The E190 and Sky Regional discussion

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

The E190 and Sky Regional discussion

Post by GATRKGA »

All of the new hires at Sky Regional are being told that there’s a big announcement coming this fall, and many are speculating it’s the E190.

I always thought ACPA had a hard rule in the scope clause for 76 PAX, and that this would never happen.

What’s the word like at AC? Can someone shed some light?
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The E190 and Sky Regional discussion

Post by atphat »

That would be a disgusting turn of events. I don’t think even the AC group is cow towed enough for that to happen.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I do know there is a huge new hangar being built in YYZ, ultimate fleet goal is 50 fins. Been told more hulls are coming, but I was told a while back by one of our uppers that definitely not 190's.... that may have changed in the last 6 months... but doubtful.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Probably taking over Air Georgian's stake. Nobody seems happy with that arrangement.
Or maybe Chorus will buy them out and merge Jazz and Sky Regional.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Company’s always have a “big announcement” coming when they are desperately trying to keep guys around, it’s a carrot nothing else.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There was a big announcement coming to Jazz last year. It turned out we got new uniforms and the planes started getting the new paint scheme. Maybe Sky is getting the C Series aka A220? :roll:

Let’s Go Brandon
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:36 pm Maybe Sky is getting the C Series aka A220? :roll:
I sure hope not!! ACPA is strong enough to not give up scope to allow the 190 (I sure hope!!).... Hell will freeze over before they let the C series go to express!!

Some people get the idea that because they are BBD planes they should go to express... the CS100 is bigger than an A319, and the CS300 is bigger than a 320!! The CS300/A220-300 that AC has ordered will be comparable to the 319s in terms of payload, with a 20% lower fuel burn.

Maybe the big news is to do with the union at Sky!!

planett
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by planett »

Maybe the "Big Announcement" is a Scent Free Workplace.👍

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

planett wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm Maybe the "Big Announcement" is a Scent Free Workplace.👍
That makes scents!!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Latest rumour... the BIG announcement is they’re getting new uniforms....

Pants that don’t cut off the blood supply to your feet, and functioning back pockets... and maybe side pockets that end above the knee!

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

As a Sky Regional pilot, I’m very confident that it’s not the E190s. My understanding is our management “tried very hard to get the E190s on Sky property, but Air Canada was prevented from allowing it due to their scope agreement with ACPA, and therefore the idea never went anywhere.” That’s paraphrasing what Russ Payson said in one of our pilot meetings in the fall of last year. I don’t think Air Canada is looking to open that can of worms any time soon, especially with the current agreement they have now with ACPA and the ongoing Rouge expansion.

I can tell you that the vast majority of pilots here don’t want to be flying the E190s - we want to improve our own pay and working conditions on the aircraft we’re already flying, not taking good jobs from Air Canada pilots for more work and half the salary. Only the truly shortsighted among Sky pilots would be in support of something like this, especially given that 99% of new hires are coming here with the intention of going to mainline.

As far as big announcements, that rumour must be confined to YYZ since I haven’t heard anything about it here in YUL. There were rumblings about adding more E175s to the fleet this year, but given the rate of attrition and how thinly stretched our staffing is at present, I’d be very surprised if our management thought they could crew any more airplanes than we’re already flying. Your guess is as good as mine.

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

066FB111-6551-4E82-928B-87A1440ADD33.gif
066FB111-6551-4E82-928B-87A1440ADD33.gif (498.42 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Weak meme game.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

This really has nothing to do with Air Canada. Not sure why it's here.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Hypothetical:

If sky and ggn or sky and jazz were to merge, whos contract would the pilots fly under ?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

iflyroads wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm Hypothetical:

If sky and ggn or sky and jazz were to merge, whos contract would the pilots fly under ?
AC wants diversity in its Express feed. It’s wants multiple companies fighting for the work. If Jazz and Sky were to merge then AC would just find another company to do some Express flying.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

av8ts wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:15 pm
iflyroads wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm Hypothetical:

AC wants diversity in its Express feed. It’s wants multiple companies fighting for the work. If Jazz and Sky were to merge then AC would just find another company to do some Express flying.
Likely but it would take a bit to get off the ground. My question was related to maybe if sky merged with either company would they have to fly under that company's wawcon?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

No way I'd ever give up any of the Jazz contract. Remember who's unionized and who isn't.

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

Massa Payson and his band of aviation management washouts have been telling their pilots that the 190s are coming ever since they got the first E175 in 2013.

It ain't happening.

Scope is not up for debate in the ACPA CBA until 2023 at the earliest. And even if it was, Sky can barely staff the airplanes they've got. End of discussion.

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

The 'big' announcement is simply that they aren't renewing the license for Merlot. So they are voting on a 'fair' vs seniority bid system as the new cheapo-pilot-scheduler-software-plus isn't capable of doing the existing hybrid bidding.

E190s will never go to anyone as

- it would the most colossal scope-clause collapse in North American aviation
- most of the 190s are destined for the desert soon. Embraer doesn't do life extension - they still cant figure out icing detection 20 years later.
- some lease machines are already committed to other operators in a few years.

Also,

C-Series will never go outside mainline as their maintenance and purchase was the only reason the Manitoba and Quebec governments dropped their Supreme-Court lawsuit. To pawn off the C-Series would result in decades of frivolous stuff in the courts that would not be worth it. There's still class actions pending because of Aveos...

Return to “Air Canada”