Cannabis Policy ???

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cannabis Policy ???

Post by land3 »

Retired guy here.....anyone care to share what mothercorp has deciding on cannabis policy for flight crew?
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Cannabis Policy ???

Post by flyer 1492 »

TC trumps (pardon the pun) what ever AC may come up with. The official line from my CAME is "Thou shall not use it".

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

CAME's are not regulators so that's not really an official line. TC's in a tough spot to say anything since an out right ban could be fought as a human rights violation. I kind of doubt they will come out with bong to throttle regulations like they have for alcohol because there isn't enough science about impairment yet. Air Canada currently states that social drug use other that alcohol is strictly prohibited.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

TC will have to come up with a rule, too many PPLs bombing around, something will have to be published I would hope. AC is also in a tough position possibly more with ramp personal in a safety position without a license but will be interesting to see.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

The Canadian Forces recently released their new cannabis policy. The general rule is no less than 8 hours before any duty, 24 hours before driving a vehicle or operating any weapon, and for aircrew it's 28 days prior to any flight duty or any training in a hypobaric chamber (same goes for parachutists) due to the potential for the effects being amplified at high altitude. I imagine TC will take a similar stance in time, since an outright ban would probably not go over well.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Well apparently cops can use, and they carry firearms.

https://vancouversun.com/cannabis/canna ... t-for-duty

With the whole kerfufle with the USA right now, I'm sure motherships stance will be "don't use, and if you do and loose your job because you're banned from the USA don't come crying to us."

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

This whole human rights thing is driving me up the wall...

Geebus... the thing has been illegal like forever, can folks just be happy that it is becoming legal and accept that there will be lots of restrictions....at least to start with? Keep it very restrictive at first with the caveat that regulation could loosen up as data over use becomes available and proper conclusions can be derived. It would be a helluva lot harder to go the other way ie make it loose to start with and find out later that it doesn't work and THEN further restrict. There will be riots.

So what if it were outright banned from aviation... and law enforcement, Military, Healthcare, etc... It is my humble opinion that if people in these jobs can't function or socialize (for what ever reason) without using canabis, then perhaps they should reconsider their line of work. It's not like they would be taking anything away, it's already illegal. Folks would just have to stay the course and accept the consequences post-legalization the same way some have been until now.

2 cents,

Last edited by Outlaw58 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

No making something illegal for only part of the population is the definition of discrimination.
I also laugh at AC policy to strictly all social drug but alcohol. I wonder how many smoking a cigarette or drinking a coffee realize they violate that policy.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Victory wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am CAME's are not regulators so that's not really an official line. TC's in a tough spot to say anything since an out right ban could be fought as a human rights violation.
Where do people come up with all of these things that are supposed human rights violations? Where is there written a human right to consume a specific substance? This argument has repeatedly rejected by courts of every level in Canada (see SCC PHS Health Services, if I recall correctly). There are many existing prohibitions for consuming medication and holding a medical. I don't care one way or the other, but there will be some sort of rule in place, and it certainly won't be a human rights violation.

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

The FOM supersedes whatever transport comes out with anyways....so AC can definitely ban it for their pilots. If companies can say a guy drilling a hole in the ground in northern alberta cant smoke pot, what makes you think the boys upstairs at AC cant make that same call..?

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Outlaw58 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 am This whole human rights thing is driving me up the wall...

Geebus... the thing has been illegal like forever, can folks just be happy that it is becoming legal and accept that there will be lots of restrictions....at least to start with? Keep it very restrictive at first with the caveat that regulation could loosen up has data over use becomes available and proper conclusions can be derived. It would be a helluva lot harder to go the other way ie make it loose to start with and fins out later that it doesn't work and THEN further restrict. There will be riots.

So what if it were outright banned from aviation... and law enforcement, Military, Healthcare, etc... It is my humble opinion that if people in these jobs can't function or socialize (for what ever reason) without using canabis, then perhaps they should consider their line of work. It's not like they would be taking anything away, it's already illegal. Folks would just have to stay the course and accept the consequences post-legalization the same way some have been until now.

2 cents,

Agreed

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

yvrflyguy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 am The FOM supersedes whatever transport comes out with anyways....so AC can definitely ban it for their pilots. If companies can say a guy drilling a hole in the ground in northern alberta cant smoke pot, what makes you think the boys upstairs at AC cant make that same call..?
Well marijuana is still currently illegal. What will be interesting is what happens after October with regards to that guy drilling a hole in the ground.

The FOM could say 'all alcohol use is strictly banned' which would supersede TC. It would be up to the employee to file a complaint with the human rights tribunal or other court if they were dismissed under this policy and they felt it was unjust.

I think it will be a long time before any pilot challenges these rules though because of the stigma around marijuana would make it difficult for them to win in the court of public opinion. They would lose likely lose social status and career opportunity even if they won their case. Hopefully some rich oldtimer close to retirement puts these policies to the test so we can at least get an official stance from the government.

readyou5by5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by readyou5by5 »

Victory wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am I kind of doubt they will come out with bong to throttle regulations like they have for alcohol.
Toke-to-yoke has a better flow to it

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

readyou5by5 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 pm
Victory wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:37 am I kind of doubt they will come out with bong to throttle regulations like they have for alcohol.
Toke-to-yoke has a better flow to it
That is the win! :prayer:

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

yvrflyguy wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:24 am The FOM supersedes whatever transport comes out with anyways....so AC can definitely ban it for their pilots. If companies can say a guy drilling a hole in the ground in northern alberta cant smoke pot, what makes you think the boys upstairs at AC cant make that same call..?
The FOM only supersedes TC regulations when the the FOM is more restrictive

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Police will be allowed to use marijuana between shifts as long as they are"fit for duty", and they have firearms. It could be argued that in a normal day at work they are responsible for hundreds of lives too. I don't think pilots should use marijuana because I've seen the mental effects of long term use first hand. But if police are allowed it's hard to argue pilots should be outright banned.

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

There are 2 sets of laws in Canada, 1 for the elite and the cops and another for the rest of us !

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'm not going to be smoking any pot... So I could care less about a ban if that's what the mothership wants.

BUT it has a cost if they want to regulate my legal behaviour in my private time. What we do in our private time is not Flight Operations Manual relevant and they can't unilaterally impose behaviour on us.

They will have to negotiate it, and I will want to be compensated for it... they will have to fix a whole bunch of things in our contract if they want to regulate our law abiding lives.

I think it's a good investment for them. Preempt any misunderstandings enforcement/customs/media related or otherwise from the start, and fix some of the pilots problems.

I'd feel good about that compromise. Win-Win.

If they are looking to just impose restrictions on legal behaviour in my free time, I might have to take up smoking pot out of spite.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

altiplano wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm If they are looking to just impose restrictions on legal behaviour in my free time, I might have to take up smoking pot out of spite.
Why wait? Just crush a couple beers five minutes before the start of your next duty day. It’s your free time, after all.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

lownslow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:07 pm If they are looking to just impose restrictions on legal behaviour in my free time, I might have to take up smoking pot out of spite.
Why wait? Just crush a couple beers five minutes before the start of your next duty day. It’s your free time, after all.
We have a responsibility to be fit for duty and comply with CARs and Canadian law. Your attempt at an argument is against the law and isn't at all analogous to what I'm saying.

Return to “Air Canada”