AC New hires please use your WB bid

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Observer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AC New hires please us your WB bid

Post by Observer »

altiplano wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:38 pm I get it... You still believe everything your representatives tell you.

http://www.cwipp.ca/about_why_join.aspx
Participation in CWIPP is open to any employer who has a collective bargaining agreement with a CLC-affiliated union.
http://www.alpa.org/en/about-alpa/what- ... filiations
In Canada, ALPA is affiliated with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), which represents more than 3.3 million unionized Canadian workers.
Dang...You got me. You need to send this to the Westjet and Transat pilots, and then they can show it to the CWIPP Board of Trustees and say, "But your website says you have to let us in!"

Actually, there's a lot more to this than what you've written there. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you didn't read the various NC and PC newsletters that explained the issue. Or that you didn't email an ACPA committee member to ask them directly. Or phone CWIPP, or a member of the WJ bargaining committee to ask them directly.

CWIPP has over 80 member groups spread across Canada with over 5000 active members. Up until last summer, all of these groups were in provincially regulated industries: automotive, manufacturing, nursing homes, etc. Over 3500 of theses active members are Ontario based, so that is the jurisdiction that governs the plan for all members, regardless of where they live and work. Ontario has favourable funding rules that give the CWIPP plan an exemption from 'solvency funding', which I don't really understand but apparently solvency funding is a lot stricter than the other funding rules that CWIPP is allowed to use. When ACPA joined, they became the first federally regulated group in the plan. We will add thousands of members, and in 15-20 years will probably outnumber the Ontario members (3500+). When this happens, the jurisdiction will become federal for all members in the plan and they will have to adopt solvency funding rules. This was a big concern for the Trustees, but they allowed it because over the next 15 years they expect the federal rules to be improved. So they agreed to let ACPA join CWIPP, but also stated that they would close the doors to any other federal groups until the federal funding rules improved, this was done to give them time.

So back to the point, yes, I believed it when our reps said that CWIPP was available to us in the fall of 2017, but might not be at a later date. This has proven to be true, and if you don't believe it, then phone a WJ or AT bargaining rep, or phone CWIPP yourself to ask. But don't believe anything they tell you, especially if they all tell you the same thing! That's proof they're all in on the 'burning platform' conspiracy. Keep digging! :wink:
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Observer on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lol...

They set up that burning platform real well for you...

You're still believing "Mea-culpa-MH" PC newsletters at face value?

Or the not-so-solid-language-need-an-MOA NC?

I once trusted and believed my reps too, so I understand where you're at...

Hoping for the best though! Fingers crossed that the feds don't change those caps on us...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

TheStig wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 pm I haven't heard or read of anyone defending the low hourly starting wages. I agree with everything Ratherbee said; 2 years at fixed rates is long enough and the rates should be over $80/hour to start without question. I know lots of pilots at AC who have earned 6 figures in their second year. This is largely due to the bonus paid based on the airline reaching financial targets, the amount paid is partially paid based on individual earnings and partially paid based on a sum of money divided up equally between pilots. This equalization is a departure from the 'screw the new guy' mentality so many posters seem to believe exists. In the latest contract re-opener great efforts were made to improve the DC pension plan for the benefit of not just new hires but those not yet on the property. Pilots hired since the (re)introduction of 4 years of fixed rates have enjoyed better schedules and pay than those hired before them, specifically those in the mid to late 90's. So feel free to rant away online with whatever you want to believe about how Air Canada's pilots and/or ACPA continue to 'eat their young' or whatever you think you know, but it doesn't seem to be a sentiment shared by those who have joined the airline.

