Uniform question

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Uniform question

Post by ogopogo »

If a Captain moves to an F/O position (probably not common, but I know it does happen), does he/she go back to three stripes?
---------- ADS -----------

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Uniform question

Post by Lightchop »

Of course.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

Shady McSly wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:20 pm Image
Gets me every single time.

land3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by land3 »

Brings back memories of this YWG DC9 skipper yoyo that had to bid down to F/O to be able to slip into YVR in the early 80's. His PA's always started with:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your first officer captain speaking....."

Had us oilers rolling on the floor every time!

... good times!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think pre:Canadian merger AC was once a Captain always a Captain... you kept the stripe, but didn't get the scrambled eggs...

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

What's up with Air Canada pilots not wearing their full uniform these days? Quite often them not wearing the hat. I saw one taking his tie off in the terminal yesterday. Once you're done your flight are you allowed to just start stripping it off in public as you walk away from the plane?

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

Dry Guy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm What's up with Air Canada pilots not wearing their full uniform these days? Quite often them not wearing the hat. I saw one taking his tie off in the terminal yesterday. Once you're done your flight are you allowed to just start stripping it off in public as you walk away from the plane?
My company (not AC) stops paying my hourly rate when I set the parking brake for the last time on each leg and stops paying my perdiem 15 minutes after that so while walking through the terminal after a flight I would guess he/she was on their own time and no longer subject to uniform policy or restrictions.

See the other post (Cannabis Policy) about attempting to restrict peoples activities on their own time. My time has a predetermined value to me and my company, it is not free.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Perhaps if AC was serious about professionalism in the uniform business they shouldn't go with those lowest bidder bottom feeders at unisync... I've never seen anything like this, what a disgrace. It's shocking to think that with all of AC and Express business we get such a low quality product and horrible service. The only piece I wear that is provided is the tie. I'm still waiting for my hat which I've hear is B.O until Apr 2019. I have my own tapered fitted cut above shirts and dress pants. You'd think being a 4 star airline they could afford to send their front line employees to a tailor to fit a 5$ made in a Chinese sweat shop or North Korean Gulag.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think lots of guys are short hats. They never came with the original new uniform order last summer... Now some sizes are perpetually backordered, and the promised low profile hats never showed up, plus there have been lots of upgrades, guys haven't got their Captain hats, etc...

This company it highly disorganized to say the least.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 pm Perhaps if AC was serious about professionalism in the uniform business they shouldn't go with those lowest bidder bottom feeders at unisync... I've never seen anything like this, what a disgrace. It's shocking to think that with all of AC and Express business we get such a low quality product and horrible service. The only piece I wear that is provided is the tie. I'm still waiting for my hat which I've hear is B.O until Apr 2019. I have my own tapered fitted cut above shirts and dress pants. You'd think being a 4 star airline they could afford to send their front line employees to a tailor to fit a 5$ made in a Chinese sweat shop or North Korean Gulag.
Agreed. I wear the tie and had. The shirt and pants I buy from a supplier from the states. No one notices the difference but I can feel it.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

TSAM wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:41 am Uniform policy is any time within the terminal or airport operations area where you can be seen in public. Once out of terminal, do as you please. And perhaps AC is intentionally using cheap low cost uniforms. Guys will buy their own, thus more savings for the company.
An easy way around this policy, a black pullover sweater. Being a commuter, as soon as I'm off the clock the hat and tie come off, and the sweater goes on. In the summer I swap out for a polo. The sooner the public doesn't recognize me as a pilot the better.

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FADEC »

Previously, once you got through the process to become a Captain at AC, you wore four stripes forever after.
If you could no longer hold a Captain position due to cutbacks, or whatever reason, you had still proven you could become a Captain and wore the stripes.
Then a few persons got upset if they had four stripes in the right seat and started agitating for a change.
The reasons given were that it "Confused the Crew" and "Customers didn't like it".
First; if the crew was confused, there was certainly a problem; means the Captain didn't introduce themselves to the crew; a major Faux Pas for sure.
The customers if questioned were happier the more "Captains" they saw.
One of the agitators was a Check Pilot; one suggestion was just to give him five stripes; another was to give him an all gold uniform!
One anecdote was amusing;
One of the dissatisfied "Captains" was flying with an F/O wearing four stripes. This "Captain" expressed his concern about confusion and asked the F/O if he would mind putting on three bar epaulettes for that flight. The F/O pointed out that he didn't have any three bar epaulettes.
The aggrieved Captain pulled out a set and handed them to the F/O, who proceeded to put the three bars beside his four bars; total seven on each side.
Apparently the "Captain" was flabbergasted and said nothing more about the subject.

ARGO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ARGO »

What type of post secondary education did he have?

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Did he ever want to own a flower shop?

Have Pratts - Will Travel
PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

He probably would enjoy the work of a park ranger.

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

The uniforms are peices of sh¡t. The less time in them the better. The VF uniform, while still a bulk purchased uniform was okay. Unysync is terrible, with worse customer service.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

ZBBYLW wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:41 am The uniforms are peices of sh¡t. The less time in them the better. The VF uniform, while still a bulk purchased uniform was okay. Unysync is terrible, with worse customer service.
So far I’m finding the unysync quality to be the same as VF. Being a normal build I find the pants a much better fit

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

No. They're junk.

The pants as junk, the shirts are just OK, the hats are junk (whatever happened to the nice union made hats with actual velvet on the front), the ties are junk (I've had 3 clip ons break).

Everything's junk.

Return to “Air Canada”