Is it true?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Is it true?

Post by confusedalot »

Hmmm.......

First of, I am a male. Second, don't work for big red. So let's get that out of the way. So that means I would not be prone to get all out of joint because of some silly naked lady clipping.

The emj thing was more than that. Saw it myself, and hey, it was my partner who found the stuff, in planes transferred out of the fleet. I really did not need to know or see that.

I am finding it difficult to believe that a female would take a million, which is not a whole lot of money anymore, in exchange for leaving a career that pays ten times more than that over time. That would be height of stupidity.
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

confusedalot wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 8:17 pm Hmmm.......

First of, I am a male. Second, don't work for big red. So let's get that out of the way. So that means I would not be prone to get all out of joint because of some silly naked lady clipping.

The emj thing was more than that. Saw it myself, and hey, it was my partner who found the stuff, in planes transferred out of the fleet. I really did not need to know or see that.

I am finding it difficult to believe that a female would take a million, which is not a whole lot of money anymore, in exchange for leaving a career that pays ten times more than that over time. That would be height of stupidity.
10 million over a career? I want to work there, please! That would be one charmed career. Most are hired in their mid thirties now. 25 years at the company. First 5 nets you $350k. Next 10 realistically gets you $1.5 million as a WB FO. Next 5 gets you $1.0 as NB CA. Last 5 gets you $1.5 as a WB CA = ~$4.35 million over a 25 year career. BEFORE TAX.

The traumatized sexually harassed pilot got a settlement of 20 years at Airbus CA rate or around $3.2 million. Plus she will have 25 years income in another career, if she chooses. Sounds smart to me.

BTW. You had to search for the questionable FD material. Know where they were. They were not in plane sight. No condoning what happened but also agree that this was an opportunistic situation that was fully exploited. 2 "wrongs" made a "right" in this case.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Except you can be NB Captain in a year or two not 10.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Victory wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am Except you can be NB Captain in a year or two not 10.
Today, yes. Back then, not so easy. Even if you go CA NB (It pays pretty close to WB FO) after year 2, you can add another $150k-$200k pre tax to my total.... still not even half of the $10 million that was quoted.

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

The traumatized sexually harassed pilot got a settlement of 20 years at Airbus CA rate or around $3.2 million.
Well there you go ......finally got my question answered! As suspected....wow!
!

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

land3 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm
The traumatized sexually harassed pilot got a settlement of 20 years at Airbus CA rate or around $3.2 million.
!
All I can say is...holy shit. Far from my basic ethical standards, but hey, if you can take a company to the cleaners for 3.2 million, as twisted as it is, it now makes a whole lot more sense, but not in a good way, than dumping an entire career just because of a number on a flight plan that likely was an OK number in the first place.

Whoever said crime does not pay is full of it, in a manner of speaking. I'm too naive to understand why people do this kind of thing, and how they get away with it.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

nah, forget it

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

confusedalot wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm
land3 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm
!
All I can say is...holy shit. Far from my basic ethical standards, but hey, if you can take a company to the cleaners for 3.2 million, as twisted as it is, it now makes a whole lot more sense, but not in a good way, than dumping an entire career just because of a number on a flight plan that likely was an OK number in the first place.

Whoever said crime does not pay is full of it, in a manner of speaking. I'm too naive to understand why people do this kind of thing, and how they get away with it.
Confusedalot

Been following this thread with some interest and unlike you I am not an airline pilot so you can obviously speak with authority on this. Having said that such situations happen in all industry work places and I did see similar during my Service provider(NC) time. For the most part(not all mind you) with plaintiffs of this nature there is usually some history preceding in interactions with other employees notably one of authority. If I read commentary correctly in this particular case the FO in question was making operation changes by him/herself without consulting superiors ie the designated aircraft captain which a “heated discussion followed”. My point is corporations seeing this situation with a problem employee, anticipating future issues will accept payout to avoid having to deal with this employee again because it WILL happen. The money is question seems plenty but to a major airline tis nothing to put this problem behind them.

Like the situation I referred to at NC, Air Canada like NC made it plain that this employee/pilot is not the individual they want around on their property.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Got it, quite understandable and loud and clear.

I have no way to validate the figure, but if it is the case, 3.2 million???? Not an expert in the subject, but after a total of 40 or so years in the workforce (I'm counting summer and school jobs), it rarely but at odd times happens that a bad fit needs to be dealt with. To put it bluntly, their asses were handed to them and were kicked out the door with nothing else.

Hence my astonishment at the alleged payout. Seems like some sort of double standard is operating here. Worked for one large and fairly well known place that reduced their workforce by 1500 during the 2008-2009 economic crisis which blindsided many, and I was one of them. They gave additional compensation to everyone but you can imagine that it was not all that much and nowhere near the above quoted figure.

It is what it is I guess.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'd take settlement numbers on the internet with a grain of salt. There were similar rumours floating around my airlines and it turned out the case was still on going ie no settlement.

Return to “Air Canada”