The contract already allows for the company to release pilots from their new hire freeze, there is nothing to negotiate. Pilots were reminded that if they bid these WB positions there is a good chance they will be awarded it. If I was in my 3rd-4th year as an RP I would bid the right seat and double my pay shortly after training, I'm certain none of the pilots soon to be awarded these positions will be crying in their beers (in Mainz or Rome or Sydney) care about what their buddies on the Dash think of their career choices. I'm guilty of doing this as well, but its always amusing how pilots at other carriers always seem to have ideas about to fix issues they see at other airlines.
Pardon my ignorance on things AC but I thought B777 FO positions would be quite a sweet spot to aspire to. Why the so many vacancies, if I am reading this thread correctly.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Old fella wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am [quote=TheStig post_id=<a href="tel:1062317">1062317</a> time=<a href="tel:1544902062">1544902062</a> user_id=36317]
I haven't heard or read of anyone defending the low hourly starting wages. I agree with everything Ratherbee said; 2 years at fixed rates is long enough and the rates should be over $80/hour to start without question. I know lots of pilots at AC who have earned 6 figures in their second year. This is largely due to the bonus paid based on the airline reaching financial targets, the amount paid is partially paid based on individual earnings and partially paid based on a sum of money divided up equally between pilots. This equalization is a departure from the 'screw the new guy' mentality so many posters seem to believe exists. In the latest contract re-opener great efforts were made to improve the DC pension plan for the benefit of not just new hires but those not yet on the property. Pilots hired since the (re)introduction of 4 years of fixed rates have enjoyed better schedules and pay than those hired before them, specifically those in the mid to late 90's. So feel free to rant away online with whatever you want to believe about how Air Canada's pilots and/or ACPA continue to 'eat their young' or whatever you think you know, but it doesn't seem to be a sentiment shared by those who have joined the airline.

The contract already allows for the company to release pilots from their new hire freeze, there is nothing to negotiate. Pilots were reminded that if they bid these WB positions there is a good chance they will be awarded it. If I was in my 3rd-4th year as an RP I would bid the right seat and double my pay shortly after training, I'm certain none of the pilots soon to be awarded these positions will be crying in their beers (in Mainz or Rome or Sydney) care about what their buddies on the Dash think of their career choices. I'm guilty of doing this as well, but its always amusing how pilots at other carriers always seem to have ideas about to fix issues they see at other airlines.
Pardon my ignorance on things AC but I thought B777 FO positions would be quite a sweet spot to aspire to. Why the so many vacancies, if I am reading this thread correctly.
[/quote]

About 1100 pilots that are eligible to bid the 777/787 FO spots are locked into flat pay or have already bid Jr NB captain to escape it. Thus there is no real point in bidding a WB FO and essentially welding yourself to the bottom of the list for the foreseeable future as those 1100 pilots graduate to year 5, off flat pay and parachute in ahead of you. You will work a lot harder with less control of your schedule and be on reserve for no more money than a RP or sr NB FO.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Sharklasers wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am
Old fella wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:41 am [quote=TheStig post_id=<a href="tel:1062317">1062317</a> time=<a href="tel:1544902062">1544902062</a> user_id=36317]
I haven't heard or read of anyone defending the low hourly starting wages. I agree with everything Ratherbee said; 2 years at fixed rates is long enough and the rates should be over $80/hour to start without question. I know lots of pilots at AC who have earned 6 figures in their second year. This is largely due to the bonus paid based on the airline reaching financial targets, the amount paid is partially paid based on individual earnings and partially paid based on a sum of money divided up equally between pilots. This equalization is a departure from the 'screw the new guy' mentality so many posters seem to believe exists. In the latest contract re-opener great efforts were made to improve the DC pension plan for the benefit of not just new hires but those not yet on the property. Pilots hired since the (re)introduction of 4 years of fixed rates have enjoyed better schedules and pay than those hired before them, specifically those in the mid to late 90's. So feel free to rant away online with whatever you want to believe about how Air Canada's pilots and/or ACPA continue to 'eat their young' or whatever you think you know, but it doesn't seem to be a sentiment shared by those who have joined the airline.

