AC New hires please use your WB bid

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HpLpFeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC New hires please use your WB bid

Post by HpLpFeather »

.....And become the lowest paid WB FO’s in the world. Someone please give me an upside to this.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by HpLpFeather on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: AC New hires please us your WB bid

Post by HansDietrich »

It's so sad, I don't have any words. This is the "national" airline of Canada; one of the most expensive countries in the world. Anybody (pilot) who justifies this is an idiot.

Das ist mir wurst...
RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

haha and sit reserve for the next 3-4 years. what a joke

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

The only upside I can think of is getting the type rating and getting out.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Victory wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:43 pm The only upside I can think of is getting the type rating and getting out.
Which rarely happens.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

AC is reaping what they've sown with crappy 4 year flat pay and this "course right" BS.

The plea was a tad pathetic.

Why anyone would be anything other than an RP or a NB Skipper for the first 4 years is beyond my understanding.

For the record, United pilots earn nearly 3.5x an Air Canada pilot in their second year. No one in the world forces new hires to accept flat pay for as long as AC.

DP.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

That is right folks...

Air Canada did such a good job negotiating a pilot contract at such low levels that now they cant even crew Boeing 777 FO positions

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

groundpilot wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:44 pm That is right folks...

Air Canada did such a good job negotiating a pilot contract at such low levels that now they cant even crew Boeing 777 FO positions
Such a dilemma for pilots on flat salary.
2oxesp.jpg
2oxesp.jpg (79.91 KiB) Viewed 12621 times

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

groundpilot wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:44 pm That is right folks...

BINGO.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Doesn't matter. They could pay literally next to nothing and still have hundreds of applicants jumping in line.

Let’s Go Brandon
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

If you're an AC pilot and you think this is silly, then speak up! Go to your local meetings. Make a motion that your reps must bring forward a solution to fixing the starting pay at your next opener.

However, I'd wager no one will because AC has always had a contract that is there to protect the old Sr. pilots and by spending capital on new hire pay they will have less to spend on themselves.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 pm Doesn't matter. They could pay literally next to nothing and still have hundreds of applicants jumping in line.
Times are changing though. I'd say it's only around 50/50 now when I talk to other pilots and ask if their plan is to go to AC. Many people like the senior regional life, others are happy to work at places like SW/AT or similar.

AC is a good job in the long run but they really need to fix a significant amount of things to make it a proper career contract. Career meaning from beginning to end, not year 5 to end.

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

HpLpFeather wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 pm .....And become the lowest paid WB FO’s in the world. Someone please give me an upside to this.
Pretty sure FOs at Air Canada are the lowest paid pilots of any "national carrier", WB or not.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Year 1 flair 737 FO for 2019 is $67.89.... without having current AC rates in front of me it’s probably close to $10/hr more than a AC 777 FO

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

aerodude wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:48 pm
2oxesp.jpg
[/quote]

You're leaving out how much that narrow body Captain has to work, the mount of sectors they need to fly, they'll likely be on reserve as well, pressure of being a captain, losing half that money to taxes, etc.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

The baby boomer generation screwed the younger generations in so many ways. Situations like this are not unique to Air Canada.

I wonder what it will be like sharing the flight deck and swapping legs with someone that makes 6 six times as much as you and owns multiple properties and luxury vehicles while you rent someone's basement and take the bus to work.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

If Air Canada made Wide Body F/O the same status (get off flat pay) as a narrow body captain they would have no problem crewing the 777/787. To elaborate, if you bid widebody f/o it would get you off of 4 year flat pay just like going captain gets you off flat pay. I KNOW it will never happen because they don't have pay scales for anything year 1-4 other than the god awful flat pay. Would alleviate a lot of their crewing issues on widebody going forward

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:28 am The baby boomer generation screwed the younger generations in so many ways. Situations like this are not unique to Air Canada.

I wonder what it will be like sharing the flight deck and swapping legs with someone that makes 6 six times as much as you and owns multiple properties and luxury vehicles while you rent someone's basement and take the bus to work.
They're fighting for fly to 70 now!

Apparently a grievance has been filed.

5 more years at the trough...

If an arbitrator or the feds say AC has to make reasonable accommodation for these guys to fly all domestic schedules... or if the FAA/ICAO open it up past 65, it will happen immediately...

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

tdp19 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 am If Air Canada made Wide Body F/O the same status (get off flat pay) as a narrow body captain they would have no problem crewing the 777/787. To elaborate, if you bid widebody f/o it would get you off of 4 year flat pay just like going captain gets you off flat pay. I KNOW it will never happen because they don't have pay scales for anything year 1-4 other than the god awful flat pay. Would alleviate a lot of their crewing issues on widebody going forward
Why in the world should a WB FO get off flat pay?!?!?! This thought that flying a WB is some how harder and worth more than a narrow body is mind boggling. Less work and more pay. Further more IMHO no WB FO (outside of flat pay) should EVER make more than NB captain of the same seniority. The responsibilities do not compare.

The reason these WB FO spots are going Junior is lifestyle plain and simple. Junior WB means reserve, no 16 day cap and junior for YEARS. That's why nobody wants it. Nothing to do with pay. Perhaps if it paid more people would take the lifestyle hit for cash but I reiterate, this is a lifestyle issue.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

teacher wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:19 am
tdp19 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 am If Air Canada made Wide Body F/O the same status (get off flat pay) as a narrow body captain they would have no problem crewing the 777/787. To elaborate, if you bid widebody f/o it would get you off of 4 year flat pay just like going captain gets you off flat pay. I KNOW it will never happen because they don't have pay scales for anything year 1-4 other than the god awful flat pay. Would alleviate a lot of their crewing issues on widebody going forward
Why in the world should a WB FO get off flat pay?!?!?! This thought that flying a WB is some how harder and worth more than a narrow body is mind boggling. Less work and more pay. Further more IMHO no WB FO (outside of flat pay) should EVER make more than NB captain of the same seniority. The responsibilities do not compare.

The reason these WB FO spots are going Junior is lifestyle plain and simple. Junior WB means reserve, no 16 day cap and junior for YEARS. That's why nobody wants it. Nothing to do with pay. Perhaps if it paid more people would take the lifestyle hit for cash but I reiterate, this is a lifestyle issue.
While I agree the responsibilities don’t compare, it is comical to think a pilot would defend a 4 years flat pay system. 4 years is a long time.

What is also comical is how when you look at the B777 FO list, that is where you will find the pilots who couldn’t upgrade. Many of these pilots are “special” and probably wouldn’t be my choice for flying my family. But yet they are “entitled “ to top end pay and make more than year 10 Captains on the Embrear, A320 and B737.

The less talented pilots work less to make more. Welcome to cronyism

But hey, keep defending that flat pay pal

Return to “Air Canada”