The missing F/A Passport in YWG...and detaining all the passengers for questioning?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

The missing F/A Passport in YWG...and detaining all the passengers for questioning?

Post by A321 »

Finding the story out of YWG last week a little troubling... On an AC flight from YUL-YWG (I assume an A320) a week ago last Sunday, passengers were detained for up to 90 minutes on the aircraft on arrival in YWG as a Flight Attendant's passport had gone missing? According to news reports all passengers were detained on board the aircraft, questioned by the RCMP, and their passports photographed.

The obvious question that comes to mind is ...What was AC thinking? Is this a Captain's decision to detain all the passengers on board the aircraft for questioning or AC management? Is it not the sole responsibility of the passport owner to ensure their passport is safe? Are all AC passengers considered criminals until proven innocent when it comes to missing crew belongings? I would bet if any passenger had lost his/her passport on this flight, the passenger would be dealing directly with the passport office and not have the luxury of detaining a 100+ fellow passengers for questioning.

Will the public ever hear if the missing passport was every recovered and if so, was it found in the F/A's belongings? Feel sorry for the passengers on this AC flight. I will continue to buy Biz class seating on AC as you never know what will happen on an AC flight these days... so you might as well be comfortable... and hopefully questioned first if Crew belongings go missing during the flight! :shock:
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: The missing F/A Passport in YWG...and detaining all the passengers for questioning?

Post by photofly »

I wait to hear from Rookie50.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: The missing F/A Passport in YWG...and detaining all the passengers for questioning?

Post by Rockie »

I don't know the circumstances or whether or not the passport was found, or where. But it sounds like the passengers were questioned in support of the police investigation and not because the captain or company ordered them to stay. We have no authority to detain anyone on the ground. Nor do we want to because it makes for unhappy passengers and delays both the crew and the aircraft who are needed elsewhere.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Something strange here, if it is strictly a domestic flight within Canada passport isn’t required as part of a picture Id to access the stirile area, citizens of Canada are not required to hold a passport for travel within their own country. Identification with a picture is a requirement, I use my drivers licence.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

It was one of the crew's passports. We have to be in possession of them at all times domestic or not while working.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Rockie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 am It was one of the crew's passports. We have to be in possession of them at all times domestic or not while working.
Is that a company rule or an actual law?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

Company rule. You could be reassigned to a Transborder or international flight any moment.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 am It was one of the crew's passports. We have to be in possession of them at all times domestic or not while working.
Fair enough. I should have qualified it as a passenger who isn’t required by employment directives to be in possession of a passport while flying/ travelling domestically. Best example of that would be yours truly, be interesting if I was on that flight and cops detained it looking to photograph passports and I told them I don’t have such because I am not required to. Is there a link to this story as I haven’t seen such on any of the news sites in which a few I subscribe to.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

I just googled it and saw a blurb about a lawyer complaining the RCMP had no right to detain the people like that. No other details. And you're right about domestic flights not requiring a passport for passengers, all they ask for is some form of government picture ID. Lots of people use their drivers license, aircrew tend to use their RAIC pass which is also acceptable.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:51 am I just googled it and saw a blurb about a lawyer complaining the RCMP had no right to detain the people like that. No other details. And you're right about domestic flights not requiring a passport for passengers, all they ask for is some form of government picture ID. Lots of people use their drivers license, aircrew tend to use their RAIC pass which is also acceptable.
The lawyer is more than likely quite right. Canadian citizens have the constitution right to lawfully go about their business without interference from the state after all they were cleared through the sterile departure area in accordance with Canadian law. In my old age I am armed with a hefty degree of skepticism/ suspicion- which is common amongst this demographic- of the motivations by border security and law enforcement. I am beginning to wonder if it is of an appeasement nature to that guy south of the border under the direction of the Government.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

How would they even know it's missing? Mine stays in my bag until I need it. I don't randomly "check" to see if it's there.

Fishy is right...

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:13 am I wait to hear from Rookie50.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Oh come ON.... it’s an airline customer service issue... how can you NOT tell us what you think?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:41 pm Oh come ON.... it’s an airline customer service issue... how can you NOT tell us what you think?
I'm really bored? :rolleyes:

They are all long bus rides to me now. Some nicer than others, usually depending on how crowded it is or isn't.

Reality is, usually if one is nice to people, they are nice to you. Usually. I travel a fair bit and this rule serves me well. Gate agents, FA's, Customs, Ect. Extremely rarely have an issue. Delays happen.

Get on. Listen to safety brief. Stay awake until it's apparent the T/O is uneventful. Zone out.

I rode the TTC first time in a while lately. And the Go train. It's all the same. Just longer. (Sometimes way longer --- after the 3rd connecting flight its enough )

Happy? :mrgreen:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Lightchop wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:07 pm
How would they even know it's missing? Mine stays in my bag until I need it. I don't randomly "check" to see if it's there.

Fishy is right...
I can think of many plausible reasons a FA might notice their passport missing in flight. Too many in fact.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Rockie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:54 pm
Lightchop wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Fishy is right...
I can think of many plausible reasons a FA might notice their passport missing in flight. Too many in fact.
Well don't stop there..

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Lightchop wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 am Well don't stop there..
The flight attendants share the cabin with passengers and keep their stuff in the only place they can, within reach of passengers. They might want to check their belongings every now and again since they cannot monitor it while working in the cabin. FA's also may have need of one of the many items they carry with them during a flight (FA manual, lypsol, pen, feminine product, cookie...go wild with your imagination) and in retrieving it notice their passport missing. Does any of that sound plausible?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:54 am
Lightchop wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 am Well don't stop there..
The flight attendants share the cabin with passengers and keep their stuff in the only place they can, within reach of passengers. They might want to check their belongings every now and again since they cannot monitor it while working in the cabin. FA's also may have need of one of the many items they carry with them during a flight (FA manual, lypsol, pen, feminine product, cookie...go wild with your imagination) and in retrieving it notice their passport missing. Does any of that sound plausible?
The male FA's will now be offended-------------------------- :shock:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well, I'm sure there are male products neither of us know about.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:50 am Well, I'm sure there are male products neither of us know about.
Now that is disturbing. :shock:

Return to “Air Canada”