About 1100 pilots that are eligible to bid the 777/787 FO spots are locked into flat pay or have already bid Jr NB captain to escape it. Thus there is no real point in bidding a WB FO and essentially welding yourself to the bottom of the list for the foreseeable future as those 1100 pilots graduate to year 5, off flat pay and parachute in ahead of you. You will work a lot harder with less control of your schedule and be on reserve for no more money than a RP or sr NB FO.
[/quote]

Ok think I have the AC picture, it is a four year flat pay issue in which you get the same basic salary for that time as a new hire no matter the assigned equipment at time of first appearance on the property. Only way out during that period is to get a junior NB Captain assignment. That correct?

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Old fella wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:27 pm
Sharklasers wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am

Ok think I have the AC picture, it is a four year flat pay issue in which you get the same basic salary for that time as a new hire no matter the assigned equipment at time of first appearance on the property. Only way out during that period is to get a junior NB Captain assignment. That correct?
[/quote]

Nailed it, though any captain position will do the trick.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Yikes, four years is one hell of a long time to be stuck at basic pay. Then again as someone pointed out, AC doesn’t seem to have much if any difficulty attracting guys/gals to their property.

HpLpFeather
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AC New hires please use your WB bid

Post by HpLpFeather »

After sparking a decent discussion let me add my two cents coming from someone with 9 years in the industry and less than a year at mainline. Feel free to comment on how I think.

To where I'm coming from : All of my decisions in my career so far have been learning from others career mistakes. eg. if you want to go to big red, live like a 703 FO while making 705 captains wage. (not always possible but one can try) Ive paid my dues working up north soaked in diesel (5 years), worked at the regionals (3 years) and now at ac. I commute about and hour away from yyz and will never aspire to move closer. I rent cheap and save lots. I drive a 2007 Toyota. Happily in my 1st marriage. 3 months away from being completely debt free. My RRSP has 25k in it which is the max you can put down on a first house.( we've been outbid on 4 houses and I refuse to pay 70% of my take home salary to a mortgage and im happy not owning a house because of this) Ive never been laid off and had ample job opportunities. Im very FORTUNATE to be in this position as Ive heard all the stories from the Pilots of the 2000-2008 era.

How new hires bid.

1.Bid anything to get to home base. (for the YUL YVR guys)

2. Anything rouge. 67 being the best option for a new hire 319 comes second. WHY? because your capped at 16 days a month, have socialized bidding no reserve and lots of opportunity to make some OT.

3. 320 Mainline and then bidding over to rouge asap.

4. 320/737 mainline and staying there as there will be people junior to you in the coming months. only a few months of reserve.

5. RP if you want to see the world and learn the WB lifestyle and you can afford flap pay. also a good option if your like me and want to be paid according to your work.

If you want it all go to rouge and work in the training department.

This is how I would bid being a new hire WITH options on flat pay. make money at rouge. get off flat pay. bid mainline 320 and sit reserve until you can hold 319 rouge capt and then sit pretty. After that you can bid the lifestyle you've worked hard to earn for the rest of your career.

For all the pension people. From what Ive seen now I'll be happy to retire on the generous pension that I've calculated on the ACPA website at 60 or 65.

Now flat pay has to change and I can assure you for the rest of my career I will continue to support raising the bar for our entire industry even if it means making a little bit less ( 20 years down the road) to make a HUGE chunk of pilots at the company a little happier. For those of you that don't know, 55% of the entire pilot group at AC has less than 7 years at the company I think this number alone is proof that times are changing.They're not all millennials but I'm sure in due time a lot of them will be, and millennials like to do what's right.(although some are entitled pieces of shit that don't deserve left seat of anything) Im constantly reminded that its been since the 60's that we've seen this kind of movement but its still way different now. we have movement, fleet growth, and profitability. Look at the last 3 years at AC financials and compare it to history and you'll see that it's never been quite like this. so NOW is the time to push for the better. NO more give and take in contract negotiations. keep the surveys coming and see how the pilot group really thinks. I would be happy with 80$ an hour flat pay for the first 12-24 months... NOT 48 months.

after all this said. I will not give up my FO WB course with less than 5 years at the company. I would also feel bad for the WB captains I would be flying with immediately after my line check having no company experience and 50 hours of overseas flying combine that with a 1 year RP and you have almost a single pilot 777. Not fun for a bitter 60 year old.

