Memo to Senior AC Management: 737Max needs LieFlat Biz Product

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Memo to Senior AC Management: 737Max needs LieFlat Biz Product

Post by A321 »

COPA Airlines and Fly Dubai both have their 737MAXs configured with Lie Flat Biz class seat products...so why not AC? With so many international AC 737MAX flights lasting 5-6 hrs... why not cater to the Business traveler? If I was given the choice to fly a AC 737MAX on a redeye to England or an overnight flight from Hawaii, I'd be looking for the airline that has a Lie Flat Biz class seat. I'm sure AC crew on a deadhead flight would appreciate the 737MAX more as well, with a lie flat Biz class product....
---------- ADS -----------

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Memo to Senior AC Management: 737Max needs LieFlat Biz Product

Post by PROC_HDG »

Because they have a whole team of marketing professionals who understand what their customers want/are willing to pay for? Or maybe one dude on the internet is picking up on a huge mistake they totally missed when they ordered millions of dollars worth of airplanes.

PROC_HDG

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

They have a different, smaller aft galley than any other airline I’ve seen to fit more seats. I’m pretty sure they won’t be willing to give up those seats so someone can lie flat.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

A321 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:53 am COPA Airlines and Fly Dubai both have their 737MAXs configured with Lie Flat Biz class seat products...so why not AC? With so many international AC 737MAX flights lasting 5-6 hrs... why not cater to the Business traveler? If I was given the choice to fly a AC 737MAX on a redeye to England or an overnight flight from Hawaii, I'd be looking for the airline that has a Lie Flat Biz class seat. I'm sure AC crew on a deadhead flight would appreciate the 737MAX more as well, with a lie flat Biz class product....
The 737 isn't sold as business class on the overseas product. Sold as premium economy. And the majority of it's flying is domestic/transborder that doesn't support the lie flat product.

Besides. who else can you take in a lie flat configuration from the west coast Canada/US to Hawaii? Nobody. There is no lie flat choice for you. It's primarily a price sensitive vacation travel market. It didn't support the 767 anymore... when Westjet started the route all economy, often tech-stopping, 737s and wetleased 757s they ate AC's lunch.

A red eye to England? Out of YYT or YHZ? Again no alternate lie flat choices. If you want that, connect thru YUL or YYZ. Or the small market Europe stuff out of YYZ/YUL - do a connection and you can get lie flat for the crossing.

I have a friend who goes to ATH often, when it went to the LCC 767, he stopped going direct... always MUC or FRA... but the yields on the route from most passengers didn't support making money with front mostly empty.

The reason there is no lie flat aircraft on these routes from any operators is demand, both for total number of seats and number of high yield travelers. Maybe launching the 737 on them will stimulate a move to, or back to, larger aircraft on the route eventually.

As for crew appreciation? LOL...

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A321 »

altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:22 am Besides. who else can you take in a lie flat configuration from the west coast Canada/US to Hawaii? Nobody. There is no lie flat choice for you.

Um...Delta, United, Hawaiian all offer a lie flat product from the West Coast (US) to Hawaii.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Do any of the 320’s at AC have a lie flat?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

A321 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 am
altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:22 am Besides. who else can you take in a lie flat configuration from the west coast Canada/US to Hawaii? Nobody. There is no lie flat choice for you.

Um...Delta, United, Hawaiian all offer a lie flat product from the West Coast (US) to Hawaii.
I thought United/Delta were running 757 with a 2+2 front end - not full lay flat off the West Coast... anyways. Out of Canada anyways... no lay flat from anyone else...

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A321 »

Delta has run a 767-300 on a daily LAX-HNL-LAX turn...with a lie flat product for several years,
Hawaiian has a lie flat product on their A330 flights from the West Coast....
United has upgraded their domestic First 777 Cabin between SFO and HNL using some surplus 747 Lie flat seats. Having sampled their product this past August between HNL-SFO, then connecting to the AC787-900 signature service from SFO-YYZ... IMHO... The United flat bed is more comfortable to sleep on then the 787-900 lie flat even when you add the wafer thin AC Signature mattress.

Not all Canadians traveling to Hawaii start and end their journey in YVR. If I am traveling from Hawaii to central Canada on a redeye and there is a product available to not have me sleeping upright overnight, I'll purchase the comfort of a lie flat seat. Doesn't matter to me if I go thru LAX, SFO, SEA, SLC, DEN, MSP or even ATL.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There you go. You have options.

But it doesn't make sense to configure a 737 with lay flat seats for 99.9% of what they're doing... widely operated around the world and 2 operators have them configured lay flat... one in the unrealistic world of Dubai, so they don't count, and I don't know about what COPA's doing.

Anyway, daytime flights are available on HNL now too... then you don't have to go overnight without a lay flat.

I'd like to see the YYZ-HNL run come to Mainline - maybe one of the "new" 330s would be a good fit for it.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

altiplano wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 am But it doesn't make sense to configure a 737 with lay flat seats for 99.9% of what they're doing...
Exactly, why corner three or four tails that can only be dispatched for two or three routes?

Return to “Air Canada”