month. I am home more than those who live in YVR.

Commuting to YYZ I almost always travelled the day prior so I lost an extra few days a month.

Juniority has the opposite impact and can be drastic. No YYC overnights at times. Early starts and late finishes can cause a night lost at either end of a pairing. You could be gone 2/3 of the month.

Commuting on reserve can be onerous. I broke my leg two years ago. When I came back on line I was placed on reserve for the month. I spent nearly 1K on hotels that month between sim and reserve. I wasn't home for 12 days at one point.

You can survive your initial juniority one of two ways. Suck it up, as long as everyone is on board, or move temporarily to your base. I chose the latter. Most choose the former.

As an added note I have always tried to remain in the top half of any aircraft I bid. Between the cost of commuting and the delayed bidding to the next type I have left a lot of $ on the table. For example I could have held CA for about 2 years now but bidding it would come with an adverse impact on the amount I am home, so I haven’t. I suspect another year or two and I will move over. That isn’t an insignificant amount of $. On the flip side taxes and cost of living in YYC are less than YVR and YYZ.

matthew.oommen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by matthew.oommen »

Thanks for the info, definitely helped me make a decision.

Return to “Air Canada”