If there's a big economic crisis or the US opens up to letting us fly their planes we or AC could be in trouble. combine that with the new passenger bill of rights and duty regulations and this might just be the right time to start making some big moves ACPA.

DISLAIMER:

Everything I just mentioned about being happy where Im at and pay is based on having no more than 1 marriage.

Save the entitlement comments. Im just playing the cards Im delt. I think everyone needs to understand that times have NEVER been like this.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

....Feather.

Nicely put together dissertation, I have to say. As a non airline pilot and old guy(69 and not bitter) let me say that in the course of a lifetime you will be blindsided on some Thursday afternoon by an unforeseen situation. It has happened to us all. Also not mentioned in your preamble but most important is health, rest is secondary and recoverable. Look after your health and that of your family as there isn’t much I haven’t seen in that regard notably those who retired and never got beyond their first year. So sad!

Cheers.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Looks like the YYZ 77 and 87 spots went unfilled. Very interesting times around here.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Reap what you sow...

Gravity always wins
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

skypirate88 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:09 pm Looks like the YYZ 77 and 87 spots went unfilled. Very interesting times around here.
Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't all that mean is everything else got bid first? (Ie more positions available than pilots?) We've gotten into why that is on here, but eventually, they'll hire enough that you won't be able to have them unbid? Or is that not how the system works at all?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

As ze french would say, 'incroyable'.

Rock and a hard place only having one company in Canadian aviation that pays pilots a decent pension.

Too bad for those pilots with a more mature single income home life (because daycare is mega expensive) who have to decide on either having a solid pension, which also likely means taking their family to the food bank for the next 4 years if they can't bid NB kapitan in under 24 months AND pass said upgrade, all while chilling on reserve for the foreseeable future...

OR stick with a self managed contribution plan, make a decent salary with a significant but capped growth opportunity and maintain a relatively good, self prescribed lifestyle, minus travel bennies (but at least you can afford to pay for said tickets).

Granted there are games to be played, as posted above, if you can score the Rouge spots which seem to be few and far between at course selection, you can make money by picking up some draft / OT.

AC pilots, when it comes time to negotiate pay, do everyone a favour (because the industry unfortunately hinges on your salaries), fix that starting pay, and I mean, DOUBLE year 1 & 2 for starters.

S.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:55 pm OR stick with a self managed contribution plan, make a decent salary with a significant but capped growth opportunity and maintain a relatively good, self prescribed lifestyle, minus travel bennies (but at least you can afford to pay for said tickets).
Don't forget to mention having to look for a job every couple of years when the airplane you fly migrates from one end of YYZ to another. Oh, you are the last to learn about where the said airplane goes too.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

There is no question that 4 years of flat pay are not justified as a new hire is on probation for only one year and in training a lot less. A new pilot is contributing fully before the first year's end and therefore the pay should reflect it. Air Canada has been fortunate to attract pilots from most other airlines due to reasons mentioned, but market forces could change that quickly and Air Canada would be wise to increase the entry pay to market standards.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ki-ll wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:55 pm OR stick with a self managed contribution plan, make a decent salary with a significant but capped growth opportunity and maintain a relatively good, self prescribed lifestyle, minus travel bennies (but at least you can afford to pay for said tickets).
Don't forget to mention having to look for a job every couple of years when the airplane you fly migrates from one end of YYZ to another. Oh, you are the last to learn about where the said airplane goes too.
It can be frustrating, particularly if you liked the flying with said crew and ownership group. Most (not all) pilots I know, and I know a few, were happy for the change - some of the ones I knew upgraded not just in size but seat too (light jet captain to large jet captain). In a couple circumstances they went from on-call to a self managed rotation. Others were unhappy with their situation and made the choice to move and chase the cheddar, happiness still to be determined.

