European Pilots at AC?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nil_defect_found
Rank 0
Rank 0

European Pilots at AC?

Post by nil_defect_found »

Hi guys,

I was advised to check out the AVC forums for a question I had regarding hiring at AC. Just wondering if anybody knows of any European guys who have made the move over and now operate for AC?

ATPL, A320 typed and current.

Let us hypothesise that although I'm a British citizen, immigration hoops are magically cleared via marriage to my Canadian missus or naturalisation or whatever and I am granted the right to live and work in Canada.

Let us also hypothesise that I've done all the exams/sim ride and converted my UK issued EASA ATPL and C1 med to TC equivalent.

Do you airline guys know of any Europeans who have made a move like this?

I am very considerate of the feeder system in North America of 'moving up' from instructing to CPL jobs to regionals to mainline Airlines and appreciatively accept that a foreigner moving over into a jet job, and, in a way, taking an actual Canadian citizens 'place', might not be terribly welcome, you'd possibly be a bit of an outsider...nor would the airlines themselves potentially be particularly receptive to it for similar reasons...I'm just curious if anyone knows if it has happened and if so what is the prevalence of it?

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: European Pilots at AC?

Post by Sharklasers »

Oh yeah it's been done.
If your good to go immigration wise and can work in Canada they will consider you like any other candidate.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Almost no white person in Canada is more than two generations from immigrant. Once you get a work permit, nobody cares where you were born.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Just double checked the air canada website to make sure and it is as it has always been; canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status and you are good to go, along with the Canadian licences of course.
Never worked there but have three close friends and numerous acquaintances there, one of them being a now long retired immigrant from Europe. Heard of a few others as well through social conversations.
You will not encounter any sort of obstacles.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

photofly wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 pm Almost no white person in Canada is more than two generations from immigrant. Once you get a work permit, nobody cares where you were born.
Except for all of the Quebecers whose families arrived in the mid 16 hundreds and the Newfies that have DNA that goes back to the Vikings.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

There are a lot of European pilots at Air Canada. To work here you need to have:

1. A Canadian citizenship (or)
2. Be a landed immigrant (or)
3. Have a valid work visa

From the time I arrived in Canada until I received my Canadian citizenship was 5 years. After 3 years you can apply for it and depending on how keen you are and how quickly the government moves, you can get it anywhere between 2 months - 2 years.

I was working as a pilot, not at AC, and I was not (yet) a Canadian citizen, but I did have the legal right to reside and work in Canada. Basically I had the same rights as a Canadian citizen, except the right to vote.

Now if you mean (as an example) "Are there any Norwegian Pilots that have been hired directly from Europe to fly for Air Canada?"... I doubt it. Not unless they found a way to get the legal right to work in Canada. (Never mind converting their licenses).

Das ist mir wurst...
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

nil_defect_found wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:33 am Hi guys,

I was advised to check out the AVC forums for a question I had regarding hiring at AC. Just wondering if anybody knows of any European guys who have made the move over and now operate for AC?

ATPL, A320 typed and current.

Let us hypothesise that although I'm a British citizen, immigration hoops are magically cleared via marriage to my Canadian missus or naturalisation or whatever and I am granted the right to live and work in Canada.

Let us also hypothesise that I've done all the exams/sim ride and converted my UK issued EASA ATPL and C1 med to TC equivalent.

Do you airline guys know of any Europeans who have made a move like this?

I am very considerate of the feeder system in North America of 'moving up' from instructing to CPL jobs to regionals to mainline Airlines and appreciatively accept that a foreigner moving over into a jet job, and, in a way, taking an actual Canadian citizens 'place', might not be terribly welcome, you'd possibly be a bit of an outsider...nor would the airlines themselves potentially be particularly receptive to it for similar reasons...I'm just curious if anyone knows if it has happened and if so what is the prevalence of it?

Thanks.
As long as you have a work permit, you can try an apply for that coveted 54k CAD/year job as an air canada FO.

The above sentence does actually not contain any sarcasm. But do plan ahead and see if it is actually worth it.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

digits_ wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 pm
As long as you have a work permit, you can try an apply for that coveted 54k CAD/year job as an air canada FO.
Sadly, you're 100% correct.

When a pilot at "Canada's leading" carrier can not afford to live in the city that his employer resides, there is something significantly wrong with the Canadian (Aviation) industry as a whole.

Das ist mir wurst...
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

photofly wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:36 pm Almost no white person in Canada is more than two generations from immigrant. Once you get a work permit, nobody cares where you were born.
That's blatantly not true.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Lightchop wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:01 am
I’m at least 7 generations or is the conservatives say “old stock”

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

av8ts wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am
One of my friends can trace himself back like a dozen generations it's quite interesting. They're from the Queen Charlotte Islands.

olddirty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by olddirty »

I think they are calling it Haida Gwaii these days, probably have been for the last dozen generations too if they're local.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 am

One of my friends can trace himself back like a dozen generations it's quite interesting. They're from the Queen Charlotte Islands.
Queen Charlotte's are a beautiful place to visit.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Leaving aside hyperbole on one side, and surveys with a sample size of one on the other let's see what Statistics Canada has to say.
http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/nhs-enm/2011 ... _2-eng.cfm

In 2011 39.3% of the population of Canada had at least one parent born outside of Canada. That isn't "the vast majority", but it is a very sizeable majority. That proportion rises considerably in metropolitan areas: in Toronto, in 2011, 75.8% of the population had at least one foreign-born parent.

Those percentages are forecast to rise (https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/91- ... 01-eng.htm)

"Together, immigrants and second-generation individuals could represent nearly one person in two (between 44.2% and 49.7%) in 2036, up from 2011 (38.2%)."

The point I was trying to make (and I'm sorry it got lost) is that Canada is a country that depends on and welcomes immigrants. To its credit, in my opinion, as an immigrant. I don't think the OP has to worry that he or she might be "taking an actual Canadian citizens 'place', might not be terribly welcome, you'd possibly be a bit of an outsider.."

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
musicalpilotchairs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by musicalpilotchairs »

tsgas wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:56 pm
Except for all of the Quebecers whose families arrived in the mid 16 hundreds and the Newfies that have DNA that goes back to the Vikings.
Hmm and the Scots around the same time,
However we are all immigrants to this land including the so called natives.

Return to “Air Canada”