In a tighter market one might be nervous, but for now and the foreseeable future, charter is an...OK alternative - long term its a crap shoot though, and at retirement, there is no doubt that an AC pilot will walk away with more cheddar, but what have they traded over the course of their career for that?

I am also hearing fewer people are seeing the NB captain as a good solution to progress right away at AC because you burn a bid on a slot very few people want. Work life is very challenging and some after year 5/6 walk away from BOTL captain on the NBs to go mid seniority FO for the work life balance most were looking for in the first place.

Hmmm so some guys are willing to take an ~80k+ bath, and wait another ~10 years to bid left on the NBs, only to get back to normality. Now that's saying something in bold.

S.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 am I am also hearing fewer people are seeing the NB captain as a good solution to progress right away at AC because you burn a bid on a slot very few people want. Work life is very challenging and some after year 5/6 walk away from BOTL captain on the NBs to go mid seniority FO for the work life balance most were looking for in the first place.

Hmmm so some guys are willing to take an ~80k+ bath, and wait another ~10 years to bid left on the NBs, only to get back to normality. Now that's saying something in bold.

S.
I think that says a lot about flexibility offered by the operation. Picking your type work and income to fit your lifestyle at that moment in time.
As far as airline guys trading something more than charter guys for the bigger pension? Not sure that's the case but we can talk about it ad nauseam. I am sure best charter jobs pay well, pilots have decent schedule and vacation, they get to fly mechanically sound airplanes which they can snag and expect said sangs to be repaired, owners are not lunatics who demand to know why this month's cellphone bill is $50 more than the previous one. What if you didn't get the best charter job?

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Is widebody FO really such a bad job though? I just wonder if the motivation of those deriding it comes from the fact it used to take 10+ years to achieve the position and now it's going to new hires. There might be some jealousy that is causing their statements to be negative. What's so bad about a job where you often do 1 sector a day and spend half the time sleeping in the bunk? You also gain skill, and importantly don't lose skill, that might happen if you took a relief pilot position instead.

There is more pressure though that's for sure. Landing a 200 tonne jet is going to get the heart beating. Especially knowing any error is going to be international news. But with that is going to come job satisfaction, something that I wonder if relief pilots have.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Ki-ll wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 am I am also hearing fewer people are seeing the NB captain as a good solution to progress right away at AC because you burn a bid on a slot very few people want. Work life is very challenging and some after year 5/6 walk away from BOTL captain on the NBs to go mid seniority FO for the work life balance most were looking for in the first place.

S.
I think that says a lot about flexibility offered by the operation. Picking your type work and income to fit your lifestyle at that moment in time.
As far as airline guys trading something more than charter guys for the bigger pension? Not sure that's the case but we can talk about it ad nauseam. I am sure best charter jobs pay well, pilots have decent schedule and vacation, they get to fly mechanically sound airplanes which they can snag and expect said sangs to be repaired, owners are not lunatics who demand to know why this month's cellphone bill is $50 more than the previous one. What if you didn't get the best charter job?
The question that births from your question is; what defines best? I think that is individually based, but one would imagine that pay is above average, scheduled with multiple crew and interesting layovers. There are a few flight departments I can think of with that setup, but openings are usually filled very quickly.

There is no doubt within the scope of a national organization over a 30+ year career that one will find their niche. The next question therefore is how do we solve the first 4 years within said organization so it is never the punchline within said industry, without disrupting the careers of those with 20-30 years within said organization.

S.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

If they changed the pay on the first 4 years to be more or modified flat pay to 2 years, would they retroactively pay those who did the full 4? Otherwise I don't see those guys passing their vote.

Return to “Air Canada”